Hello from a new Member !

JustinCornell

Wow - there's so many different boards I'm not really sure where to put this !

Anyway, as way of introduction, My Name's Justin. I originally hail from the UK but have been living and working in Bermuda for the last 9 years now.

Myself, my wife (Penny) and parents have just booked the Dec 20 Caribbean cruise on the QM2. To say I'm looking forward to this is an understatement !

We're all in P1 rooms - Just one question though - There's P1-P3 rooms, what exactly is the difference between them ? Must admit to being slightly confused by the whole thing, but we managed to get a good deal on the two rooms through a local Travel Agent here.

Anyway, looking forward to joining in here, seems a friendly place - I'm just trawling through the posts now about the QM2 to find out more information - this will be our first cruise, my parents were regulars on the QE2.

Cheers

Justin

Wow - there's so many different boards I'm not really sure where to put this !

Anyway, as way of introduction, My Name's Justin. I originally hail from the UK but have been living and working in Bermuda for the last 9 years now.

Myself, my wife (Penny) and parents have just booked the Dec 20 Caribbean cruise on the QM2. To say I'm looking forward to this is an understatement !

We're all in P1 rooms - Just one question though - There's P1-P3 rooms, what exactly is the difference between them ? Must admit to being slightly confused by the whole thing, but we managed to get a good deal on the two rooms through a local Travel Agent here.

Anyway, looking forward to joining in here, seems a friendly place - I'm just trawling through the posts now about the QM2 to find out more information - this will be our first cruise, my parents were regulars on the QE2.

Cheers

Justin

Well Justin let me welcome you to our merry band, You may wish to also join the rollcall thread for your particular voyage but feel free to ask questions here and someone will answer you. Gynaecological problems take longer to solve but attract the greatest interest :) The difference between P1 and the others is position on the ship I believe.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Justin. The Cap'n is right - the only difference is the position on the ship. The closer to midships, the higher the price! Only 7 weeks to my first cruise on QM2. Hope I like her as much as QE2...but what's not to like?

Welcome. As others have stated it's location, location, location. Even though the Princess Grill cabins are all on deck 10 in a storm there is a noticeable difference between a cabin forward and a cabin midships. But the QM2 handles beautifully so movement is never a big issue. Any questions? please ask and we'll try to find the answer.

Just one more if I may ?

We're in 10055 and 10057 which I see are right by the lifts and stairs. Is it likely we'd be disturbed by noise of the elevators ?

Also - are the launderettes as bad in terms of territorial disputes as they have been made out ? I'm always an early riser, perhaps this would work in my advantage ! ;)

It is very unlikely that you will be disturbed, if you are in the Princess Grill why are you using the Launderette, send it to the laundry and give your wife a break you cheap ....

Ouch..At this rate I may have to revise my initial statement of the warmness of the interaction here.:p

I'm an honest to goodness Essex lad, while we're travelling in style I'm not one to throw money away on something I can easily do myself. Just wondering if I need pads and a helmet to attend the laundry is all ;):D

Just one more if I may ?

We're in 10055 and 10057 which I see are right by the lifts and stairs. Is it likely we'd be disturbed by noise of the elevators ?

Also - are the launderettes as bad in terms of territorial disputes as they have been made out ? I'm always an early riser, perhaps this would work in my advantage ! ;)

I have not sailed on the QM2 (yeT) but have had cabins by the lifts/elevators on both Princess and HAL and hardly noticed any noise. Maybe late at night you can faintly hear the 'ding' or some rowdy revelers trying to find home but I am sure that never happens on Cunard... :D

Here are some photos of our 2008 P3 cabin 10008 (forward, port). In 2006 we were in P1 cabin 10051 (midships, starboard). We felt the same ship's motion in the P1 (during a summer transatlantic) as we did in the P3 (during a winter Caribbean cruise); which is to say, just about nothing at all. Welcome, and bon voyage!

Just one more if I may ?

We did have a little bit of an altercation with a dwarf like woman on the QE2, but otherwise have not got into any serious disputes in the laundrette. The morning is probably a good time to do your laundry, formal nights can be hectic with everyone trying to get stuff ironed, and the queue tends to build up the further into the cruise you are, except for the first day when people who are joining the ship from land based trips are catching up with their washing. I have actually met some wonderful people in the laundrette, something you miss out on if you use the laundry services.

PG is a wonderful way to travel. Enjoy your holiday!

Lesley

PB82 & SafariGal - many thanks for the replies. Firstly thanks for the pictures - always nice to see what you're getting for the money ! Secondly thanks for the warning about rogue dwarves, I'll be sure to keep a lookout ! (Do they fit in the dryers ? ;) )

Justin - I guess you have a flight from Bermuda to join up with QM2, otherwise I was going to say - just take more clothes :) So far I have managed up to 21 day cruises without going near a launderette or even sending stuff to the laundy. I did have to surrender on a longer one, but then they usually have cheap offers on the laundry service :)

Welcome aboard Justin, PG on QM2 is just fabulous, you will have a wonderful time.

Whenever we passed the launderette on board it was always empty so you should be fine, although l do agree with the Cap'n about getting the ships laundry to take the strain! ;)

Jackie :)

One more remark regarding the laundry: As QE2 regulars your parents, Justin, might have reached the Platinum or higher level. In this case they get a 20% discount on all laundry which might help in the decision if doing it yourself is worthwhile the time and hussle.

Friends reported about some very unpleasant encounters and unsocial behaviour in the laundry room.

Welcome to the board Justin. I feel sure that you will have a fantastic time in PG.

The laundry does get a little crowded on rare occasions, but usually there is not really any problem. If you are an "Early Bird", then I feel sure that you will probably have it (mostly) to yourself in the early mornings.

You will find that some of the regular contributors to this board have a great wealth of knowledge (not to mention a wicked sense of humour), so please don't be afraid to ask any questions that you can't find answers to elsewhere.

Have a really great voyage.

Regards,

David

I use the laundry rooms frequently and I've never encountered a problem. It's been a great place to chat with people.

The laundry room is open 7:30 am to 9 pm. and there are always a few early birds around and washers in use first thing in the morning. As stated it's busy the first formal night because passengers are pressing shirts, dresses, etc. and first and last days because people arrive from other tours with laundry or are going on elsewhere afterward.

• 5 months later...
One more remark regarding the laundry: As QE2 regulars your parents, Justin, might have reached the Platinum or higher level. In this case they get a 20% discount on all laundry which might help in the decision if doing it yourself is worthwhile the time and hussle.

Friends reported about some very unpleasant encounters and unsocial behaviour in the laundry room.

I heard that recently a first time cruiser shook the hand while greeting a passenger leaving the laundry room. A strange rash developed, and within days, they transformed into a ghastly dwarf. It may be the one spoken of earlier on the thread. Point being, perhaps it may be best to allow the crew to do the laundry, strictly for self preservation purposes.

We recently had a P1 room directly opposite the "C" stairway and it was absolutely quiet at night. The lift lobby and stairways are basically in a separate room with a narrow doorway leading into the accommodation corridors. If we were in our room during the day we could hear the occasional "ding" noise from the lift area, but for some reason it seemed quieter at night. I'm not suggesting the "ding" is shut off (maybe the volume is reduced at night - who knows) but it was peaceful in that area.

Archived