Anyone caught a taxi from Livorno pier to train station recently?

From doing a lot of reading here, it seems that taking a taxi from the ship to the train station in Livorno is the quickest and most efficient way to get to the station. Anyone have any recent experience with costs/availabilty of taxis at the port? Thanks!

From doing a lot of reading here, it seems that taking a taxi from the ship to the train station in Livorno is the quickest and most efficient way to get to the station. Anyone have any recent experience with costs/availabilty of taxis at the port? Thanks!

Keep in mind that there are really two sets of ports in Livorno; one close to town and the other quite further away. Because of this you will get different answers.

We were docked further away, in the true industrial area. We walked off the ship shortly after seven and immediately caught a taxi to the stazione. Five euro apiece - flat rate - no haggle!

Did you walk off the ship and into a taxi -- or did you have to take a ship shuttle out of the industrial area? I've heard various reports that you are required to take a shuttle in these ports and the shuttles have a high fee. Thanks for any info!

Did you walk off the ship and into a taxi -- or did you have to take a ship shuttle out of the industrial area? I've heard various reports that you are required to take a shuttle in these ports and the shuttles have a high fee. Thanks for any info!

We walked off the ship and went about 100 yards to the point that we got in the taxi.

Make sure you ask the cost of the trip before getting in the taxi. I forgot to do this and paid 5 euro more for the taxi from Livorno Centrale back to the ship than I did for the taxi from the ship to the train station.

We were in Livorno last year, and paid 10 euros for two people to the train station. There were plenty of cabs at the ship when we got off.

Joe

The amount mentioned by the previous poster 20 Euros was the same as a quote we got from a taxi driver at the port gates. We walked as it was a nice sunny morning last September.

In Rome we left our luggage at Termini and enjoyed a day in rome, we then got the train to the airport.There was a lot of schleping on this leg, and looking back we would take a taxi if we were to do it again as the price forthe train and taxi for three is similiar

We just got off Solstice TA and were in Livorno on 3 May 2009. The majority of the taxis were 8-passenger, and the cost from the pier to the train station was 20 Euro, whether you had 2, 4, 6, or 8 passengers. Same for the cost from the train station to the pier.

The ship charged either $10 or $12 per person from the pier to the port entrance, then you had to catch a bus/taxi onward or walk.

Get a group and take a taxi. Avoid the ship's bus.

We just got off Solstice TA and were in Livorno on 3 May 2009. The majority of the taxis were 8-passenger, and the cost from the pier to the train station was 20 Euro, whether you had 2, 4, 6, or 8 passengers. Same for the cost from the train station to the pier.

The ship charged either $10 or $12 per person from the pier to the port entrance, then you had to catch a bus/taxi onward or walk.

Get a group and take a taxi. Avoid the ship's bus.

I agree! We (2 of us) walked off the ship a few minutes after 07:00. There was a taxi right there (capacity 6) and wanted a flat €5 per person. It took us less than 2 minutes to find two other couples to fill the taxi.

I am getting so confused regarding this port:confused:. I read on another thread that Royal Caribbean was charging passengers $12. to transport them from the ship to the gates where they could get a taxi or meet their tour guides etc. Apparently you can no longer walk to the gates because of security/safety reasons as this is a working port. If this is the case it will be a pretty expensive port to get out of ($12. for the shuttle, 5 Euros each way for the taxi and then the train fare to and from Florence). We will be there for two days.

Has anyone else heard this as well?

I am getting so confused regarding this port:confused:. I read on another thread that Royal Caribbean was charging passengers $12. to transport them from the ship to the gates where they could get a taxi or meet their tour guides etc. Apparently you can no longer walk to the gates because of security/safety reasons as this is a working port. If this is the case it will be a pretty expensive port to get out of ($12. for the shuttle, 5 Euros each way for the taxi and then the train fare to and from Florence). We will be there for two days.

Has anyone else heard this as well?

You will be docked at an inconvenient place (we were on the same cruise last Oct). Taxis will be available at the ship. No need to take the shuttle. You might want to be certain as to where the shuttle stops in Livorno in case you want to take the shuttle back to the ship.

Before you leave the ship, get the name of the dock where you are (or get the taxi driver to write it down for you). This will be very important if you need to take a taxi back to the ship.

We asked our taxi driver about the name of our dock so we would know where to go on the way back--he said just tell the return taxi driver the name of the ship. This worked fine--at the gate he said we were going to the Oosterdam and was directed to the correct dock.

Archived