The Best Cruise Ever! Glacier Bay Alaska, 5/6/09, Pictorial Review.

DarthGrady

Fabulous review and pictures! Congrats to you and your new wife! Last time a review was so good the reviewer became a host, remember Mach!

Thank you very much, I am humbled that you would compare mine with one of Mach's. He writes some of the best reviews I have seen!

I'm sorry I have to keep you guys hanging until tomorrow afternoon for more, but I had to work until 10 tonight, and I have to be back in 8-5 tomorrow. Dont worry though, I still have White Pass railroad pics to post as well as the seaplane excursion!

Grady awesome job on the review with pictures, it is like revisiting the cruise all over again, keeps the memories fresh.

You do a wonderful job with the words and pictures.

As I was reading I chuckled to myself as many of our photos are so similar.

It was definitely the best cruise I have ever been on and will not be forgotten anytime soon. It was WELL worth the long wait.

Hope to see you and Beth on a ship again sometime if not around Florida!

Susan

Thanks Susan! Theres plenty more cruises to come, Im sure we'll wind up cruising together again!

DarthGrady

Great review, we were planning to do a Eastern Caribbean cruise next spring, but after reading the reviews and the pictures, we might just change our plans. I do have a couple of questions if you do not mind to answer, is the ship kids friendly, we have a 3 and a half year old who would be 4 1/2 next time we go, is there anything she can enjoy. Other thing is we are vegetarians, are there options for us.

Once again, great review and pictures.

Charotarguy

DarthGrady

Great review, we were planning to do a Eastern Caribbean cruise next spring, but after reading the reviews and the pictures, we might just change our plans. I do have a couple of questions if you do not mind to answer, is the ship kids friendly, we have a 3 and a half year old who would be 4 1/2 next time we go, is there anything she can enjoy. Other thing is we are vegetarians, are there options for us.

Once again, great review and pictures.

Charotarguy

We dont have kids so I cant help much, but the few kids we did see were in Camp Carnival and seemed to be having fun. I do remember there being some kind of "Indian vegetarian" dish on the menu, but Im not sure what it consisted of. Sorry I couldnt help more.

Grady - it was fun cruising with you! Your pictures are wonderful! You got some great ones, I'm jealous of your room - I wish I had known about that since there we're 3 of us crammed together in a room. Keep the pics and story coming ! I love all your details.

Thank you very much, I am humbled that you would compare mine with one of Mach's. He writes some of the best reviews I have seen!

I'm sorry I have to keep you guys hanging until tomorrow afternoon for more, but I had to work until 10 tonight, and I have to be back in 8-5 tomorrow. Dont worry though, I still have White Pass railroad pics to post as well as the seaplane excursion!

I can't wait to see the White Pass railroad pictures!

Thanks for taking the time to post your pictures and review! Great job!:)

Thanks Grady for the wonderful review. I have been able to take our cruise all over again. When you rode the tram, was the eagle still in the cage? I also have a picture of our ship that I took after we got to the top. Can't wait for the rest.

Thanks for writing the review and the great pictures. I tried to talk my husband into an Alaska cruise this year, but I lost the battle. Alaska turned 50 this year and so do I, so I thought it would be a great way to celebrate. I am hoping to use your review to convince him to say yes to next summer.

Janice

Thanks Grady for the wonderful review. I have been able to take our cruise all over again. When you rode the tram, was the eagle still in the cage? I also have a picture of our ship that I took after we got to the top. Can't wait for the rest.

It was late when we went up there, so only the gift shop was still open. I didn't see any eagles. We did see one in Ketchikan, but I'll be getting to that shortly.

Day 5, Skagway:

We arrived at Skagway before I even woke up, so it was good that we didn’t have any early excursions. After walking around the historic downtown area and taking some pictures, we went back to the ship and had lunch. There is not a huge amount of things to do in Skagway besides tours and excursions.

My wife and I booked the White Pass Rail Road tour which departed from a rail line that runs right down the pier next to the ship. The trip runs about 30 miles up through the mountains from Skagway to the Canadian border. The sights on this trip are unbelievable. Huge valleys, snow covered mountains, a frozen lake and a winding river were some of the highlights. As with Glacier Bay, any attempt on my part to describe it would be pointless. I will just say that it is well worth the 3 hours and 100 or so dollars to take this trip.

The past guest party was held later in the evening before dinner. Chris did something I had never seen done before. He had a sort of trivia game for some of the past guests. Whoever wanted to could come up on stage and he would ask questions about Carnival. There would be two possible answers and folks would go to one side of the stage or the other depending on what they thought the answer was. Those who got it wrong would have to sit down. I made it to the last round, just me and one other guy, before I got eliminated. Apparently Robert Wagner did a Carnival commercial, I did not know that. Not knowing cost me a shot at a free dinner in the supper club for two, but life goes on.

Skagway from the ship

2334885880105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

The White Pass train picking up the morning group

2823208460105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

Ship banners, placed there on the rocks next to the pier to commemorate each ship and captain that sails into Skagway

2846861540105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

2386856780105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

The ship at the pier

2734245250105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

2734414810105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

At the Summit, just past the US/Canadian border

2496769330105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

The locomotive then attaches to the rear, the seat backs revolve to the opposite side (reversing the seating direction), everyone switches sides, and what was the back of the train is now the front.

2171952430105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

2780775040105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

The old bridge, no longer safe for use.

2800029640105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

2922085670105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

2228690690105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived