Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

I have booked a tour guide to show us around Dubrovnick and Split, and am paying both in Euros, but I am trying to figure out about how much Kuna I need for a cab both to and from the port to Pile Gate,, entrances to the wall and other attractions, and about how much for lunch each day

The tour in Split covers entrance fee. Do many of the restaurants take credit cards?

I was thinking about the equivalent of $100 would be enough? DH does not want to be left with too much extra KN.

Also, can these be purchased on the ship? I know the exchange rate is not good, but for such a small amount, I don't want to waste too much time in Split (we go there first) looking for an ATM.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Robin

How wonderful to find help just when you have a question.

We were in Dubrovnik 5 yrs ago and will be going back soon.

I remember a stand at the harbor advertising travel to & from Cavtat to Dubrovnik . Is that still available ?

The price back then was 10E, I expect that to have changed but hope the service is still available.

Sorry if this has been asked before but alot to read of your excellent advice.

Thank You, MaryA

Greetings DubrovnikTravelLady!

While I know you cannot recommend specific shops I'm hoping you can point us in the right direction.

We will be tendering in. We would like to first find an ATM and then find a shop where we can purchase picnic items (including a bottle of wine) to take with us on our visit to Lokrum. We will be visiting on a Sunday so I'm not sure whether or not that will be a problem as far as shops being open.

Can you perhaps recommend a route we could take where we will find what we're looking for? Thank you for any guidance you can offer!

Carol

How wonderful to find help just when you have a question.

We were in Dubrovnik 5 yrs ago and will be going back soon.

I remember a stand at the harbor advertising travel to & from Cavtat to Dubrovnik . Is that still available ?

The price back then was 10E, I expect that to have changed but hope the service is still available.

Sorry if this has been asked before but alot to read of your excellent advice.

Thank You, MaryA

The small ferry service from the old port to Cavtat are indeed still running. Last year the cost was 50 Kuna one way, 80 Kuna round trip. Do not know if those prices have changed, but it should not be running too much more, if so. Cavtat is a great choice for a short and easy trip from Dubrovnik. You can also take the ferry one way, pick up the #10 bus just at the entrance to the cable car and ride the ferry back to the old port. Bus ride is 1/2 hour and cost is 17 Kuna one way, per person.

Dubrovniktravelady, can you help please. Once we have purchased a ticket to walk the wall is it possible to re-enter? We are visiting in May and we are planning to walk part of the wall, walk to the cable car then return to complete the wall.

Many thanks for your help.

Dubrovniktravelady, can you help please. Once we have purchased a ticket to walk the wall is it possible to re-enter? We are visiting in May and we are planning to walk part of the wall, walk to the cable car then return to complete the wall.

Many thanks for your help.

Hope you are planning to enter at the main entrance, closest to the Pile gate. You should then exit at Ploce, walk to the cable car from that point. You should be able to use the same ticket, but have heard that you must return within one hour. I cannot answer if the new ticket people will accept the same ticket, but you do not need to spot as you pass him. Just wave the ticket at him and walk back up the steps, do remember to keep that ticket available since they are putting more controls on the wall this year.

Another question please - we plan to take the local bus to Pile gate, where will we catch the bus from to get us back to the Port, and do these buses run fairly frequently?

Many Thanks

You can catch the Libertas bus at the stop located in front of the main exit to the port. It will drop you at the Pile Brsalje, same as the shuttle buses and taxis. Pick up the same bus to take you back to the port, at the Pile Brsalje. Fare is 12 Kuna, if you pay the driver or you can buy at ticket at the nearest Tisak (newsstand) for 10 Kuna. Yes they run often, but in high season will be very crowded.

Greetings DubrovnikTravelLady!

While I know you cannot recommend specific shops I'm hoping you can point us in the right direction.

We will be tendering in. We would like to first find an ATM and then find a shop where we can purchase picnic items (including a bottle of wine) to take with us on our visit to Lokrum. We will be visiting on a Sunday so I'm not sure whether or not that will be a problem as far as shops being open.

Can you perhaps recommend a route we could take where we will find what we're looking for? Thank you for any guidance you can offer!

Carol

I'm sorry perhaps my question was too specific. Could you tell me if finding a shop to sell picnic items on a Sunday morning will be possible?

Also, I tried to find the schedule for the ferry to Lokrum. I found a summer schedule that states that they run every half hour. IF they are still running in October do they usually stick with the summer schedule or is it scaled back?

As always thank you for your help!

Carol

I'm sorry perhaps my question was too specific. Could you tell me if finding a shop to sell picnic items on a Sunday morning will be possible?

Also, I tried to find the schedule for the ferry to Lokrum. I found a summer schedule that states that they run every half hour. IF they are still running in October do they usually stick with the summer schedule or is it scaled back?

As always thank you for your help!

Carol

October weather can be iffy here, this past year it was very hot and humid. The Lokrum ferry will be only running on good days, no rain or wind.

Many shops are open here on Sunday morning, with the grocery store closing about 2pm. There are also a nice selection of small sandwich shops which will make you something. The Lokrum ferry schedule online is not usually very accurate, but it does run every half hour during high season. With an October arrival, it will all depend on our weather.

October weather can be iffy here, this past year it was very hot and humid. The Lokrum ferry will be only running on good days, no rain or wind.

Many shops are open here on Sunday morning, with the grocery store closing about 2pm. There are also a nice selection of small sandwich shops which will make you something. The Lokrum ferry schedule online is not usually very accurate, but it does run every half hour during high season. With an October arrival, it will all depend on our weather.

Thank you for your help. It is very much appreciated!

There is much to see inside of the old town, doubt you will have time to visit the outlying areas. Perhaps the 15 minute ferry ride to the island of Lokrum would interest you, it is our natural preserve and a wonderful place to stroll and have a swim off the rocks. We do not have many walk in type beaches, only one called Banje which is located just outside of the Ploce gate. I much prefer Lokrum, less crowded and please do remember don't waste money eating at the restaurant on Lokrum. You have much better choices in the old town for food and drink. Do not miss the cable car ride, it is a must! And please locate the Rupe Museum, so worth seeing our cultural site of life.

Your arrival date, thus far, only shows one other Costa ship arriving on the same date but much earlier in the day. That being said, you may want to check the port authority website closer to your arrival to verify more ships have been added. I downloaded all months this past February but continue to monitor arrivals/departures every month as they always seem to add something.

Interesting that you ask about clothing, the subject became an issue here since SOME ladies were in town with hardly nothing covering them except two band aids and a bit of dental floss with a shear wrap. Seemed they became indigent when refused entry into one of our monasteries. Pleased to say, there were not Americans but from the land of Oz. The country is predominately Catholic, wear clothing which is comfortable and respectful and remember cotton and linen breath during our hot and humid summers.

Do I miss California, simple answer is NO! I do miss my family but with skype we are able to talk every Sunday and I do try to get back there every couple of years. However, I do miss a clothes dryer, garbage disposal and peanut butter and oh yes, zip log freezer bags. However I now have a good supply of bags thanks to several cruisers with whom I have had lunch or coffee. Seems the blog writings have become of interest and I am finally shown on the first page of google search - took 2 years to even show up online. I knew Dubrovnik was home as early as 1971, but took me 37 years to make the jump across the pond.

Dubrovnik itself is a piece of art, do savor it slowly.

Thank you Dubrovniktravelady for your recommendations. We are looking forward to visiting your lovely city. lol w/the freezer bags. I use them for everything, including packing. Would be lost without them. Never fear band aids and dental floss don't have a home in my clothing lineup. We are always respectful of other countries customs.

Please let me know if you need any bags, and I can bring some extras along.

Ciao

Thank you Dubrovniktravelady for your recommendations. We are looking forward to visiting your lovely city. lol w/the freezer bags. I use them for everything, including packing. Would be lost without them. Never fear band aids and dental floss don't have a home in my clothing lineup. We are always respectful of other countries customs.

Please let me know if you need any bags, and I can bring some extras along.

Ciao

Thank you for your kind offer, but I have a good supply which friends brought me last month. Still badly miss my clothes dryer, but doubt you would be able to bring me one. Past week it has been rain, rain and yes more rain.

I was giving some thought to doing the panoramic tour when we first arrive, but then I was also thinking I'd like to do the Cabrio bus tour. I'm wondering if there is a lot of overlap of what you'd see? And if so, which do you think is better?

Thanks again for all of your help! Seems like most of the Med ports are rather rainy right now. Hoping things will turn in the next couple of weeks.

Brenda

I was giving some thought to doing the panoramic tour when we first arrive, but then I was also thinking I'd like to do the Cabrio bus tour. I'm wondering if there is a lot of overlap of what you'd see? And if so, which do you think is better?

Thanks again for all of your help! Seems like most of the Med ports are rather rainy right now. Hoping things will turn in the next couple of weeks.

Brenda

Cabrio bus normally begins to run on 01 May, but if weather turns good it may begin a bit earlier. I personally would do the Cabrio at 90 Kuna, it does run a much better route than a taxi and does include Lapad.

The rain has been a constant the last few weeks, so bad that my feet are now webbed.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

I will be stopping in Dubrovnik on Thurs. Aug 23rd. aboard the Carnival Breeze, I will be travelling with my daughter who is in a manual wheelchair and we would like to make our way to the Old Town can you tell me if there are accessible buses or taxis to Pile Gate, and also if the main street of old town is somewhat flat or are there a lot of stairs?

thank you

Lynda

I will be stopping in Dubrovnik on Thurs. Aug 23rd. aboard the Carnival Breeze, I will be travelling with my daughter who is in a manual wheelchair and we would like to make our way to the Old Town can you tell me if there are accessible buses or taxis to Pile Gate, and also if the main street of old town is somewhat flat or are there a lot of stairs?

thank you

Lynda

You are arriving here in August, our busiest month and only a few of our local buses have an easier access via the middle door. The wait for a bus which is not overflowing with tourists could be hours, so a taxi may be your best option. Can she with you assistance get from the chair into a car? Is she needs to have a lift or ramp, you will need to locate a local transfer agency and make arrangements prior to arrival.

The main promenade is fairly flat, on each side of the old town there are many steps. You will be able to get around inside the old town without much difficulty. If I can help, do let me know I can try to contact my friend who volunteers with our local MS society.

You are arriving here in August, our busiest month and only a few of our local buses have an easier access via the middle door. The wait for a bus which is not overflowing with tourists could be hours, so a taxi may be your best option. Can she with you assistance get from the chair into a car? Is she needs to have a lift or ramp, you will need to locate a local transfer agency and make arrangements prior to arrival.

The main promenade is fairly flat, on each side of the old town there are many steps. You will be able to get around inside the old town without much difficulty. If I can help, do let me know I can try to contact my friend who volunteers with our local MS society.

thank you, taxi sounds like they way we will go, her WC is very small (almost like a stroller) and can be folded and placed into a car trunk, I will lift her in/out of the vehicle, glad to hear the main promenade is fairly flat, looking forward to visiting Dubrovnik!

Lynda

Cabrio bus normally begins to run on 01 May, but if weather turns good it may begin a bit earlier. I personally would do the Cabrio at 90 Kuna, it does run a much better route than a taxi and does include Lapad.

The rain has been a constant the last few weeks, so bad that my feet are now webbed.

Thanks again, I appreciate the input. We don't arrive until Mid May so that works for the Cabrio bus. And hopefully by then you guys will have dried out a little bit! Brenda

thank you, taxi sounds like they way we will go, her WC is very small (almost like a stroller) and can be folded and placed into a car trunk, I will lift her in/out of the vehicle, glad to hear the main promenade is fairly flat, looking forward to visiting Dubrovnik!

Lynda

Make sure you stop at the Rectors Palace, they have a special device which can take WC guests up the steps. No charge for the service and it is there from our local MS society with a volunteer to assist.

You may want to ask the taxi to drop you at the Ploce (plo-cha) gate as it will be much less busy than the Pile Brsalje area with all the shuttle buses. Easy walk down the ramp into the old town from Ploce.