Thoughts about Ocho Rios??

cmlmich

I have heard bad things about Jamica. For those that have been there, what do you think of Ocho Rios??

We had a great time In OR recently.....no problems whatsoever except that it was very crowded that day...several ships in port.

Dunn's River Falls was beautiful as was the beach @ Bamboo Beach Club.

I was there with my two teen daughters and we had no issues with the vendors or the locals....Go there!!

We were there in January 2009. Took a private tour to Shaw Gardens. After tour , we walked from ship a couple blocks back to shopping area. We had no problems and were greeted by several locals wishing us a GOOD Day..:cool:

Ocho Rios is my favorite place on earth...so much so I moved there for a while in my early 20's. The best place, the best people, the best music...the best everything.:rolleyes:

Wish I were there right now!!!

Don't believe what you hear from nervous people...it is just as safe as anywhere as long as you use common sense.

Go there, you'll love it.:)

We stopped in OR last June and we were disappointed. We got tired of being followed and harrassed for money by people on the street and taxi drivers. We've been to Jamaica before and it's beautiful but after our trip to OR on the cruise, we have no interest in going back.

We were just there last week and it's beautiful. Just book a tour with a good reputation and enjoy your day in Paradise:) My only complaint was driving by vendors that had those wooden statues of the "well indowed" men with their "junk" sticking out like 3 feet! What's with that? LOL! I mean who wulod buy that and how would you get it home if you did????:p

We were just there last week and it's beautiful. Just book a tour with a good reputation and enjoy your day in Paradise:) My only complaint was driving by vendors that had those wooden statues of the "well indowed" men with their "junk" sticking out like 3 feet! What's with that? LOL! I mean who wulod buy that and how would you get it home if you did????:p

Meg - JUNK??!! Those are interpretive carvings of the many Irish male visitors to the island, oftentimes considered to be virile and god-like.

Like many of the other posters, we hired a private tour (Marva Shaw), and had a fantastic time- best port of our cruise.

But it really depends on you. I really didn't care much for Grand Cayman (although the stingrays were cool). It's a lovely, clean, safe island, but it doesn't "feel" any different than Miami to me. (I'm probably being unfair, since I was only there for a few hours, but that's the impression I had).

Jamaica, on the other hand, felt much more "real". It's not an island that exists solely for tourists. There are real people living real lives. It's not all pretty, since there is serious poverty, but I felt like I'd really traveled somewhere.

We were not harassed in any way, and it really was a perfect day all around.

The question is what do you like in a cruise port? Ocho Rios has a lot to offer, but it's more "foreign" that many Caribbean locations.

We have been to OR twice. Once land based and another cruise stop. We loved it both times and want to go back. As mentioned, do a bit of homework and research and book a tour with a reputable person/company and you too will have a great experience. Irie mon. We loved it.

DH and I loved Ocho Rios. We booked a private company and asked them to keep us away from any 'problems' which he did. We booked Dunn Falls, Fern Gully, horseback riding and lunch. Our guide was extremely polite and funny! If you want his name, let me know.

I have heard bad things about Jamica. For those that have been there, what do you think of Ocho Rios??

I grew up around there and now return primarily as a tourist. For me Ocho Rios has great beauty but two bad elements: sometimes aggressive locals and rude tourists (sorry to say but the chair hogs go there as well:eek:) . To avoid most of this consider a private tour. With little effort or agitation you have enjoy the beauty of the island without the hassle the port is known for. On the best day, you will see poverty. This has left some heartbroken others in total disgust.

My favorite spots:

Dunn's River Falls or Coyaba River Garden and Museum

Nine Miles (if you are into Reggae)

Fern Gully (rain forest)

Margarittaville

Reggae Beach - less crowded

Brown's Town (depicts a realistic view of a Jamaican community) This would be on the ride to 9 Miles, Bob Marley birthplace.

Resorts

Sunset Jamaica Grande

Couples San Souci (20 minutes away by cab)

Reality check: Bud is a Herb that grows like Weed in Jamaica. If the mere thought, smell or presence of this offends you then consider this the perfect day to stay onboard. You may also go and the only thing offered is jerk chicken, hair braiding and beef patties:D

See my Ocho Rios album

Happy Cruising.

I grew up around there and now return primarily as a tourist. For me Ocho Rios has great beauty but two bad elements: sometimes aggressive locals and rude tourists (sorry to say but the chair hogs go there as well:eek:) . To avoid most of this consider a private tour. With little effort or agitation you have enjoy the beauty of the island without the hassle the port is known for. On the best day, you will see poverty. This has left some heartbroken others in total disgust.

My favorite spots:

Dunn's River Falls or Coyaba River Garden and Museum

Nine Miles (if you are into Reggae)

Fern Gully (rain forest)

Margarittaville

Reggae Beach - less crowded

Brown's Town (depicts a realistic view of a Jamaican community) This would be on the ride to 9 Miles, Bob Marley birthplace.

Resorts

Sunset Jamaica Grande

Couples San Souci (20 minutes away by cab)

Reality check: Bud is a Herb that grows like Weed in Jamaica. If the mere thought, smell or presence of this offends you then consider this the perfect day to stay onboard. You may also go and the only thing offered is jerk chicken, hair braiding and beef patties:D

See my Ocho Rios album

Happy Cruising.

My husband and I went to Ocho Rios once and weren't impressed, didn't see a need to go back; however, our cruise in Jan stops there. With that said...

We went to see Dunns Falls, will not actually climb it so there is no point in going again.

We have gone to Fern Gully

Not a couple that enjoys sitting on the sand at the beach

9 Mile never sounded interesting to us

Any suggestions for us?

My husband and I went to Ocho Rios once and weren't impressed, didn't see a need to go back; however, our cruise in Jan stops there. With that said...

We went to see Dunns Falls, will not actually climb it so there is no point in going again.

Any suggestions for us?

I have the same reservations. I don't really want to hike up the falls, which seems to be the 'don't miss' attraction. There are some 'interesting' shore excursions through the ship, but I am not going to spend $400-500 for my family of 5 to do something 'just ok' in Jamaica.

I have been to an all-inclusive in Jamaica already and it was nice but my kids need some type of activity besides shopping or laying on the beach.

Any suggestions for us?

Maybe Mystic Mountain, or Coyaba River Garden and Museum. Sometimes after being to a port once, the second time is about enjoying the ship. There are some ports I want to see again and again, other once was enough. On the other side of the island, everyone raves about Negril. However for me once was enough, been there done that kinda feeling;)

It was OK. Last time I went, we did a tour and the Falls, neither of which were a big deal. I found everything I needed right inside the gated area near the ship...Margaritaville was touristy, but fun, decent shopping and it was clean and well kept, no hassles.

I was scared to DEATH to go to Jamaica from all the things said on these and other boards! That said....we LOVED it! We did Dunn's River and tubing on the White River with Phil Lafayette! We were never uncomfortable or had to deal with any of the things I heard about on this board. We weren't offered drugs one time!!!

We hired a personal tour guide named Kingsley. He was wondeful and his proces were very reasonable. We told him our interests and our limitations and he made our tour customized for us. He picked us up at the port. Took us to Dunns River Falls before anyone else got there. We were almost alone in the park. We were not able to climb, so he took us to a great spot midway where we were able to walk in to the water and enjoy the falls. Great for photos as well ( which he took with our camera). We went to the gardens, drove through the "rain forrest", saw Keith Richards house and a view of Marleys resting place. We toured, we shopped and we ate. Great day over all!! I highly reccomend Kingsley.

We hired a personal tour guide named Kingsley. He was wondeful and his proces were very reasonable. We told him our interests and our limitations and he made our tour customized for us. He picked us up at the port. Took us to Dunns River Falls before anyone else got there. We were almost alone in the park. We were not able to climb, so he took us to a great spot midway where we were able to walk in to the water and enjoy the falls. Great for photos as well ( which he took with our camera). We went to the gardens, drove through the "rain forrest", saw Keith Richards house and a view of Marleys resting place. We toured, we shopped and we ate. Great day over all!! I highly reccomend Kingsley.

How did you get a hold of him, that tour sounds great..something we would love to do..

thanks

I just visited the official Jamaica board of tourism website and there are quite a few interesting things to do in Ocho Rios. I don't see how anyone can spend part of a day doing Dunn's River and claim there is nothing else to do in that part of Jamaica. If I can make the arrangements we will probably do the plantation tour that covers a good bit of Jamaica's history from the slave trade to today. There is also a botanical garden, Noel Cowards home and a number of other sites to see.

How did you get a hold of him, that tour sounds great..something we would love to do..

thanks

Not sure what we are allowed to post on here; however, if you e-mail me, I will give you Kingsley's contact info.

Archived