Daylight in the Baltics

I have scoured around but I really haven't seen this mentioned for a while.

We are on the NCL Jewel in august, doing most of the Baltic Capitals.

When does it get 'dark' in most of the cities, or does it truly get dark?? We were watching a show on the travel channel and I thought they were talking about sunshine at 10:00 PM, in some of the ports, is this true?? About how many hours of daylight are there???

Well, according to a website I found, the sunset in Helsinki on August 1st will be at 9:52pm. Stockholm at 9:14pm. St. Petersburg at 8:20pm. Sunsets decrease a minute or two each day as August progresses. I suspect there's a timezone difference between St. Pete and Helsinki, which makes it seem a lot different, when it's really not.

That same day in Helsinki, the sun rises at 5:00am making it a 16 hour 52 minute long day.

And if I recall, there was still quite a bit of light in the sky even after the sun had officially set.

Well, according to a website I found, the sunset in Helsinki on August 1st will be at 9:52pm. Stockholm at 9:14pm. St. Petersburg at 8:20pm. Sunsets decrease a minute or two each day as August progresses. I suspect there's a timezone difference between St. Pete and Helsinki, which makes it seem a lot different, when it's really not.

That same day in Helsinki, the sun rises at 5:00am making it a 16 hour 52 minute long day.

And if I recall, there was still quite a bit of light in the sky even after the sun had officially set.

So to guesstimate for mid-september - subtract 45 or so minutes from these times? We'll be in St. Pete on 9/17, so I'm thinking sunset will be at 7:30? That seems early! Our lives didn't work out to go earlier in summer, it'd be neat to see around the summer solstice.

I usually use a website called gaisma.com to get an idea of daylight times (sunrise, sunset, dawn, dusk, etc). They have charts that show the daylight for various cities throughout the year.

In June and early July, it's not uncommon to have sunsets around 22:00 with dusk lasting an hour or more after that. For mid-August, most of the Baltic capitals have sunrise around 5:30 and sunset around 21:00 with 30-60 minutes of dawn/dusk at either end. This varies by city and also quite a lot by day of the month, since sunrise and sunset generally shift by about an hour/month in this part of the world.

Archived