Mendenhall Glacier Juneau question?

floatinrocks

Has anyone done the Mendenhall Glacier on your own without an excursion? If so , how much does it cost, is there an entrance fee? We are thinking of renting a vehicle, doing the Glacier Rainforest and the Mendenhall Glacier.

Any idea how much time we should allow?

I used to live in Juneau...

As a most of the day affair you can park your car at the Mendenhall campground and take the trailhead that follows Lake Mendenhall along the North to the base of the glacier...

Map Here

From there one can hike directly to the glacier following the water's edge and then up over the berm...Or one can take the trail further and then traverse down one of the creeks to the glaciers edge...

The creeks form ice tunnels once they meet the glacier...One must be cautious around these openings during peak summer at a time when the retreating glacier has more of a tendency to calve(or shed) large chunks of melting ice...But one still can venture at their own risk and view the spectacular shades of blue inside these caves...

The amount of drive time from downtown Juneau to the trailhead is about 30-35 minutes...The hike to the glacier is about 1.5-2.0 hrs...With an allowed time of 1-2 hrs at and around the glacier and the return back...One would expect to spend around 6.0-7.0 hrs to complete the trek...I would suggest that only those in good physical shape with proper hiking shoes attempt this hike...

Well worth it in my honest opinion...

The above is in reference to the West Glacier trail with glacier access.

If you are referring to the Visitor Center side, there is a few dollar admission, if you want to go in the visitor center, otherwise no, fee for the grounds and hiking. The Glacier Gardens is about an hour. Some people can do 45 min. at the glacier, enough time for a walk to Photo Point trail and close up look and photos.

we are taking helicopter ride through Coastal, but the wont go to Mendenhall glacier. Our ride is booked at 8.00am. After that we have whole day . But I wont have car to drive to Mendenhall. Are theer shuttles or buses etc. How long will that take? dont plan to do lot of hiking/trecking.

There are shuttles that can take you to the glacier, but I can't figure out what the hours are for them. We would like to go too but can't until early evening... The shuttles are at the docks, cost about $7/person and are blue school buses. They go out and back on a regular basis - but how late I don't know!

There are shuttles that can take you to the glacier, but I can't figure out what the hours are for them. We would like to go too but can't until early evening... The shuttles are at the docks, cost about $7/person and are blue school buses. They go out and back on a regular basis - but how late I don't know!

I have in my notes that the last return bus is at 6:30 PM... not sure now where i got that info, probably from somebody on this board. I would only use that as a reference at this point, but be sure to inquire about the actual schedule when you take the shuttle to be absolutely sure.

I would see if you can arrange a direct pick up/drop off at Mendenhall with a tour operator, IF not, then take a cab between Coastal and Mendenhall. The other direction, take the shuttle buses (NOT city bus) to the dock area, last year $7pp/ The timeframe varies, in season, last bus leaving is around 6:30pm. You can verify this directly with MGT, who is one shuttle bus operator.

It makes much better use of time, to go direct from the airport, or Auke Bay (whale watching) to/from Mendenhall Glacier, via tour operator or cab, take a look at a map. Going back and forth downtown, wastes an hour in transit time, or more.

It makes much better use of time, to go direct from the airport, or Auke Bay (whale watching) to/from Mendenhall Glacier, via tour operator or cab, take a look at a map. Going back and forth downtown, wastes an hour in transit time, or more.

Can a cab be easily obtained at Auke Bay or a prior reservation required? How far is the ride from Auke Bay to Mendenhall Glacier, and how much?

Thank you!

Can a cab be easily obtained at Auke Bay or a prior reservation required? How far is the ride from Auke Bay to Mendenhall Glacier, and how much?

Thank you!

You will need to call a cab, have the number with you. Listings http://www.traveljuneau.com

It's about a 10 min ride to Mendenhall, inquire what the ball park rate would be- $10-15???

I have the problem that I am on a whale-watching tour until 6.30pm

I am sure the company will be good enough to drop me at the Glacier on the way back but how will I be able to arrange return to the cruise ship?

Will I be able to call a cab from the Visitor Centre [what time does that close?]

I have the problem that I am on a whale-watching tour until 6.30pm

I am sure the company will be good enough to drop me at the Glacier on the way back but how will I be able to arrange return to the cruise ship?

Will I be able to call a cab from the Visitor Centre [what time does that close?]

Have your cell phone with you and the number. Verify that the whale watch operator will drop you off. They may have a timeframe.

Archived