Taormina -- Tour or On Our Own?

First of all, is Taormina worth doing or are we better off walking around Messina and then enjoying a nice afternoon on the ship??? Sometimes it's nice to have a big quiet ship all to yourself, so to speak.

IF we go, there are two options -- ship's transportation to/from with no tour and 3.5 hrs there on our own or a 4.5 hr tour that is mostly guided but includes "some" free time.

Yes, we're "fraidy cats" and prefer to use the ship's transportation in case there are problems. So, given the choices above, which is better? We are in good shape, can walk as needed, speak no Italian.

First of all, is Taormina worth doing or are we better off walking around Messina and then enjoying a nice afternoon on the ship??? Sometimes it's nice to have a big quiet ship all to yourself, so to speak.

IF we go, there are two options -- ship's transportation to/from with no tour and 3.5 hrs there on our own or a 4.5 hr tour that is mostly guided but includes "some" free time.

Yes, we're "fraidy cats" and prefer to use the ship's transportation in case there are problems. So, given the choices above, which is better? We are in good shape, can walk as needed, speak no Italian.

Do the "on your own" tour. It is an easy town to visit and enjoy. Not speaking Italian will be no problem. Most shops/restaurants have people who speak some english.

Taormina is a beautiful town. You really shouldn't miss it. I would do the 3.5 own your own tour. Its an easy DIY town. Search the forum, there are MANY threads answering any questions you may have about Taormina.

Absolutely, do Taormina on your own. It is a beautiful town with beautiful views and very easy to walk around. Our cruise critic group all pitched in on a private bus transport from the port to Taormina for about $12euro per person so we were able to stay for a longer time than the ship's excursion. Fellow passengers said that Messina was not nearly as nice. You must go!!!

What's the best way to get to Taormina from the port? We are a family of 4.

Family of four. I assume two adults and two children. Unless we are talking infants or young todlers, I would do like we did. Take the bus to and the train back. Not at all difficult. Gives you an insight into small town life in Italy. Check the Italy/Croatia review link in the sig line below.

What's the best way to get to Taormina from the port? We are a family of 4.

I just want to note that there are several ports that serve this town and each one is a different distance from town.

If the port is relatively close (eg., 30 minutes away) I would recommend a cruise line shuttle if it is provided.

Keith

Definitely go to Taormina. We spent 4 nights with it as our base in March. It is way nicer than Messina.

I would take the ship's shuttle there if one is offered. The streets are easy to stroll (most in the middle of town are pedestrian only). Definitely go to the Greek theater. Then find the pizza restaurant that is at the other end of the pedestrian street just inside the old gate and have lunch. Sorry, I can't remember the name. It is not directly on the street, but they have a sign there.

Taormina is a great town to just walk around in.

GSPlover- thanks for your link. I love your web pages. Very helpfil. I also love the pictures of your dogs. I am active in Springer rescue so I can appreciate your German Shorthaired Pointers. Sounds easy to take public transportation.

If your ship is in port until at least 5-6pm you can do it on your own well, but if your ship leaves at 2 or 3pm, I'd opt for the ship's excursion. Either way would work as this is a walking tour town, the bus only drives you to the the base of the hill below and you ride an elevator up to the town. Taoramina sits high and has an awesome view of the sea, Mt Etna, and the island. Then and the guide would give you the history, take you to the theatre and then tell you that you have x hours to meet them back in front of the fountain or church etc.

Taoramina is absolutely gorgeous, the Greco theatre is amazing, you can see Mt Etna smoking away in the distance, the quaint shops and restaurants are inviting, hand made pottery and crafts everywhere, and you feel like you are in another world. Our kids loved looking across at the Volcano and enjoyed just walking around eating gelato while we had a few glasses of local wine. Definitely go there, Messina doesn't even compare to it's charm or history.

Archived