Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Thanks for the advice. We do know that the "touristy" areas tend to be overpriced and underquality. How about for just a glass of wine? Any place with a view for that?

You can have a glass of wine at any of the small outdoor coffee/cafe places. Some of the best views are on the Stradun or at the Pile Brsalje (Square). Just keep looking until you notice a spot with a view. Choose a nice wine, our Peljesac red wine is wonderful. Just remember that price does not indicate good taste. Keep researching and someone may mention bars with a good view. Enjoy your limited time in Dubrovnik.

You can have a glass of wine at any of the small outdoor coffee/cafe places. Some of the best views are on the Stradun or at the Pile Brsalje (Square). Just keep looking until you notice a spot with a view. Choose a nice wine, our Peljesac red wine is wonderful. Just remember that price does not indicate good taste. Keep researching and someone may mention bars with a good view. Enjoy your limited time in Dubrovnik.

Thank you. I truly appreciate the time you take to advise those of us who will be visiting your country for the first time.:D

We're definitely planning to walk the Walls and spend some time in Old Town in May. But after that, I'm wondering what would be the best option for photography - taking the Cabrio Bus or the ferry to Lokrum Island?

I have another question about walking the walls --- is the traffic flow clockwise or counterclockwise??????? Does anyone try to walk in the opposite direction??

The walls should be walked counter clockwise. There are always some who don't follow directions and they do cause problems as the path on top is small and it can get busy. It's always best to walk with the traffic, especially on when you hit the steps. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

We're definitely planning to walk the Walls and spend some time in Old Town in May. But after that, I'm wondering what would be the best option for photography - taking the Cabrio Bus or the ferry to Lokrum Island?

It depends on what you would like to see. Lokrum is a natural preserve and we go over to the island to swim off the rocks. The city wall should take you about 2 hours, if you stop to take photos. The Cabrio bus is also 2 hours long and they only make 2 photo stops, but it does give you a great overview of the entire town. The old town is filled with sights, our churches, museums and the small streets off the main drag, which we call the "Stradun." I would say that you should decide based on the total amount of time you have in the old town, if it's to be Lokrum or the Cabrio bus.

It depends on what you would like to see. Lokrum is a natural preserve and we go over to the island to swim off the rocks. The city wall should take you about 2 hours, if you stop to take photos. The Cabrio bus is also 2 hours long and they only make 2 photo stops, but it does give you a great overview of the entire town. The old town is filled with sights, our churches, museums and the small streets off the main drag, which we call the "Stradun." I would say that you should decide based on the total amount of time you have in the old town, if it's to be Lokrum or the Cabrio bus.

Thanks again TravelLady. How can I find out the schedule and departure point for the Cabrio bus?

Dubrovniktravelady-

Do you know where the Gem docks? Or should I expect to be tendering? How far from the ship to old town? If we arrive with no local currency will there be ATM's near the ship so we can pay for a taxi if needed to get to old town? Are taxi's easily available?

Thanks in advance.

Dubrovniktravelady-

Do you know where the Gem docks? Or should I expect to be tendering? How far from the ship to old town? If we arrive with no local currency will there be ATM's near the ship so we can pay for a taxi if needed to get to old town? Are taxi's easily available?

Thanks in advance.

The Gem is shown as arriving twice in the month of July, both times it will be tendered in the old port. You will be able to walk into the old town in about 3 minutes, no need for a taxi. On the main drag, which we call the Stradun, you will find several ATM machines to obtain Croatian Kuna. Enjoy your limited time in my town.

How much would it be for a sandwich (or similar item) and a drink (possibly a coffee) in local currency?

What suggestions do you have for a light snack (not a full lunch) that a tourist should consider eating? (rough idea of prices would be helpful)

thank you for so much help to all of us!

How much would it be for a sandwich (or similar item) and a drink (possibly a coffee) in local currency?

What suggestions do you have for a light snack (not a full lunch) that a tourist should consider eating? (rough idea of prices would be helpful)

thank you for so much help to all of us!

Very difficult question for me to answer. Our main meal is always at noon and I don't eat out that often, when I do I never have a sandwich. I will always order the fresh fish and that is usually priced by the kilo. Coffee will cost you between 8 to 10 kuna, depending on the cafe. Off the main drag, it's always cheaper. Pizza is popular here and that usually runs about 50 to 90 Kuna. As of today the exchance rate is about 5 kuna for $1.00. Seems a shame to miss out on our seafood, it is very good. Grilled Adriatic baby squid is a favorite for many and that can run about 90 to 100 kuna. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

DT, I see from the port schedule that you directed us to that Ocean Village will be at Berth14 on 12th June. I have the tourist map and was wondering if you could point out a land mark near berth 14 so that I can get my bearings.

I would like to thank you for all the time and effort you have put in to provide all the tips and advice that is going to make our visit to your lovely city so memorable.

Many thanks.

DT, I see from the port schedule that you directed us to that Ocean Village will be at Berth14 on 12th June. I have the tourist map and was wondering if you could point out a land mark near berth 14 so that I can get my bearings.

I would like to thank you for all the time and effort you have put in to provide all the tips and advice that is going to make our visit to your lovely city so memorable.

Many thanks.

Most cruise ships dock in the port which we call "Gruz." It is a 15 minute taxi or shuttle bus ride into town, depending on traffic. The walk is possible, but it is uphill and will take time away from your time in the old town. Copy the link below and you will have a very detailed map, it's 2 pages.

By the way, who knows what "Dobrodosli" means?

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

By the way, who knows what "Dobrodosli" means?

....it means Welcome......and we look forward to being welcomed for our third visit to Dubrovnik on May 29th on our Crown Princess cruise. We love your city and this is one of my favorite photos....I took it in 1989 on our Dawn Princess cruise.

2504221320096454513S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by JLC@SD

I have read all these posts with great interest and must also thank dubrovnictravelady for all her advice and patience with the many questions asked of her!

dtl, I have inspected the tourist site AND the port, have found the berth where my ship will be (Ocean Village on 17th April), and have downloaded the map.

Thank you once again for all your help. It has proved invaluable!

Janet

....it means Welcome......and we look forward to being welcomed for our third visit to Dubrovnik on May 29th on our Crown Princess cruise. We love your city and this is one of my favorite photos....I took it in 1989 on our Dawn Princess cruise.

2504221320096454513S600x600Q85.jpg

Lovely photo, you were on Mt. Srd (sur-ge) when you took this shot. The cable car, which was destroyed during the Homeland war, is now being repared. Unfortunately it will not yet be running until July at the earliest, your trip will be too early to utilize this new (old) service. The view from the top of the mountain is my favorite, it is where I lost my soul to this town way back in 1971. Do enjoy your time in Dubrovnik again.

I have read all these posts with great interest and must also thank dubrovnictravelady for all her advice and patience with the many questions asked of her!

dtl, I have inspected the tourist site AND the port, have found the berth where my ship will be (Ocean Village on 17th April), and have downloaded the map.

Thank you once again for all your help. It has proved invaluable!

Janet

You are welcome, it bothers me to see information which is not accurate. I know many which to share their own personal experience however one cannot begin to have found the essence of this town in a just one short afternoon.

Since I am a local resident I am not able to give any specific recommendations, those are the rules of cruise critic.

One of these days I will start work on my blog again, where I will post the best of Dubrovnik. Right now I am too busy getting settled in my new home after 4 months in the US.

Lovely photo, you were on Mt. Srd (sur-ge) when you took this shot. The cable car, which was destroyed during the Homeland war, is now being repared. Unfortunately it will not yet be running until July at the earliest, your trip will be too early to utilize this new (old) service. The view from the top of the mountain is my favorite, it is where I lost my soul to this town way back in 1971. Do enjoy your time in Dubrovnik again.

I was delighted to hear the cable car is being repaired, it was certainly a great view from the mountain. The boat leaving the harbor in my photo is a tender going to a second ship that was anchored just out of the photo, a Royal Viking ship. They must have had a fantastic view of the surrounding area and city from the ship. We were docked at the harbor to the north. We walked the wall our second trip in 1990 (on the Golden Odyssey) and I think we will do it again this May.

We visited Split last July on the Royal Princess and enjoyed it .....but Dubrovnik is special and is one of our favorite ports.

Edited by JLC@SD

We will be in Dubrovnik in August from 7 AM to 6 PM. We know we want to walk the wall and have lunch somewhere in town, and the water looks so beautiful that I would love to jump into it! I've read about ferrying to Lokrum, which sounds wonderful, but I've also read about Banje Beach but can't find it on any of the maps I've downloaded. What do you suggest - Banje or Lokrum?

Edited by Podie

We will be in Dubrovnik in August from 7 AM to 6 PM. We know we want to walk the wall and have lunch somewhere in town, and the water looks so beautiful that I would love to jump into it! I've read about ferrying to Lokrum, which sounds wonderful, but I've also read about Banje Beach but can't find it on any of the maps I've downloaded. What do you suggest - Banje or Lokrum?

Banje beach is very easy to find, it's is just about a kilometer straight up the road from the Ploce entrance to the old town. However in August you may not be able to find a spot. The beach is divided in half, one side is free the other is not. It is the only walkin beach near to the old town.

Lokrum is a 15 minute ferry ride and you need to be able to go off the rocks into the sea. There is no walkin beach on Lokrum, they do however have ladders spaced around the island.

I would say choose the one which gives you enough time to get back to your ship. August is our busiest month, it will be crowded.

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any idea what the water temperature would be off Lokrum? A crowded beach does not appeal to me so that would probably rule out Banje. Are there also walking paths on Lokrum? And one last question, where does the ferry leave from? Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any idea what the water temperature would be off Lokrum? A crowded beach does not appeal to me so that would probably rule out Banje. Are there also walking paths on Lokrum? And one last question, where does the ferry leave from? Thanks!

Lokrum is a lovely natural preserve, they have walking paths and benches throughout so you can rest under the many trees. There is a small restaurant but the prices are high, so bring your own water. The ferry leaves from the old port located just outside the walls, very easy to locate. Just make sure you know the schedule of your return and allow enough time to return to the port of Gruz. Oh yes, the water temperature is about 25 to 27C during August, just remember the heat and humidity will be very hot in town.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

We enjoyed going to Lokrum very much last May and even though the water was still very cold we still went swimming. The water is crytal clear and it is a novelity to go off the rocks. The ferry runs every half hour and there are some very nice hiking trails.

P1010917.jpg

This is the area right near where the ferry drops you off. There are several other "beaches" around the island.

Have just realised that we will be in Dubrovnik on May 1st, which is a Public Holiday.

Does anyone know if the wall will be open for visitors ? , will public bus services be running ? etc.

If not we'll have to re-plan our day !!