Tallinn Restaurants

Yes, Olde Hansa in the old town. Pleasant patio. Charming servers. Had a blast. Think of it often. Try the wild boar platter and the strong beer with herbs. It's geared to tourist trade, didn't feel very "local" but so what.

Any recommendations for casual restaurants, beer pubs anyplace with good food and a little local flavor , medieval decor etc.

See Toompea and the 'walls' and work your way towards the main square. If Olde Hansa is too busy, look around. There are numerous outdoor cafes around the square and side streets that have some charm. If the weather is not too good, have a peek inside. They are all within easy walking distance.

As mentioned above, I would not hesitate to try something different. I had the reindeer sausage with sweet potatoes and red cabbage with sourcream. It was great.

We ate wonderful Estonian food at Vanaema Juures "Grandma's Kitchen". The address is Rataskaevu 10/12 and telephone 626 9080. We loved the food and the service. The restaurant is very small, fills up fast and is down in a cellar lit by candle light. If you would like to eat here, I suggest you get there by Noon so that you get a table.

We had lunch at Olde Hansa also, and it really was very good. Yes, there were a lot of tourists there, but I saw plenty of locals also. The waiters were very nice. We shared some dried reindeer that was delicious as an appetizer. I had some delicious mushroom soup and salad. My son had a more substantial stew that he said was great. Definitely recommend it.

I didn't mention it but I had the mushroom soup as well. It was served in an earthenware crock with a handle on the side, I suppose because spoons would be an anachronism (??). I don't want to give away all the cute little surprises, however, but I took photos of the menu.

I didn't mention it but I had the mushroom soup as well. It was served in an earthenware crock with a handle on the side, I suppose because spoons would be an anachronism (??). I don't want to give away all the cute little surprises, however, but I took photos of the menu.

If you mean that spoons are not in vogue, how about the soup served in San Francisco in a hollowed-out piece of bread?

I am only kidding, because we both know that a spoon is offered at both the Tallinn and San Francisco Fishersman's Warf restaurants.

The only times I eat soup without a spoon is at a Japanese restaurant (and they are certainly not behind the times).

It certainly sounds like you had a good time in Tallinn, Lindo. We did.

soup%20bowl%201.jpg

have to agree about Old Hansa and the terrific mushroom soup. We also had a meat salad - which was greens with some pieces of beef on top. We didn't want a big meal and it was great.

We also tried two of the cafes on the town square and both were good but we especially loved one. (We did a pub crawl in the square). check the prices because some are higher than the others.

If you stand with your back to the church the cafes make a U surrounding the square. The first one on your right was fabulous (closest to Old Hansa and closest to the church)- with comfy chairs and really nice wait staff - plus a very unique bathroom on the second floor. I promise - it is worth a visit!

Any recommendations for casual restaurants, beer pubs anyplace with good food and a little local flavor , medieval decor etc.

Last summer in Tallinn, we ate outside overlooking the main square in front of their historic City Hall. The picture below shows how much outside dining they have in a portion of this large and charming square. Also below, is a picture of the local beer we enjoyed there. Lots of places to eat in this town. If it's a nice day (as we had), outdoor dining is great for people watching and enjoying the historic architecture.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

1A-TallinOutdoorLunch.jpg

1A-TallinLocalBeer.jpg

1A-TallinFlowersBldg.jpg

1A-TallinTowersSteples.jpg

Archived