Live from the Golden May 16 Alaska

vickie_bernie

Our friends want to take Amtrak from Portland to Seattle. Is there a convenient shuttle or other transportation to the Pier? We are considering driving from Portland and I read that the Pier parking has room for 1000 vehicles. Do any of you know about Amtrak or Pier parking? Thanks! Great thread!

From the Amtrak station, grab a cab - it's about four miles, a straight shot up either Alaskan Way or First Avenue, and cabs are readily available, meeting each train. I can't think of a more hassle-free way to sail from Portland - a pleasant Talgo ride, a quick transfer.

Our friends want to take Amtrak from Portland to Seattle. Is there a convenient shuttle or other transportation to the Pier? We are considering driving from Portland and I read that the Pier parking has room for 1000 vehicles. Do any of you know about Amtrak or Pier parking? Thanks! Great thread!

Ninie I do not not know about Amtrac but if you go to the WestCoast Departures(North american Homeports) forum they were talking about amtrac over there. Lots of good info on that forum.

Marilyn

Vickie or Marilyn,

On the day you went to Tracey Arm, how much was the sanctuary? What did it include? Did you see many things listed in the press release?

I am glad you both had a great cruise. I'm going for the first time in June and I'm sure I'll want to go again. Do you have any tips? Anything you did or didn't do that you wish you did or didn't do?

Thanks Tanya

Hi, Vickie,

Enjoyed your Alaska posts.:) So, after finally going on an Alaskan cruise, would you go again?:confused: I'm still not convinced that I want to go!

We're booked on "Crown Princess" on Jan.9th. Why don't you come, too? :)It's only 7 days, but we're doing 7 days on "Oasis of the Seas" right after--we hope to be able to walk from one ship to the other!

Anita (and the elusive Richard);)

Vickie or Marilyn,

On the day you went to Tracey Arm, how much was the sanctuary? What did it include? Did you see many things listed in the press release?

I am glad you both had a great cruise. I'm going for the first time in June and I'm sure I'll want to go again. Do you have any tips? Anything you did or didn't do that you wish you did or didn't do?

Thanks Tanya

Hi Tanya

on the first day we headed up to the Sancturary (which we love in warmer climates) we did ask them about a package for the day sailing thru Tracy Arm - the attendant said $70 for the day, it included a few things like drinks, binoculars, food, but not sure what else. I did keep looking for a flyer on it later in the cruise but did not see anything. Of course because the weather was so nice and warm most people were just out on deck.

Wish we had more time in Ketchikan. Missed the cemetary in Skagway so I would check that out next time. And I heard the french fries in Carcross were good from some on the thread but missed those.

Defintely would rent a car again in Skagway, the buses from the ship were packed! We went at our own pace and stopped and stayed as long as we wanted.

To miss - hated all the crowds in Skagway when we got back in the afternoon it was like a wall of people (4 ships in port) hated it. Definately get off very early to enjoy the town before the crowds start up.

Hi, Vickie,

Enjoyed your Alaska posts.:) So, after finally going on an Alaskan cruise, would you go again?:confused: I'm still not convinced that I want to go!

We're booked on "Crown Princess" on Jan.9th. Why don't you come, too? :)It's only 7 days, but we're doing 7 days on "Oasis of the Seas" right after--we hope to be able to walk from one ship to the other!

Anita (and the elusive Richard);)

First thanks Anita, and we are about 95% sure we will be booking the Crown Princess for Jan 9. We have to take our vacation before the Olympics and we would like to do the Crown then the Ruby on b2b with 3 days in between in Florida. I posted on the roll call.

When I told Bernie you were both on that sailing he said "Oh good - I like them" that says a lot.

Now for your question on Alaska. Am I glad I did it, YES. Will I do it again, MAYBE. It was beautiful but I am definately a warm weather traveller. I hated wearing socks and long pants.

We did it only because we had that week off in vacation and it was cheap and two other couples we knew were going. So we though even if we just stay on the ship it was still a great vacation.

In the end we were very very satisfied. Glad we got to see that area. The scenery is very much like home and the wildlife is also like home but to see it thru so many other people's eyes was nice.

We will do it again if the ship fixes Seattle port and or sails 7 day return to Vancouver next year and it is a good deal.

Say hi to Richard, if he isn't sailing on such a beautiful day

Hi Tanya

on the first day we headed up to the Sancturary (which we love in warmer climates) we did ask them about a package for the day sailing thru Tracy Arm - the attendant said $70 for the day, it included a few things like drinks, binoculars, food, but not sure what else. I did keep looking for a flyer on it later in the cruise but did not see anything. Of course because the weather was so nice and warm most people were just out on deck.

Wish we had more time in Ketchikan. Missed the cemetary in Skagway so I would check that out next time. And I heard the french fries in Carcross were good from some on the thread but missed those.

Defintely would rent a car again in Skagway, the buses from the ship were packed! We went at our own pace and stopped and stayed as long as we wanted.

To miss - hated all the crowds in Skagway when we got back in the afternoon it was like a wall of people (4 ships in port) hated it. Definately get off very early to enjoy the town before the crowds start up.

I have been to Alaska many times. We rented a car once in Skagway and it worked very well. We got to see Dyea that way (no crowds) and Carcross / Emerald Lake in the same day.

Agree with you about an early start in Skagway. Also that applies to Ketchikan too. We enjoyed an early start there, but I went crazy later with claustrophobia while shopping in crowd-choked stores!

Vickie,

That's great news about you going on the Jan. 9th Crown cruise!! :)

Hopefully, now that you're posting on that board, the board will liven up.

If Princess were to do a return cruise from Vancouver to Alaska, I might even consider going.;)

Richard did go sailing this weekend--the weather has been fabulous!:)

Anita

Have we sailed together, jog my memory???

And thanks for the lovely comments, I love sharing my trips too and providing information. We certainly have been appreciative of all the information we have gotten from everyone else.

I regret that we have never been lucky enought to have met you onboard, but seem to join the ship after you sail. We hope to be onboard with you somtime so we can introduce ourselves in person.

Until then, we wish you many happy cruises and will watch for your live posts as we look forward to our cruises.

I regret that we have never been lucky enought to have met you onboard, but seem to join the ship after you sail. We hope to be onboard with you somtime so we can introduce ourselves in person.

Until then, we wish you many happy cruises and will watch for your live posts as we look forward to our cruises.

well that is nice, and heck you must be even nicer in person.... we just booked two cruises today for Jan. We have panama for Sept. Jump on

Do you remember if they offered the Ultimate Ship Tour?

Did you see the Free coupon book Destination Alaska at the pier?

I just got off of the Golden on the 23rd and yes the free coupon book is at the pier inside of the terminal.

I have looked at all of my Princess patters and did not see where they offered the Ultimate Ship tour. Maybe it is because they are still doing some work(for example Crown Grill) etc all over the ship.

Marilyn

Do you remember if they offered the Ultimate Ship Tour?

Did you see the Free coupon book Destination Alaska at the pier?

Richard the Cruise Director talked about the Ship tour and said it wasn't happening yet because of the construction but would start up once it was complete.

Any idea when it will be done? We cruise July 4th.

Thanks Vickie for taking the time to share your cruise with us and answering all our questions.

So did you buy any of the ship photos?

Didn't buy any photos, there were a couple we liked especially the ones of the group but we have some photos still packed away.

No idea when the ship will be completely done. But it is coming along.

Did they give you an estimate on the Crown Grill?

Last I had heard it was susposed to be finished during your cruise.

I had reported that the Crown Grill was suppose to be done during our cruise (from an officer), then I was told it would be finished at the end of the next cruise (by the same officer).

I did get to take a look at it, and it is pretty darn close to being ready - they were decorating the shelves and putting in glass accents. I see from your signature that you are sailing at the end of the month, I would think it would be done by then.

Please post and let us know if it is done.

Great Job Vickie...You are the best.

hey I am not going to argue with you Brian, but Bernie is busy laughing.

I highly recommend renting the car from sourdough car rentals. But book early .

Ketchican - I can see you taking a tour of Dolly's House of ill repute!

Did you see alot of scrapbooking stuff in each of the ports?

sorry I wasn't really looking, I am all digital now and create online albums and videos.

I believe Caroline got some nice scrapbooking stuff on the ship though.

Archived