Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Hi,

I have just discovered this thread and have been happily reading through it. Thanks so much to Dubrovniktravelady for all your time and inputs, it is one of the best threads on the site.

Dubrovniktravelady: Hope you are enjoying your travels back to California. We will be visiting Dubrovnik on the 16th May from 10.30 - 18.30 and are eagerly anticipating this day.

I plan to print of this thread along with a map of the city and to visit the tourist bureau.

I am travelling with my parents (72 & 74), and what I am wondering is will walking the wall be too much for them ? They are active and do not have mobility issues. Would the weather be too warm, should we start by walking the wall when we arrive, or leave it to later in the day when it may be cooler ? Is there an option if you don't want to complete the walls to descend at an earlier point ?

Looking forward to you reply, thanks in advance. S

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I have just discovered this thread and have been happily reading through it. Thanks so much to Dubrovniktravelady for all your time and inputs, it is one of the best threads on the site.

Dubrovniktravelady: Hope you are enjoying your travels back to California. We will be visiting Dubrovnik on the 16th May from 10.30 - 18.30 and are eagerly anticipating this day.

I plan to print of this thread along with a map of the city and to visit the tourist bureau.

I am travelling with my parents (72 & 74), and what I am wondering is will walking the wall be too much for them ? They are active and do not have mobility issues. Would the weather be too warm, should we start by walking the wall when we arrive, or leave it to later in the day when it may be cooler ? Is there an option if you don't want to complete the walls to descend at an earlier point ?

Looking forward to you reply, thanks in advance. S

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your question, but we just returned to Dubrovnik after 4 months in California. Getting our phone, TV & internet turned back on has taken 3 weeks since often services here don't move quickly.

FYI for all of you arriving soon, please check the weather as it has been cold and very wet. Been told Dubrovnik has only seen 3 days of sunshine in the past 2 months and it's still raining.

Walking the walls can be difficult for some. The walls are 2 kilometers long and a grand total of 650 steps. Your parents might be able to do half and then go down at one of the other entrances. The sea side is the best if you begin at the main entrance which we call Spas. Everyone on cruise critic refers to this entrance as the Pile. Also do note the fee for the walls has increased this year to 70 Kuna per adult, be prepared.

Wish I could predict the weather for your arrival in May, I do hope it's warm and sunny. I doubt it will be hot and humid at that time, but one never knows.

Enjoy your limited time in our lovely town.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your question, but we just returned to Dubrovnik after 4 months in California. Getting our phone, TV & internet turned back on has taken 3 weeks since often services here don't move quickly.

FYI for all of you arriving soon, please check the weather as it has been cold and very wet. Been told Dubrovnik has only seen 3 days of sunshine in the past 2 months and it's still raining.

Walking the walls can be difficult for some. The walls are 2 kilometers long and a grand total of 650 steps. Your parents might be able to do half and then go down at one of the other entrances. The sea side is the best if you begin at the main entrance which we call Spas. Everyone on cruise critic refers to this entrance as the Pile. Also do note the fee for the walls has increased this year to 70 Kuna per adult, be prepared.

Wish I could predict the weather for your arrival in May, I do hope it's warm and sunny. I doubt it will be hot and humid at that time, but one never knows.

Welcome back to the boards and hope you are settling back into life in Dubrovnik. Thanks for your tip, we will take your advice and do the seaside starting at Pile. If my folks are up to it we will continue on and if not they will have seen some amazing views and we can relax for a while in a cafe. Making final payment of the cruise next Wednesday so getting excited now.

Tks again, take care S

I will be traveling to Dubrovnik on May 18 with my elderly mother. She walks fine and can do some stairs, but a total of 650 for the walk around the City Wall sounds like too much. Can someone recommend a way to do part of the wall that would maximize views while minimizing the stairs? Please specify exactly where to enter and leave.

Also, does anyone know if the Cabrio Bus Tour will be running in May and how I can find out the schedule? I was on the website, but couldn't find the schedule for that bus.

Thank you,

Alisa

I will be traveling to Dubrovnik on May 18 with my elderly mother. She walks fine and can do some stairs, but a total of 650 for the walk around the City Wall sounds like too much. Can someone recommend a way to do part of the wall that would maximize views while minimizing the stairs? Please specify exactly where to enter and leave.

Thank you,

Alisa

Here is a link to a map of Dubrovnik. We walked only part of the way. There was a little stand that sold cold drinks up on the wall. It was a lovely place to rest and view the beautiful water. There are still lots of steps. Even if you don't go up on the wall, the city is charming.

http://www.korculainfo.com/dubrovnik/old-town/map/

Edited by Grannycb

Here is a link to a map of Dubrovnik. We walked only part of the way. There was a little stand that sold cold drinks up on the wall. It was a lovely place to rest and view the beautiful water. There are still lots of steps. Even if you don't go up on the wall, the city is charming.

http://www.korculainfo.com/dubrovnik/old-town/map/

Thanks for the info and link. Do you remember if you went in the Pile gate and around on the sea side?

Alisa

Thanks for the info and link. Do you remember if you went in the Pile gate and around on the sea side?

Alisa

The main entrance to the city walls is located just inside the old town nearest to the Pile gate. You can begin your walk at that point to the sea side and go to the half way point and exit down at the Maritime Museum. Be prepared for the 65 steps to reach the top of the wall at Pile and do remember it is the busiest entrance. The sea side walk should take about 1 hour if you stop for photos and walk easily. There are still many steps but it is the least difficult part and should not be missed.

Do enjoy your limited time in my home.

The main entrance to the city walls is located just inside the old town nearest to the Pile gate. You can begin your walk at that point to the sea side and go to the half way point and exit down at the Maritime Museum. Be prepared for the 65 steps to reach the top of the wall at Pile and do remember it is the busiest entrance. The sea side walk should take about 1 hour if you stop for photos and walk easily. There are still many steps but it is the least difficult part and should not be missed.

Do enjoy your limited time in my home.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the detailed info. and I'm really excited about seeing your beautiful city.

Also, do you know if the Cabrio Bus Tour will be running in May and how I can find out the schedule? I was on the website, but couldn't find the schedule for that bus.

Thanks again,

Alisa

Hi there. Can you pay the 70 Kuna fee in Euros or only Kuna? Thanks.

To walk walls not too strenulously- Start at Ploce entrance rather than Pile and exit at Aquarium? Are steps at that entrance not as steep?

You should not begin at Ploce and exit at the Maritime since that would be going in the opposite direction of the traffic flow. By walking that very short amount the only view you will see is that of the old port. The walk around the entire wall is not that difficult and going along the sea side is the most impressive. That means going up at the main entrance located just inside the Pile gate and if you take your time it is not difficult at all. I often walk the walls at least twice a week just for the fun of it. Enjoy your limited time in my lovely town.

Dear Dubrovniktravelady,

Do you know if any of the islands or local beaches have facilities to change into our bathing suits?

Thanks in advance

Banje beach is the only site near the old town but I've never noticed any type of changing facility. Most locals wear their suit and change with a towel around their waste after a swim. The island of Lokrum has no beach, one just goes off the rocks into the sea and again does the towel routine. Can't answer for the Lapad side as I am a old town girl and don't venture down to that side of our town often during the season.

What area of town will you be staying and what time of the year? Hey, just go for it and use the towel. When in Rome.....

Banje beach is the only site near the old town but I've never noticed any type of changing facility. Most locals wear their suit and change with a towel around their waste after a swim. The island of Lokrum has no beach, one just goes off the rocks into the sea and again does the towel routine. Can't answer for the Lapad side as I am a old town girl and don't venture down to that side of our town often during the season.

What area of town will you be staying and what time of the year? Hey, just go for it and use the towel. When in Rome.....

I will just be in town for a day via cruise. Using a towel for me is easy enough, but I don't think the wife would go for it! :) Thanks.

I will just be in town for a day via cruise. Using a towel for me is easy enough, but I don't think the wife would go for it! :) Thanks.

Her best option would be to wear the suit back to the ship. However if you're going to be in town for only one afternoon, perhaps you may want to enjoy some of the old historical sights. The city walls will take about 2 hours if you stop for photos. You then have the Rupe Museum, Rectors Palace and a drink at Buza. The Adriatic is lovely and the weather in July will be hot and a swim is one option. If you want to cool down, then the short 15 minute ferry ride to the island of Lokrum is a great way to spend some time, it's always lovely there. Do you know that mostly the beach here is not sandy, it's small stones. Do enjoy your limited time here in our town.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Hi Dubrovniktourladi. Wondering if you can advise on a good spot for lunch and/or a glass of wine in Old Town that has views of the harbour. :confused: We intend to do the self tour indicated on the Dubrovnik Tourist website ourselves. It looks pretty self-explanatory. Will probably want to stop and relax a couple of times and enjoy a glass of wine or local beer. :D Any and all recommendations much appreciated. We will be visiting Dubrovnik mid-June this year. Thanks.

You will not be disappointed in the wine at all. It's highly under-rated outside the country and I would LOVE to see more of it exported to the US.

One reason we booked the itinerary we did is to go back to Croatia and send several bottles home.

Still looking for a recommended restaurant with a view along the Dubrovnik wall.:confused:

Since I live in Dubrovnik, i cannot recommend any restaurants. Although I will tell you that locals believe that most of restaurants with a view do not generally have good food. Most of them are very expensive and not worth the money. Good luck, just keep searching for other recommendations. Many of the small side streets have small konaba's which do have good food, and there are many.

Her best option would be to wear the suit back to the ship. However if you're going to be in town for only one afternoon, perhaps you may want to enjoy some of the old historical sights. The city walls will take about 2 hours if you stop for photos. You then have the Rupe Museum, Rectors Palace and a drink at Buza. The Adriatic is lovely and the weather in July will be hot and a swim is one option. If you want to cool down, then the short 15 minute ferry ride to the island of Lokrum is a great way to spend some time, it's always lovely there. Do you know that mostly the beach here is not sandy, it's small stones. Do enjoy your limited time here in our town.

Thanks! I know the beach is not sandy but I am looking for an option if my DW and DD are suffering from sightseeing overload.

Edited by SmokinActuary

Thanks! I know the beach is not sandy but I am looking for an option if my DW and DD are suffering from sightseeing overload.

You should visit the island of Lokrum, it's a lovely preserve and just a very nice play to cool down and perhaps take a swim off the rocks. Stop at one of the many sidewalk cafes to people watch. They will not be overloaded in our small town, there are many small shops for them to shop and buy goodies to take home. Shopping is always good for the ladies...

You should visit the island of Lokrum, it's a lovely preserve and just a very nice play to cool down and perhaps take a swim off the rocks. Stop at one of the many sidewalk cafes to people watch. They will not be overloaded in our small town, there are many small shops for them to shop and buy goodies to take home. Shopping is always good for the ladies...

This is the small town in Lokrum? Believe it or not my 12 year old is the shopper. :)

Since I live in Dubrovnik, i cannot recommend any restaurants. Although I will tell you that locals believe that most of restaurants with a view do not generally have good food. Most of them are very expensive and not worth the money. Good luck, just keep searching for other recommendations. Many of the small side streets have small konaba's which do have good food, and there are many.

Thanks for the advice. We do know that the "touristy" areas tend to be overpriced and underquality. How about for just a glass of wine? Any place with a view for that?

This is the small town in Lokrum? Believe it or not my 12 year old is the shopper. :)

No town, it's a natural preserve and it's where locals go to swim daily and a nice place to cool down. Shopping in the old town will be fun for your daughter, there are small shops all over, the best prices will be off the main drag which we call the "Stradun." Your daughter will have a great time.