DREAMing of the balconies :-)

Trying to plan our next cruise, looking at a balcony on the Dream...lol from an OV on the Elation to a balcony on the Dream - nice change, eh? :-)

Only thing is, many of the 8G balconies and what not are on the VERY BACK end of the ship... just wondering from those who have sailed on other vessels and have had cabin locations in the very back of the boat, is there noise/vibrations from the propellers or whatever?

Thanks!

I haven't stayed on the very back of a ship yet but one thing I always consider is what is above/below me. You might want to check out cruisedeckplans dot com and use the drag a deck feature for the Dream to see what is above you if you're considering a balcony at the back of the ship/8G :) We are cruising on the Dream and chose the Verandah deck so we have cabins above/below us. Happy cruising~

You mean the very back as in Aft Balconies? If that's the case, then I haven't been Aft on Carnival but LOVE Aft on RCCL ships. I actually considered grabbing an Aft balcony on Triumph in a few weeks...but I stayed with the 8C.

The AFT balconies are often extended. They have more room for more furniture. :) Some have loungers and tables and not just small chairs.

The only "noise" I noticed was a slight vibration at night when we were really moving.

yes I mean aft balcony as in you can't go any more back or you'll be in the ship's wake :-) As in standing on your balcony looking out, you look at where the ship has been. :-)

I'm seeing these available and want to make sure it'll be like any other balcony on other ships (or better!) before I go ahead and pull the trigger on it.

actually, for the aft balconies you pick up some extra balcony square footage.

a typical balcony (ie, 8a) is about 35 sq ft. a standard aft balcony (not wraparound, ie 9a) is about 60 sq ft - almost twice as large (though some of this usable space is negated by the sloped rail / glass panel).

a few things to be mindful of, however... the dividers between balconies are sloped, so if you're standing at the rail, you can chat with your neighbor (for better or worse). also, as the aft is sloped as mentioned, the balcony is often not entirely covered above, which means people from above can look down on you (to some degree) - typically just for the 1-2 feet or so where you're standing at the rail. because of this, sitting on the balcony could be hot at times. also, some report that being in the middle of the aft, air flow isn't like on the sides, as the aft kind of creates its own vacuum sort of affect (wind doesn't typically blow sideways on a boat moving forward).

I haven't decided which balcony I'm going to have on the Dream yet either, but am strongly considering an aft. I have stayed in the aft part of the ship many times, and haven't had any problems. But, I definitely would consider what is above and below me.

yes I mean aft balcony

as in you can't go any more back or you'll be in the ship's wake

As in standing on your balcony looking out, you look at where the ship has been.

As in...

WAKE-737.jpg

We are going on the Dream next April. We have had AFT balconies in the past and what little noise or vibration we had was well worth the view we had. Both of our upcomming Princess cruises we have AFT balconies. However, we decided to go with a suite on the Dream but with the layout of the ship, we had to be mid-ship. Either way, you should enjoy.

We had an aft balcony this past June on the Conquest and LOVED it, it was so relaxing to see the wake of the ship and it was a much larger balcony. On the Dream, I think the cove balconies look interesting, I think if we ever go on that one I am sure that is what we will do.

After a bit more research, there are wrap balconies (9a) available still, for about 200 PP more than the (8G) aft balconies...

Is 200 bucks extra PP a good rate? Strictly from the viewpoint of extra price...?

After a bit more research, there are wrap balconies (9a) available still, for about 200 PP more than the (8G) aft balconies...

Is 200 bucks extra PP a good rate? Strictly from the viewpoint of extra price...?

Amerikaner83,

Aft wraps are the best on any Carnival ship. The rooms are larger than regular balcony cabins, but the deck is the real attraction.

Archived