Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Interesting, but there is nothing under the bridge except the gardens. Are you sure you were at the Ploce gate?

Maybe the wrong gate, looking at the map, it was the Buza gate. The one close to the road that goes up to the cable car station on the eastern side of old town. A bridge goes over the parking lot and than under the overpass for the road that runs next to the old town.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Edited by gjr

Maybe the wrong gate, looking at the map, it was the Buza gate. The one close to the road that goes up to the cable car station on the eastern side of old town. A bridge goes over the parking lot and than under the overpass for the road that runs next to the old town.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Thank you for clarification and noting that the cable car may have opened a small kiosk near Buza gate. In my personal opinion, I would never walk the steps from the old part of town to reach Buza gate, far too many. Also have contacted the cable car company to verify if they have any other new ticket locations. Good news, thank you.

Thank you Dubrovniktravelady for this informative thread. I am trying to work my way through in it prep for my upcoming visit. We will be in port on a Sunday next month late August. Are there places closed on Sundays? Do Taxis and buses run as usual?

Thank you Dubrovniktravelady for this informative thread. I am trying to work my way through in it prep for my upcoming visit. We will be in port on a Sunday next month late August. Are there places closed on Sundays? Do Taxis and buses run as usual?

A few privately owned shops may be closed on Sunday. None of our historical sites, the city wall or cable car are closed. Taxis run normally, local bus is only slightly less.

Be prepared for hot and humid weather, it has been pleasant until this month.

Can you please tell me where you found an outside sales office for cable car tickets? I would like to verify that actual tickets are being sold at offices other than the actual entrance. Will you be more specific in where you made this purchase. Buyer beware if you buy from a street vendor, they may not be real tickets. Cable car website shows no other point of purchase.

There are at least two ticket resellers I saw along the climb east from the Stradun towards the city wall entrance nearest the cable car station (Buza gate?). Tickets were all legit and again, it saved a lot of time waiting in line at the station.

Edited by Terpnut

There are at least two ticket resellers I saw along the climb east from the Stradun towards the city wall entrance nearest the cable car station (Buza gate?). Tickets were all legit and again, it saved a lot of time waiting in line at the station.

Good information, it appears the cable car has opened a few kiosks for tickets. However the route shown on the cable car website to reach the entrance is a hard climb with far too many steps for many with any mobility problems. Many cruisers would not be able to take advantage of the kiosks if they are being dropped in front of the entrance by taxi or bus. Those who can make the climb to Buza gate are the only guests who would save a few minutes for a pre purchase. Much easier to exit the old part of town from Ploce gate and go up from there and far more scenic. However your information has been valuable, thank you.

I have another credit card question - we'd like to not have to get kunas for the day in Dubronik. Is it possible to pay for all of the following with a credit card?

taxi from port

Buza II cafe

cable car

synagogue museum

komarda cafe

You've already said that we can pay to walk the wall with a credit card

thanks for your help!

I have another credit card question - we'd like to not have to get kunas for the day in Dubronik. Is it possible to pay for all of the following with a credit card?

taxi from port

Buza II cafe

cable car

synagogue museum

komarda cafe

You've already said that we can pay to walk the wall with a credit card

thanks for your help!

Taxi - Cash

Buza - Cash

Cable Car - Credit card

Synagogue - Cash

Komarda - Credit card

So it looks like we'll have to get kunas. Where is the best place near the Guza port for this?

However, the taxi from the port will take Euros. I used kunas at the synaogue but I'm pretty sure that someone in our group paid in Euros.

Good information, it appears the cable car has opened a few kiosks for tickets. However the route shown on the cable car website to reach the entrance is a hard climb with far too many steps for many with any mobility problems. Many cruisers would not be able to take advantage of the kiosks if they are being dropped in front of the entrance by taxi or bus. Those who can make the climb to Buza gate are the only guests who would save a few minutes for a pre purchase. Much easier to exit the old part of town from Ploce gate and go up from there and far more scenic. However your information has been valuable, thank you.
Your point regarding the long steep climb up 100+ steps to the Buza gate is spot-on! In fact, the main reason I bought the tickets at that third-party ticket office near the top was so I could get into some air conditioning! I could then catch my breath and drink some water while the lady printed my tickets! LOL Edited by Terpnut

Thanks for your responses. I've searched the web without much luck to confirm if the synagogue takes Euros. Does anyone know for sure? Would the Buza II and most restaurants take Euros?

Croatian kuna is the legal currency of the country, everyone must accept it. There are some privately owned restaurants and some shops who will accept Euros, with a lower exchange rate. Many of our restaurants will accept credit card, however you need to ask prior. Our historical sites and museums are only permitted to accept Kuna. The fee for the synagogue is only 30 Kuna and last time I was there it was Croatian Kuna only. If you do not want to use Kuna, your choices will be limited. You can easily make a small withdrawal at any of our ATM machines located in town, 100 Kunas is only $20. You will have enough to visit the synagogue and buy a gelato.

So it looks like we'll have to get kunas. Where is the best place near the Guza port for this?

A taxi from the harbor to the old part of town will cost 10 Euros, yes drivers will take Euros. You can use any of the many ATM machines to obtain Croatian Kuna, as little as 100 to 2,000 Kuna. Average exchange rate is 5 Kuna to $1.00, that's an average not specific. If you have any Kuna left, stop for a gelato or buy a bottle water on your way back to the ship.

This is for Dubrovniklady:

We are looking to rent a car and travel outside of Dubrovnik as this will be our 2nd time visiting Dubrovnik . We are in port Sunday ,9/22 from 11:30-6:30 . Do you have somewhere you would recommend for us to see and go.

Thank you for any suggestions!

This is for Dubrovniklady:

We are looking to rent a car and travel outside of Dubrovnik as this will be our 2nd time visiting Dubrovnik . We are in port Sunday ,9/22 from 11:30-6:30 . Do you have somewhere you would recommend for us to see and go.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Or maybe you would recommend a local bus ride to a destination?

Thank you!

Earlier posts mentioned taking a taxi for a panoramic excursion, however the original posts are from 2011.

Does anyone know if the taxis available near the cruise ships still offer this and if they do, is there a particular company to use or avoid?

I'm a little uneasy about walking off the ship and getting in an unknown taxi and hoping for the best.

I sprained my knee recently and can't do a lot of walking and certainly not many steps!

Any suggestions are welcome.

We've been to Dubrovnik once before but took an excursion through the countryside-which was lovely.

Thanks in advance

We were in Dubrovnik in June this year and took a taxi from the rank at the bus station which is adjacent to the dock. We went to the old town but the driver offered us a panoramic tour if we wished and his and all the taxis at that rank had the price clearly marked on their vehicles. (50 euros I think), On previous occasions we took a taxi from outside the ship itself but don't know if they offered the panoramic tour. We have always found the taxi drivers to be friendly and helpful. Hope that helps.