Storing bags after cruise

denrusk

Hey everyone. We have a late flight home (6:30pm) and dont want to spend all day at the airport. We are sailing on the Carnival Legend on July 12. Is there a way we can store our bags, or just have them transferred to the airport so we can spend the day in Tampa without them?

Thanks for any info on this!

Hey everyone. We have a late flight home (6:30pm) and dont want to spend all day at the airport. We are sailing on the Carnival Legend on July 12. Is there a way we can store our bags, or just have them transferred to the airport so we can spend the day in Tampa without them?

Thanks for any info on this!

I haven't sailed or flown out of Tampa in some time. But your bags can not be sent to the airport for pick up later on. You will need to make arrangements for baggage storage another way. Even check in at the airport for bags is now limited to a few hours before your flight.

I would try and book a room for the day---there's nothing worse than having no place 'to be' for hours and hours....I mean, how much sightseeing can you do, just riding around.....that makes for a miserable day. You'll be off the ship well before 9am, in most cases..that's a long time to "hang out".

If you book a hotel, you'll have a place of your own, a pool to use, restaurants, restrooms, shower.....just ever so much nicer!

Good question :). Luggage can be such as hassle, can't it?

Two things we've done:

One time we booked a ship's excursion for the morning of our return to port. This way our luggage was put onto the tour bus. When the tour ended, they dropped us at the airport along with the luggage.

Another time we took advantage of the luggage program offered by the ship in conjunction with the airlines. This was on NCL, but other cruiselines have the program also. We paid like $20 per person to participate and met the requirements. So, when we got off the ship, our luggage was sent on the airport by the cruiseline, so the only things we had to carry with us while wandering around Honolulu were our carry-ons. Nice program :cool:.

An option we haven't done yet, but I've read other people do ---

Some attractions have a luggage holding room you can use while visiting their facility.

For example, the aquarium near the Tampa port (within walking distance). Maybe their is an attraction you'd like to see that has the same kind of amenity.

There is a baggage storage room at the cruise ship terminal in Tampa. We used it when we cruised this past Jan. There was a fee but I dont think it was $20 PP. We have a family of 5 and I would have remembered paying that much:eek:.

We then checked out the aquarium and other things within walking distance of the port. Then we found out they would have stored our stuff for free at the aquarium because we were paying customers. Anyway the ans is yes you can have your bags stored... one way or another you pay but its not much.

There is a baggage storage room at the cruise ship terminal in Tampa. We used it when we cruised this past Jan. There was a fee but I dont think it was $20 PP. We have a family of 5 and I would have remembered paying that much:eek:.

We then checked out the aquarium and other things within walking distance of the port. Then we found out they would have stored our stuff for free at the aquarium because we were paying customers. Anyway the ans is yes you can have your bags stored... one way or another you pay but its not much.

Hi Mr. Tricky.

The $20 per person luggage program I was referring to is the one where the cruise ship either takes your luggage to the airport for you or the airport comes and picks up the luggage from all passengers signed up for the service (I'm not sure which it is).

It's a great way to get your luggage to the airport without taking it yourself. It frees you up so you can spend time in the port city before your flight...sightseeing without dragging your luggage along.

Once you set your luggage out for pickup, you won't see it again until you reach your home airport. Very cool program.

When we used it in Hawaii, our luggage actually beat us home! :eek:

Hi Mr. Tricky.

The $20 per person luggage program I was referring to is the one where the cruise ship either takes your luggage to the airport for you or the airport comes and picks up the luggage from all passengers signed up for the service (I'm not sure which it is).

It's a great way to get your luggage to the airport without taking it yourself. It frees you up so you can spend time in the port city before your flight...sightseeing without dragging your luggage along.

Once you set your luggage out for pickup, you won't see it again until you reach your home airport. Very cool program.

When we used it in Hawaii, our luggage actually beat us home! :eek:

This is not available for most cruise lines anymore. Since the airlines have now imposed baggage fees for checked luggage, they have not been offering it at most U.S. airports. :( (Southwest airlines seems to be the only chance of having this service now).

I've never been to Tampa but several years ago when cruising out of Miami we rented a compact car for the day & just threw the luggage in the trunk. For $24 it was nice to have the stuff secure & be mobile.

Many Carnival ships have one or 2 options for luggage service. If your ship and airline have an agreement there is Luggage Express. You pay 20 or what ever the baggage fee is, Carnival prints your boarding passes and luggage tags. You put your luggage out the night before and you don't see it again until you get to your home airport.

The other program you do either self assist or regular zone debarkation. Claim your bag then check it in at the pier airport kiosk. When you get to the airport you go to the baggage kiosk to claim your bags then check in just like normal. Sorry I don't know what the name of this method is.

I love Luggage Express, but again these options are not available on all ships and/or airlines.

You should be able to look over on your Legend roll call or read some reviews maybe someone has commented about their debarkation process.

Guest nhrich
This is not available for most cruise lines anymore. Since the airlines have now imposed baggage fees for checked luggage, they have not been offering it at most U.S. airports. :( (Southwest airlines seems to be the only chance of having this service now).

This won't help the OP, but Royal Caribbean offered it for several airlines (most of the majors except US Airways) last week at LAX. Baggage fees were added to the Sea Pass.

Archived