Sabatini's or Crown Grill

nschille04

My fiance and I will be honeymooning on the Emerald and are hoping to not spend a lot of money on the ship. So, if you have any cost saving tips...please pass them on. Also, we have decided that we'd like to do either Sabatini's or Crown Grill (not both). I know its largely a matter of taste, but I was hoping to get a recommendation on what would be the better choice. We both like Italian food and seafood. We'd like the one that is more of a fun, unique experience. Any comments you have would be great.

I was on the Emerald a couple weeks ago. While I didn't get to try Sabatini's, I thoroughly loved my dinner experience in the Crown Grill. I had lobster and it cost $35 + tip; but it certainly was worth it. If you go there, for dessert, get their wild berry & apple tort with ice cream.

It was oh! so good!!

Everyone will have a different opinion on this one. I, for one, really LOVE the Crown Grill. You select each item from appetizer to dessert, and the steaks, IMHO, are pretty close to Ruth Chris quality. We have eaten at the Crown Grill many times and the quality and service does vary somewhat, even from night to night, but in general we have LOVED it. They have a dessert sampler plate - how much better can it get?? Plus blue cheese onion soup.:D

Sabatini's is also VERY good - you might prefer the thrill of 18 courses, although they are preset and the only item you choose is your entre. Even though I try to pace myself, by the time the entre comes, I am in overload. But Sabatini's is less expensive.

You can't do wrong either way!! Enjoy your cruise!!

My fiance and I will be honeymooning on the Emerald and are hoping to not spend a lot of money on the ship. So, if you have any cost saving tips...please pass them on. Also, we have decided that we'd like to do either Sabatini's or Crown Grill (not both). I know its largely a matter of taste, but I was hoping to get a recommendation on what would be the better choice. We both like Italian food and seafood. We'd like the one that is more of a fun, unique experience. Any comments you have would be great.

Last year on the Crown we did both venues. I liked Sabatinis better than the Crown Grill. I was not crazy with the porterhouse I ordered at the Crown. I ate it, but I have had better. Our next cruise does not as yet have the Chef's Table so we will definately do Sabatini's again. My wife liked the the Crown Grill but still liked Sabatini's more.

As far as cost savings, research your own excursions. Private tours can save alot over the ships tours.

Ate at the Crown Grill on the Emerald in March and had a wonderful meal! We both had the fillet mignon, which melted in your mouth and the small lobster comes with it, in fact they brought a whole plate full! You don't have to order the large extra charge tail. The dessert sampler was great and the service was A1 all the way:)

Hi there! We have experienced both on the Crown Princess and I must tell you..well... Sabatinis is wonderful! The service and the food are outstanding! The staff will guide you through a ten course meal that you will never forget! I recommend a reservation for 2 in front of the fountain. In the evening, during dinner, the fountain displays a beautiful colored water show ...it is very romantic. Of course, your viewing this through clear class from the best location in the restaurant.

We were seated in the area near the harp in the Grill dining room. Not nearly as much ambience. Its great if you want to get a steak! The scallops were also very good.

I also strongly recommend the Lotus Spa Pool. There are only about 12-16 teak lounge chairs, however, if you arrive early, you can enjoy a very peaceful and relaxing day by the pool (alone).

Sanctuary is above and they are paying for their tranquility in the sun.

Have a great time!

Having read that you like Italian and seafood and are looking for a unique experience, I would have to recommend Sabatinis.

As others have said Crown Grill is very much the typical upscal steakhouse, without the upscale price. However, you can get a very similar experience on land.

I do not know of anything that is similar to the Sabatinis experience.

Congratulations on the wedding and enjoy your cruise.

Hi

Your question really interested us ,as ,before our last cruise (Transatlantic Ruby...am sooo missing it!) we had only visited Sabatini's the previous year on the Emerald which we loved!

The first thing (ok..one of the first things!) I did onboard, due to our experience was to book Sabatini's again.

It was great....romantic...(get a window seat by the fountain)We were not disappointed!

However...(and here knowing our CC friends I may be "flamed" - great expression , being English , never used it before, but now find it so useful!)

I had never considered the Crown Grill before...don't know why (had an image of an up to date "Bernie Grill" friends of "Only Fools and Horses " may know what I mean !)

However, booked at my DH (another great expression I've learnt!) 's wish.... found we loved it!

Very romantic ,great service and more choice of menu in that you can choose what you want (for courses other than the main)

Only thing I'd say is that if you are vegetarian, you can go to both , but the choices are limited....this from the person that doesn't usually eat red meat until I tasted it on the Ruby..!!

Even though Crown Grill is great, Sabatini's is such a wonderful experience and also has a nice romantic setting. If I had to chose to do one again I would probably chose Sabatini's. It would be a perfect addition to your honeymoon cruise.

Congrats!

The Crown Grill is the best.

We did do Sabatinis on the Emerald last year leaving St Thomas with a sunset to die for, and I have to say the new location with all the windows facing aft is spectacular.

Sabatinis is a must do at least once but does not appeal to us anymore.

What are the cover charges for each of these places, how far in advance do you need to make reservations, and while we are on this topic, what are the "nominal charges" for places like the Ice Cream Bar, Vines, the International Cafe, and any other non-standard eating places on the Golden?

What are the cover charges for each of these places, how far in advance do you need to make reservations, and while we are on this topic, what are the "nominal charges" for places like the Ice Cream Bar, Vines, the International Cafe, and any other non-standard eating places on the Golden?

First, we've been to Sabitinis before and loved it, but recently did Crown Grill and absolutely fell in love with it--so much so that we went back (we were going to go to Sabitini's, but had such a great experience at Crown Grill that we wanted to go again). Sabitinis does tend to be more romantic--the window tables at Crown Grill (at least on the Ruby) look out on the promenade deck (see people walking by). Crown Grill was $25 pp and Sabitinis was $20 pp.

As for other prices that I can recall...Ice Cream Bar (prices seemed to range from $1.50 to $4), International Cafe Gellato was $1.50 for 3 scoops (good and good value, but I did not like the flavor choices--didn't change at all so I only did it once). Many of the items at International Cafe are free (donuts, pastries, cakes, salads, quiches, small sandwiches).

On the Crown Princess this last March we tried both Sabatini's and the Crown Grill. We loved them both, and will book both the next time on Princess.

But if I had to choose just one for a unique and romantic experience, I also would choose Sabatini's. It was just, well, unique compared to the Crown. We also had the table overlooking the fountain, and I felt special dining there.

It is also marginally cheaper than the Crown Grill. (Since you mentioned you don't want to spend too much).

Sue

We did Sabatini's on our honeymoon on the Emerald and loved it. Be prepared; it is a LOT of food. I know others have posted pictures of the menu elsewhere on the board so you can see just how much food you're receiving.

We just walked in to Sabatini's with no reservation and they were able to seat us, but if you really want to go on a particular night, you might want to make a reservation. The service was impeccable and the food delicious.

Crown Grill is $25 which includes a smaller lobster tail. There is a $9 upcharge for live Maine lobster or a Brazilian/Australian tail. :)

It is not that much extra for two people to do both restaurants and I would advise going to each. That's two great meals for two people for only $90 extra. In terms of going on a honeymoon, that is such a small amount. Of course, I am not a fan of the food in the main dining rooms and will go even more than twice on my next cruise to the upcharge restaurants.

Oh, for what it's worth, my wife told me that Sabatini's is a much more romantic setting as opposed to the steakhouse atmosphere (nice but different) in the Crown Grill. My wife had the Chilean Sea Bass at Sabatini's and loved it. I had the veal chop. As for the Crown Grill, we brought the kids there. I had a porterhouse. Wife had the rack of lamb. Great meals at both places.

I was on the Emerald a couple weeks ago. While I didn't get to try Sabatini's, I thoroughly loved my dinner experience in the Crown Grill. I had lobster and it cost $35 + tip; but it certainly was worth it. If you go there, for dessert, get their wild berry & apple tort with ice cream.

It was oh! so good!!

You WERE on the Emerald a few weeks ago? Everyone was wondering where you were. Hmmm

actually never mind found the answer to my question in previous post. if anyone is interested below is the link to the menu:

http://cms.princess.com/learn/onboard/dining/menus/specialty_restaurant/Sabatinis%20Dinner%20Menu.pdf

Okay, I think I'm confused here.

Is it true at Sabatini's you are brought one of everything on this menu except the entrees, one of which you choose?

I must have it wrong :eek:

Stoopid Question!

But Where Do You "Sign Up" For The Restaurants Once On Board?

First Cruise In June. 9nts Out Of NY, Eastern Caribbean On The CP. Can't Wait!

Long Time Reader, First Time Poster.

This Has To Be One Of The Best Websites Around.

2 Thumbs Up!

Archived