Flying out of anchorage question

skf

We are cruising Vancouver to Beijing on Diamond Princess. My brother is tagging along as far as Anchorage, where the ship docks at 12:30am Sat Sept 19.

I've been looking for flights home for him, ANC>>MHT. I have found a combo that might work via AS flt 92 @ 2:30pm >arr SEA 6:50pm, dep NW #208 10:25pm > arr DTW 5:31am, dep NW #3482 9:00am > arr MHT 10:45am Sun Sept 20.

Flyer Talker, this is my chance to try your suggestion to use DTW, but on a test subject.;)

If anyone has a better idea I'll be glad to listen.

Thanx, Steve

I've been looking for flights home for him, ANC>>MHT. I have found a combo that might work via AS flt 92 @ 2:30pm >arr SEA 6:50pm, dep NW #208 10:25pm > arr DTW 5:31am, dep NW #3482 9:00am > arr MHT 10:45am Sun Sept 20.

Flyer Talker, this is my chance to try your suggestion to use DTW, but on a test subject.;)

A couple of thoughts. (I use the term "you" even though someone else is taking the flight....easier word choices) Your flight choices allow for plenty of time at the connection points. In fact, in Seattle, it makes for a great dinner break. I would suggest leaving the airport and heading over to either the 13 Coins or the Roaster for a nice dinner. Because the airport at SEA is right on a city street (yes, it's not out in the boonies or surrounded by runways, you can walk there in under 10 minutes. I can post the links to the restaurants later. The 3:30 connect allows for that, or you can have a nice dinner inside the airport. I would recommend Anthony's, a local seafood restaurant that has a full-scale operation in the central area of the terminal. Excellent seafood and fresh oysters as well. If you have time, you can also browse the air collection at the airport, including some nice blown glass pieces.

The red-eye to DTW is long enough that you can get some sleep. The DTW connect is a bit longish, but I'd suggest heading to the center of the concourse to the "Water Feature", where there are comfy chairs to spend your time. Not sure what concessions I would use while there at that hour. Your flight out to MHT is on a CRJ, so you'll go through the tunnel (moving walkway) and experience some flashbacks to the 60's with the lights and music. Most CRJ flights leave from the C concourse - again, that's easy with the time you have.

Personally, I like having those buffer times in there. Time to recharge and relax outside an aircraft.

We are cruising Vancouver to Beijing on Diamond Princess. My brother is tagging along as far as Anchorage, where the ship docks at 12:30am Sat Sept 19.

Note that though your ship "docks" at 12.30am you can't disembark until 6-7am.

Also note you really don't arrive into Anchorage, but Whittier, so you need to find a way to get between the two (about a 1 hour drive plus tunnel crossing). Too bad you are getting to Anchorage so late - Denali's shuttle buses stop running by then. Even then road lottery dates end on Sep 21.

The nice people on the Alaska board said that we should not plan to fly before 1:00ish, which is how I latched onto this. Some other flights have a really extended layover time & I did not want this.

Thank you, Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Sir FlyerTalker...I saw this in ITA & thought it might work, especially because there is no plane change in SEA.

Any input for me & Peter? Thanx, Steve

Continental Airlines Flight CO 234 on a Boeing 757 (jet) in coach class

(snack, movie)

Departs Anchorage, AK (ANC) Sat, Sept 19 5:00p 3 hrs 25 min

Arrives Seattle, WA (SEA) 9:25p

Layover in Seattle 55 min

****LAYOVER OF 55min BUT NO PLANE CHANGE****

Continental Airlines Flight CO 234 on a Boeing 757 (jet) in coach class

(movie)

Departs Seattle, WA (SEA) Sat, Sept 19 10:20p 4 hrs 51 min

Arrives Newark, NJ (EWR) Sun, Sept 20 6:11a

Layover in Newark 1 hr 59 min

****IS A 2hr LAYOVER OK? THERE IS A TERMINAL CHANGE.****

Continental Airlines Flight CO 2490 on an Embraer ERJ-135/145 (jet) in coach class

(operated by EXPRESSJET AIRLINES INC DBA CO EXPRESS)

Departs Newark, NJ (EWR) Sun, Sept 20 8:10a 1 hr 25 min

Arrives Manchester, NH (MHT) 9:35a

Whether or not there is a plane change in SEA, that should work out. CO only operates from 3-4 gates, so it would be a no-hassle with 50 minutes. There's always the chance that the stop in SEA involves a plane change, but unlikely with only a 50 minute turn (since a 757 takes a while to unload). The two hours at EWR should also be plenty, as you can connect airside without going out through security.

As for the "Sir"....Globaliser is far more likely to be knighted by Her Majesty than myself. But thanks for the promotion.

My dear Mother always stressed the value of politeness.

Thank you ever so much.

When I saw the same flight # for two legs I felt I had something. There seem to be dozens of combos to get him here but most involve the same flights in the middle to end legs.

Archived