San Francisco BART to Pier 35

luv1another4ever

Has anyone done the bart to down town SF (we are coming into OAK)?

I realize that we have to catch the AIRBART BUS to the BART station and take the train to the embarcadero (spelling?) station and then - HERE IS THE QUESTION - can we walk to Pier 35 or do we need to taxi over?

Has anybody done this before? I know that I am being frugal, but it is quite a bit less to train into SF than to shuttle.

Thanks for any help.

Shelly

Although we are from the east coast, we have sailed into SF a few times, and we have a daughter that lives in the City and have visited many times.

San Francisco in my opinion has one of the best, fun, mass transit systems in the country, So What you ask, is doable but...

You already know about air-bart, Bus to Bart.

You will Exit BART at Embarcadero. The bart will be undergound at this point, and 2 levels down. So you will need to go up to street level. The Embarcadero is the name of a street that runs along the docks. The Bart station is approximately at pier 1. Pier 35 is all the way a cross town. Not walkable. You could take the MUNI "F line" Vintage trolleys right to the pier if you are traveling light enough. I probably would take a cab.

for MUNI information I think the website is sfmuni.org

Think about this - BART from OAK to Embarcadero is probably about $4.50/each. The F Line to Pier 35 is $1.00/each. Total cost...probably about $11 - $12 and a WHOLE lot of hassle lugging suitcases around. I'm sure a cab from Pier 1 to Pier 35 will run you around $10 - $15 plus tip. Total cost for BART and a cab...about $26 - $27.

Give Supershuttle a call (supershuttle.com) - I wouldn't image that it would be any more than $30 - $35 and would save a BUNCH of aggrevation, especially on the way to a cruise.

"I do not shout. I speak in a tone of voice that ensures I will not be misunderstood, misquoted, or ignored".

When you get off at the Embarcadero Bart station the Hyatt Regency hotel will be within easy eyesight. Walk over to the side door, where the overhang is and you will see a line of taxis there. The minimum charge is $3.50. I'm guessing around $7 to the pier unless an extra luggage charge.

Do not attempt this during rush hour commute. The Bart trains are not meant for extensive luggage & you will have a difficult time finding space if you have large bags. I stayed in San Francisco earlier this week & took Bart both ways. I was challenged with just a computer shoulder bag & small rollaboard.

Norway 11/85

SS Independence 7/91

Star Princess 10/02

4/17 Celebrity CENTURY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;17;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I did check out super shuttle, it would be about $75 to get the 4 of us to SF from OAK. Depending on the actual taxi cost, the train should get us to the pier for under $30 for all of us. We get in on a saturday morning, so I can't imagine that the train would be to full - right?

Shelly

BART on Saturday AM should be easy with luggage. I suggest you check www.bart.gov which not only lists the stations but will tell you the schedule and cost to go from the Oakland airport to the Embarkadero (sp). From the Embarkadero I would definately take a taxi which you should be able to get at the Hyatt at Embarkadero. Hope this helps.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2003;4;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Be prepared....depending on what time you are going to arrive in the City when you get to Pier 1 the traffic to Pier 35 can be brutal. If it is aroung noontime on a Saturday the Embarcadero is only 2 lanes and may be bumper to bumper all the way due to week end tourists. It may take 30 minutes which can be a killer cab fare....so when you get up to street level if traffic is bad think about the f line street cars.

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska

Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico

Next: Sapphire Princess 10/2/04

Mercury Cruise Pic's 3/13/04

http://community.webshots.com/user/catmand100

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the tips! You guys are AWESOME! I can handle this method of research! It is greatly appreciated.

I hadn't thought about the trolley line (F line, I will remember, actually, I wrote it down!).

Hey Catmand, I enjoyed your pics of the Mercury, that is the ship that we are going on next month. Thanks again

Shelly

A few more thoughts. Check the Bart schedule, because on the weekends trains come much less frequently then weekdays. I stand corrected on luggage. You should be okay on a Sat. It was an excellent point that traffic may impact the cab fare. One other thought. Last time I was in that area going from Pier 39 back to the Hyatt area we tried to take a street car & they were absolutely jammed full. Parking is expensive and limited in that area and therefore people use mass transit.

Here's another idea. The weather will be great & it's a pretty ride. Bikes would be ideal for the trip, lol. Except for the luggage.

Norway 11/85

SS Independence 7/91

Star Princess 10/02

4/17 Celebrity CENTURY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;17;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Luv,

I understand being frugal, but 75 for 4 people to get to the pier is not that much money. I can't even begin to think about the hassle and drama of doing what you are talking about, let alone with luggage. Do you really want to start out a cruise with this much hassle over 75.00? Just my opinion.

Have a good cruise!

Can't wait till 4/25 Panama Canal

Hey Guys,

You do have a good point! I guess it is time to hold a family vote and see what everyone is willing and/or wanting to do. The sooner we get our luggage checked in the sooner we can spend some time sight seeing.

As far as the bike idea - I appreciate the thought but I could just see the four us on bikes with luggage - americas funniest videos just might have a new category - stupid human tricks!

Thanks again for the insight!

Shelly

Archived