If you have a balcony cabin..

shellster1

Has anyone picked "starboard" over "portide" or vice-versa? If so, why? Just wondering if it's a personal preference or something I don't know about. Thanks!:)

Some people have a preference based more on the itinerary rather than port or starboard.

Then there are those who must have an "aft" cabin such as ourselfs.

Some people have a preference based more on the itinerary rather than port or starboard.

Then there are those who must have an "aft" cabin such as ourselfs.

Really? That is so funny. We upgraded last minute and there were only aft cabins available. I was thinking people prefer forward or mid over these. I don't know why I thought this...I think I read on another post that it gets a little too windy on the aft, but that particular post was about a specific ship.

It doesn't matter to me either. We like to be on the side that is against the dock but there's a 50% chance of that happening. We just look to be as midship as possible. Depending on the direction the ship is going some consider sun(rise) in the morning or sun(set) in the afternoon on their balcony. Obviously that would change on the return.

Has anyone picked "starboard" over "portide" or vice-versa? If so, why? Just wondering if it's a personal preference or something I don't know about. Thanks!:)

We chose the Starboard side on our first cruise leaving NY so we could see the Statue of Liberty. I knew we would not be up to see her on our return trip:)

Really? That is so funny. We upgraded last minute and there were only aft cabins available. I was thinking people prefer forward or mid over these. I don't know why I thought this...I think I read on another post that it gets a little too windy on the aft, but that particular post was about a specific ship.

I think addictedtwo means a cabin that is actually on the stern overlooking the wake rather than a cabin towards the rear of the vessell.

I have a stern cabing for my Alaska trip on the Pearl and I am looking forward to seeing jst why these cabins are so desirable. If I couldn't have got a stern cabin I would have gone for one close to the middle for ease of getting everywhere.

Jean

Last year on the Norwegian Dream trying to pick the right side of the ship back fired on me. We ended up staring at buildings in Hamilton when we thought we'd be docked facing St. George's Harbor. :cool:

I would say it all depends on where the ship is going and how long it's staying there. On the NCL itineraries to BDA it's more important since the ship acts as your floating hotel once you get there. Otherwise, it never really phased me which side of the ship I was on so long as I could see daylight!! :)

The stern is the least windy area on the ship, at least when you're underway, because the stern cabins are completely protected from the wind. Now those in the bow, they're windy. But we love both areas. If we can't get either bow or stern abins, then hopefully we will choose correctly for the itinerary. We've chosen starboard for our 2010 cruise to Alaska.

Aft for us - once you've sailed aft you get very spoiled - views on both sides- you don't miss anything. And if you're lucky enough to be aft corner - you've got a 270 degree view. We had that for Alaska and it was amazing.

She means at the stern. These cabins seem to be very popular. All cabins are designated as either Forward, Midship and Aft depending on the elevator shaft that serves them best. An "Aft" balcony may well be on one side or the other, not at the very back of the ship, facing the wake. So pick your cabin based on the NCL deck plan, by number.

Some itineraries are predictabel regarding the dock side and all are predictable in relation to the sun and the nearby landmasses. Pick the side of the ship the same way that you pick which line to get in to at a toll booth....you are bound to pick the wrong one some of the time!!

We don't have a preference. However, people can smoke on the Promenade Deck Portside. If you have a balcony above that, you might smell the cigarette smoke up there. Cabins near the Aft elevators are convenient for the aft main dining room, as well as for the buffet restaurant.

The side you pick, if you pick a side at all matters little since you don't know which way the ship will approach any given area or in what position it will dock.

The STERN cabins are the most sought after on the ship by those in the know.

As mentioned previously they are also the least windy and give you a view to both sides and everything as you are leaving port, many people love to watch and listen to the wake as well and it is generally quieter peoplewise back there.

You do feel more movement either foward or aft on a ship and midships is the preferred area for those who want least movement.

Also I have found on SOME ships that you get much more vibration in Stern Cabins but that seems very particular to the individual ship.

If you are not basing a decision on either of these things then pick a cabin that is conveniently located to what you want to do most.

We don't have a preference. However, people can smoke on the Promenade Deck Portside. If you have a balcony above that, you might smell the cigarettes up there. Cabins near the Aft elevators are good for the aft main dining room, as well as for the buffet restaurant.

for our cruise to the western caribe, it didn't matter...the ship's docking position could change for any port. had 3 days of sun rises and 3 days of sunsets.

for alaska, cruising glacier bay was the only thing that would have matter. for glacier bay, best views (and 1st views of the glaciers, before the ship movement causes waves) are foreward or port.

haven't tried aft yet, but we don't spend enough time in the cabin for it to matter.

I'm not sure if your talking aft aft! The aft I'm talking about is the very back of ship over the wake.

I know that when your looking at cabins on NCL and they refer to them as forward mid and aft. Their aft doesn't necessarily mean the aft over the wake of ship.

Usually the aft I'm referring to always sell out fast as there aren't that many.

For TransAtlantics and other extended cruises with an East/West orientation, I'd suggest that you go P.O.S.H. - "Port Outbound (from Europe) Starboard Home", so that your balcony is on the sunny side of the ship.

P.

I'm not sure if your talking aft aft! The aft I'm talking about is the very back of ship over the wake.

I know that when your looking at cabins on NCL and they refer to them as forward mid and aft. Their aft doesn't necessarily mean the aft over the wake of ship.

Usually the aft I'm referring to always sell out fast as there aren't that many.

What you are describing, Addictedtwo, is actually called the stern (balconies facing the rear of the ship.) Aft is described as anything behind the last set of elevators. I know, many people call those the aft cabins in back, and I understand what they mean, but new posters may not. :)

DT

I have a stern cabing for my Alaska trip on the Pearl and I am looking forward to seeing jst why these cabins are so desirable. If I couldn't have got a stern cabin I would have gone for one close to the middle for ease of getting everywhere.

Jean

Exactly my thinking as well (for our Nov Pearl Cruise). We're in 11154 and I'm looking forward to it :D

I think I get it now. The very back of the ship is the most desirable since you have a view of both sides, right? Aft only means torward the back of the ship. So next time I'll have to remember that!:)

I think I get it now. The very back of the ship is the most desirable since you have a view of both sides, right? Aft only means torward the back of the ship. So next time I'll have to remember that!:)

You got it!!! We love the stern for the peace and quiet and the great views from the balcony. The problem is not enough of theses to go around ---you have to book early or be lucky enough to get one if someone upgrades/upsells.

I was correctly corrected calling my stern cabin an aft cabin. If you have interest in one, go deck by deck on the NCL ship plan to see what is available. Last week, I "downgraded" two categories going from a forward BC with the larger balcony, to a stern BE with the larger balcony. I went from Deck 9 to Deck 8. For me, that is not a downgrade because I love sailing in a stern cabin.

Shellster, hope you end up in a cabin you love and have a wonderful trip! :)

I would like to add to the landlubbers confusion so I will put my oar in the water. The stern of the ship is correct for the rear of the ship but the area aft where the ship curvature is Usually a weather(outside) deck is called the "fantail"

SSD

Archived