Ok-Now I'm really mad

jhdoublin

I just read on Carnival board that the Valor didn't stop in Roatan now:mad: Geez! First no Cozumel and now no Honduras! That was the whole reason for picking this cruise!!!!!!!

We leave on the 17th-Sunday. This is getting ridiculous.

I just read on Carnival board that the Valor didn't stop in Roatan now:mad: Geez! First no Cozumel and now no Honduras! That was the whole reason for picking this cruise!!!!!!!

I thought the civil unrest was in 2008. I see no current warnings listed anywhere.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa

Avenida La Paz

Tegucigalpa, Honduras

To: All American Citizens

Date: May 6, 2009

Subject: Warden Message – Disturbances in Roatan

The U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa alerts American citizens residing in and

traveling to the Bay Island of Roatan about ongoing protests. The Embassy has been informed by the Honduran police (DNIC, Dirección Nacional de Investigacin Criminal) that the protestors are blocking the road to French Harbor and urges all Americans to avoid driving on this road today. The demonstrators are alleging that foreigners are illegally working in Honduras and taking jobs away from Hondurans.

The Embassy strongly recommends that U.S. citizens not try to pass roadblocks, as there have been incidents of violence in the past. U.S. citizens should avoid travel in affected areas and should monitor the situation via media sources, including TV and radio, and avoid large gatherings.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department’s Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov where

the current Travel Warnings and Public Announcements, including the Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, can be found.

Up-to-date information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll-line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

Americans living or traveling in Honduras are encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department’s travel registration website, https://travelregistration.state.gov, and to obtain updated information on travel and security within Honduras. Americans without Internet access may register directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Embassy or

Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.

The U.S. Embassy is located on Avenida La Paz in Tegucigalpa; telephone (504)238 5114, after hours telephone (504) 236 8497; Consular Section fax (504) 238-4357; E-mail: usahonduras@... Web page:

http://honduras.usembassy.gov

• Administrators

I'm so sorry for your disappointment. As others have posted, there are very valid reasons for this decision. How would you feel about a cruiseline which dropped off American citizens in a country currently experiencing violent demonstrations against Americans, and something bad happened to a cruise passenger? :eek:

I would also expand on what another poster advised -- if you are choosing a cruise for a particular port (or ports) -- well, basically... don't. Cruiselines reserve the right to change ports (it's in your contract and you agree to that term) and it's by no means unusual that a cruiseline does need to change ports -- mechanical difficulties, weather, civil unrest, pandemics, etc.

If you have your heart set on visiting a particular place, a cruise is rarely the best choice -- a land-based vacation is the way to go.

Have you read your trip insurance policy to see if maybe it offers you "cancel for any reason" coverage? Most of them don't cover a change in itinerary, but a few higher end policies let you just change your mind -- you might see if that might help here.

I was really just venting. I have cruised for the last 7 years and know that is all part of the game. Could go out and run in circles and I'd be happy:D

I do understand. ;) I can tell you that I would be more than a little upset if my Mexican riviera turned into a Pacific Northwest cruise. Luckily, I already booked Canada so now it will just be a little more busy...lol. ;)

Feel free to vent. As long as you know that the cruise line really has little to do with this. And hopefully they will still go to Roatan and the civil unrest dies.

OP: I can totally understand your frustration! It stinks missing ports--even if there is good reason--especially when you booked the cruise for the ports! Hopefully the unrest will settle down soon and the swine flu thing will too.

Yea I hope we get to go. You always take a risk stopping in any port- that's why you should not to forget to pack your common sense in your suitcase!:p At times I've been tempted to toss is out when it put me over the 50 pound limit.

I really liked Canada- definitely different than the Caribbean- but really neat. If you stop in Nova Scotia- we paid I think around $20-40 for the "city tour" - joke! Don't waste your money- we could have walked it for free. Bar Harbor, Maine was beautiful! Martha's vinyard was really neat also. When and where are you going?

I have only paid for a tour through the cruiseline 1 time and that was Nova Scotia- never again. We get a better deal and have less crowding booking our own- of course the risk is there.

Luckily, I already booked Canada so now it will just be a little more busy...lol. ;)

And we'll all be keeping our fingers crossed that there will be no "civil disruptions" in Canada to keep you from any ports :D (those darn Canadians can be SO feisty!)

When and where are you going?

We leave in 3 weeks and it just stops in Saint John New Brunswick. We have a Bay of Fundy Tour booked privately. So I'll have details on it all when I get back. :D

And we'll all be keeping our fingers crossed that there will be no "civil disruptions" in Canada to keep you from any ports :D (those darn Canadians can be SO feisty!)

I know eh! ;):p

• Administrators
We leave in 3 weeks and it just stops in Saint John New Brunswick. We have a Bay of Fundy Tour booked privately. So I'll have details on it all when I get back. :D

I know eh! ;):p

I'm doing that same cruise two weeks after you, Michele -- actually I'm doing the five day and then the four day back to back, mostly to enjoy some ship time. :) What private tour are you doing? I've been dithering a bit over what to do in Saint John -- so far I'm planning on some kind of Bay of Fundy tour on the first visit, and just roaming around taking photos (and maybe eating seafood!) on the second one.

I'm doing that same cruise two weeks after you, Michele -- actually I'm doing the five day and then the four day back to back, mostly to enjoy some ship time. :) What private tour are you doing? I've been dithering a bit over what to do in Saint John -- so far I'm planning on some kind of Bay of Fundy tour on the first visit, and just roaming around taking photos (and maybe eating seafood!) on the second one.

We reserved it through Shore Trips. When I went pricing it out, Carnival wanted $78 for the tour. Shore Trips.com wanted $63 for the same tour. And when we reserved it, they sent it to Freedom Tours (I think that's the name of the tour company). And that's the one always mentioned on the CC Port of Call Board.

So I'll let you know how the tours goes when I get back.

• Administrators
We reserved it through Shore Trips. When I went pricing it out, Carnival wanted $78 for the tour. Shore Trips.com wanted $63 for the same tour. And when we reserved it, they sent it to Freedom Tours (I think that's the name of the tour company). And that's the one always mentioned on the CC Port of Call Board.

So I'll let you know how the tours goes when I get back.

Thanks -- hope you have a great trip! :)

Archived