No more past guest pins.

Fat Boy

I don't think anyone is pretending it's not another cut. I think we've just accepted that they're going to make cuts, and if they've got to cut something, most would rather it be the pins.

I think the little things are what keep people loyal to one brand over another. At some point, they'll cut enough that the some of the "Carnies" (myself included) will no longer find the value in the brand and will take our business elsewhere. As it is, they've removed most of benefits to being a past guest, and about the only thing Platinum gets you is priority boarding and laundry.

I agree that the Heald idolitry is silly. He's just another corporate puppet. The pedestal some have put him on is not warranted.

I tend to agree with you in general terms. But, to me, there is nothing compelling in being Platinum. I only sail in suites so I always get priority boarding/debarkation and I bring enough clothes that laundry is a non-issue (caveat - my suit jacket needed a press last cruise - for some reason the room steward had it pressed for free). I can't get excited about a $1 pin and stationery. That's just me.

John, and a number of other folks at Carnival, are aware of our desires.

He told me that he would let me know how this progresses and I'll post and let everyone know how it goes.

I'd be VERY surprised if we didn't see the pins in the on board shops...

;)

Thanks Host Mach. I know that the guests opinions DO matter to Carnival or things such as the Capers tear off end would not happen. Julie

I tend to agree with you in general terms. But, to me, there is nothing compelling in being Platinum. I only sail in suites so I always get priority boarding/debarkation and I bring enough clothes that laundry is a non-issue (caveat - my suit jacket needed a press last cruise - for some reason the room steward had it pressed for free). I can't get excited about a $1 pin and stationery. That's just me.

Many, if not most, people are creatures of habit. Give me a fillet for dinner every Tuesday for three years in a row and I'll expect fillet on Tuesday.

Give me a ship's pin on every cruise I sail on and I expect a pin. It's part of the fluff and fun that makes Carnival cruise a Carnival cruise.

I'm sure that lots of newer cruisers aren't interested in pins but many of us are. I don't collect or display the pins but I have them... somewhere... and I like them.

:)

I think the pins in the gift shop would only be a plus for Carnival. Why give something away that will be thown away, but for a dollar or two...put them in the gift shop. Now nobody throw anything at me....I have my pin and will buy the ones I don't have if they put them in the gift shop. I have my Cruise Critic pin also from years ago!

Disney made $$$ from their pins and even have pins that are only available on certain days of the year.

I thought it was interesting that today in John Heald's Blog he mentioned the pins again and he said they are looking at making them available in the gift shop.

Glad to know there are so many disappointed people out there.

Maybe we'll be able to get the pins somehow after all. (eventually!)

I have been collecting pins since 1996. I saw some in a gift shop, and thought it would be a much cheaper hobby than collecting t-shirts. Then Disney started selling pins. I have been buying pins whenever I can find them on every vacation since 1996. I was so happy to get one for free at the Carnival past guest parties. I bought the cheezy ones they sold in the gift shop too. And any good ones I could find in port. Why didn't they ask the past guests if they wanted the pins? Why just assume that no one liked them and take them away? I agree with Dave that they should at least have a board with pins for ALL Carnival ships available in the gift shops. But good quality pins like the past guest pins. Not the cheap looking gold colored ones with the name of the ship.

I think all of us who care should write on our comment cards to bring back the past guest pins. I know they read the comment cards. Many things have improved over the years because of suggestions from the cards. We need to start a campaign. My next CCL cruise isn't until October. How about some of you who are cruising sooner?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Cheryl D.

Just off the Spirit and I got ours

Hi Leah,

I just got off the Spirit too & got 2 pins each since we did a B2B. It was a great cruise wasn't it ? Alaska was AWESOME...I can't wait to cruie again. Have a great time at Disney, we went last November & had a ball with the grandkids... Are you staying in Disney ??

I agree with Cheryl D. We need to start a campaign doing this on our

comment cards. Also by doing a email campaign.

Here is the contact Carnival address:

http://www.carnival.com/contactus.aspx

I love my pins and would hate not getting them anyone.

JR

The folks at Carnival are following this thread very closely. They're aware of the disappointment that eliminating the Past Guest Pins has caused.

For some it's nothing. For other's it's a tradition that's fading into the past.

I'll be VERY surprised if we don't see the pins in the gift shops soon.

The folks at Carnival are following this thread very closely. They're aware of the disappointment that eliminating the Past Guest Pins has caused.

For some it's nothing. For other's it's a tradition that's fading into the past.

I'll be VERY surprised if we don't see the pins in the gift shops soon.

Here's hoping, Mach. I have a baseball cap I bought on our first cruise and I keep adding pins to it. Last year on Valor, a woman next to me on the Grand Cayman tender asked me about the pins and what kept us coming back to Carnival. In that instance, they certainly were a great selling point.:) I'm hoping for a Miracle pin to add to the collection in 2 months.

I sent an email to Carnival asking if we could be sent our pins for our November cruise in advance before they are all gone. I did this with NCL also as they are eliminating them also. NCL sent them right out to us with no problems.

Dave

On my cruise last October a really nice lady gave me her Past Guest pin from the Pride because she had one from all of the ships that Carnival owns and has owned. She has been collecting them since they started giving them out, so now I am doing the same thing, except that since this was announced, I am buying them off of EBay. I only have two more to get for the current 22 ships, the Splendor and the Holiday. I also put them on my Carnival visor that I only wear when I am cruising.

"I think its safe to say that many people have confessed to loving these simple pins that we used to hand out and the amount of folks who were disappointed that we have stopped giving them took us all a little by surprise. I need you and everyone to know that while we have indeed stopped handing them out to past guests that your comments both here and on the cruise boards have been well noted. Therefore an order has come down from senior vice president level to try to get them into the gift shops as quickly as we can. And not just the ones specific to the ship but pins representing the entire fleet.

So, give me a few more days and I should have more news for all you pin lovers (of which I am one) the latest news."

___

Woo hoo is all I have to add!!!

"I think its safe to say that many people have confessed to loving these simple pins that we used to hand out and the amount of folks who were disappointed that we have stopped giving them took us all a little by surprise. I need you and everyone to know that while we have indeed stopped handing them out to past guests that your comments both here and on the cruise boards have been well noted. Therefore an order has come down from senior vice president level to try to get them into the gift shops as quickly as we can. And not just the ones specific to the ship but pins representing the entire fleet.

So, give me a few more days and I should have more news for all you pin lovers (of which I am one) the latest news."

___

This is exciting, but they still should give them to past guests WHO ASK FOR THEM. They do not need to just put them in the rooms, but if a past guest goes to the pursers desk and requests one, then they should give it to them.

"i think its safe to say that many people have confessed to loving these simple pins that we used to hand out and the amount of folks who were disappointed that we have stopped giving them took us all a little by surprise. I need you and everyone to know that while we have indeed stopped handing them out to past guests that your comments both here and on the cruise boards have been well noted. Therefore an order has come down from senior vice president level to try to get them into the gift shops as quickly as we can. And not just the ones specific to the ship but pins representing the entire fleet.

So, give me a few more days and i should have more news for all you pin lovers (of which i am one) the latest news."

___

woo hoo is all i have to add!!!

yay!!!!!!!!

While the cruise lines are still selling out their cruises during this bad economic year, to do so they have dropped the price considerably. With lower revenues the little things have to be dropped, cost cutting is a response to lower revenues.

Everyone is right, the pins don't cost much and they are nice to receive. But when many treat the pins as if they don't cost a penny, and don't treasure the pins, the pins are the first item on the list of cost cutting.....

This is exciting, but they still should give them to past guests WHO ASK FOR THEM. They do not need to just put them in the rooms, but if a past guest goes to the pursers desk and requests one, then they should give it to them.

Would be nice for past guess only be able to get them, even if we have to pay a few bucks. :rolleyes:

How about a card in the room of each past guest that says, "Give this to your steward if you wish to receive a past guest pin".

I would say, get them at the purser's desk, but that place is busy enough and a recent cruise had 2200 past guests on a 3000 passenger ship.........

___

Yep... that's what John promised me several days ago.

Not everyone that sails on Carnival finds the 'little things' that important but for many of us it's become a part of the entire experience.

Now, kudos to Carnival and I would ask what other cruise line is a responsive and sensitive to their passengers as Carnival is...

Ooops... there I go again... being a cheerleader... sorry...

;)

Now, kudos to Carnival and I would ask what other cruise line is a responsive and sensitive to their passengers as Carnival is...

i will give it to them that it was a pretty quick turn around. though i don't think the logistics should be so difficult as to prevent a near immediate turn-around - same suppliers, same item, just now in the gift shop. but it's just been a few days, granted.

to put it in to perspective - changes of policy, and product, happen constantly. rccl did it not long ago, and stripped loyal past guests of benefits worth potentially hundreds of dollars, which of course caused a huge ruckus and mass exodus, meanwhile while they have continued to maintain inflated prices despite an economic crisis and even swine flu, and reduced bookings. bad move, i think... potential cut in product / service - hundreds of $.

carnival decided to stop offering fruit punch because it stains (duh), and giving a 0.50-1.00 pin to past guests. but then offering it in the gift shop, for what i will just propose will be what, 2-4.00?... potential cut in product / service - 2.50 - 5.00 (assuming you don't get a free one, and have to buy one for $2-4, and there's enough other free beverages you can drink)...

and meanwhile, they have been far more responsive in offering more attractive rates for bookings, while introducing programs like early saver (great) and cash back (not always so great). i appreciate that they're looking out for MY bottom line... and i'll still continue to spend ridiculous amounts of money on board to get 'em back :cool:

i don't forsee a mass exodus, and respect that i'm out maybe 5 bucks. :cool:

(and i would pay for it, and don't resent the fact that i have to, especially considering how many people they were gifted to that couldn't care less)

i'd rather lose a pin than past guest priveleges, or the 'touch / feel / eat / experience' type things. :D

I guess my plan to sell my past guest pins on Ebay isn't going to work out so well...

Thanks Carnival:rolleyes:

p.s. In case you couldn't tell, I am one of those who couldn't care less...and I just got one on my 5/3 Splendor cruise

Archived