3G Internet Access?

megmno

We're going on our first cruise (Carnival Spirit July1-8 - Anchorage to Vancouver) and would like to take our laptops aboard, but the .55 cent to .75 cent per minute fees are a bit off putting.

I was considering getting one of those 3G phone company internet cards instead, or possibly one of the MiFi wireless routers that are about to come out (there was a review in the NYTimes a week or so ago).

Is it possible to use either device to connect to the 3G phone network and bypass using the ship's own wireless internet?

Meg

We're going on our first cruise (Carnival Spirit July1-8 - Anchorage to Vancouver) and would like to take our laptops aboard, but the .55 cent to .75 cent per minute fees are a bit off putting.

I was considering getting one of those 3G phone company internet cards instead, or possibly one of the MiFi wireless routers that are about to come out (there was a review in the NYTimes a week or so ago).

Is it possible to use either device to connect to the 3G phone network and bypass using the ship's own wireless internet?

Meg

Last word I saw was 3G was coming from AT&T May 18, 2009. Haven't heard any updates.

Meg

Verizon Air Cards run on Verizon's 3G network. Whether it is actually 3G in Alaska, I do not know. But my Verizon Air Card works VERY well all over Alaska. HOWEVER, since Air Cards are essentially cell phone connections to the internet, $.55-75 per minute will be CHEAP when compared to Cellular at Sea connections through a cell phone company air card. The connection fee is AT LEAST $2.95 per minute. Now off the ship, whole different ball game. Just whatever the cell company charges per month (mine is $59.99, unlimited usage, unlimited (up to Verizon capabilities) bandwidth.

Here is an article about Verizon's 3G service from 2004. Long time ago they rolled out 3G. It has been available all over the Continental 48 since 2006.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/114218/verizon_wireless_expands_3g_service.html

I have AT&T 3G data service for my laptop. It's a device that plugs in to the computer and essentially works like another cell phone on my cell phone plan. It worked fine in the ports of Alaska last year and didn't cost anything extra other than the $60 per month I already pay for the service. It even worked in Skagway when Princess said their internet connections wouldn't work because of no access due to the mountains (or something or other.)

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/usbconnect881/?_requestid=10787

• 3 weeks later...

The last time we were in Alaska, Princess didn't have cell phone service. We were able to use our Verizon phones in all three ports. Now that Princess has their own cell phone coverage, when do you turn on your phone and start using it? Do you wait until you dock so that you won't incur the outrageous cost/minute from the boat phone service?

I will have two 17 yr olds with me and I want to make sure they don't misunderstand and end up with fantastic bills due to their texting.

I have a verizon 3G card that I plan to take with me to Alaska. We leave a week from today for the land portion and as you can see below our cruise is on the 12th. I don't expect coverage at sea but I was thinking Anchorage and Juneau it might work.

I also have an iphone if there is no 3G with ATT does Edge work in most ports?

My port are Skagway, Ketchikan, Sitka and Juneau.

I will report back on my findings later this month.

I saw an announcement in the Anchorage paper this week that AT&T's 3G just went active this week. Sure enough I turn on my phone and it's got a big G on it now.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I am in Homer right now-typing on my laptop using my Verizon aircard's 3G network. I was in Anchorage late last night and sent a couple of emails to my employees to let them know I had arrived Alaska-again, on my laptop on Verizon's 3 G network.

I will be flying all over coastal Alaska for the next few days. I certainly intend to have the great Verizon service I had last year.

I saw an announcement in the Anchorage paper this week that AT&T's 3G just went active this week. Sure enough I turn on my phone and it's got a big G on it now.

great news, thanks for sharing!

• 11 months later...

I also have the Verizon aircard (actually a MiFi). Do you pay any extra fees for this while in Alaska, or do you just pay your usual $60/month? I am hoping to bring my iPad and connect via the MiFi while in port.

Thanks!

This is great news since my kids got me an Ipad for Mother's Day and my birthday (just a few days apart). It is only $29.99 for unlimited per month so this is a much better price than what has been posted on here. We leave tomorrow and I'm so ready!

Got to watch this thread because the most of it was posted a year ago, in May 2009.

Yes, we do have 3G in Alaska through AT&T.

Got to watch when you turn your things on because if the ship's cell tower is on then you'd be charged at the prices that comes through there not your usual rate.

I've had no problems once we get into port and dock (I have AT&T here in Alaska) that my AT&T shows as my provider and I'm charged at my plan's rates.

Archived