Cell Phone Usage in US Ports

secrui

If you use your cell phone on the ship in a US Port while waiting for the ship to depart or upon return, while waiting to debark, are you charged based just on your cell phone plan, or is it considered as if you were at sea and thus a high cost per minute?

Thanks!

Iv heard it has happened both ways. We have a Tracfone and know that at most we get charged 2 units until of 1 unit for roaming, so I never worry and use it until I get cut off from service.

You might get replies more exact to your phone service if you mentioned what phone service you have.

There was a thread around here about a dude who was waiting to board and was using his data plan. Thought he was on his cell provider, but turned out he was on the cell tower of the Carnival "boat". He was charged a crazy amount. The word on here is that Carnival is suppose to turn off its cell tower(stated by CC ppl not Carnival). I believe the op of that thread showed proof he was still in port and his charges were waved.

So in theory, you should not be on Carnivals tower while in port, but this is only a theory.

GL

If you use your cell phone on the ship in a US Port while waiting for the ship to depart or upon return, while waiting to debark, are you charged based just on your cell phone plan, or is it considered as if you were at sea and thus a high cost per minute?

Thanks!

I have never been charged sea rates unless I am truly at sea - you have to be a certain distance out before it will kick in - just watch the cell phone.

How would they know if you were calling from he dock or the ship...they would be using the same tower....

While you're in port, the captain should have turned off the cellular at sea tower on board the ship. It's easy to tell what rate you'll be charged. I have AT&T. Your phone should show what service its currently connected to at the top of the screen. If it says cellular at sea, you will be charged the higher rate. If it says AT&T, Verizon, etc, you will be charged your normal rates.

MIke

What about in Canada? I have AT&T wireless for personal and T-Mobile for work. Even though my "out of office" will be on, that still doesn't mean that I won't have customers that completely ignore it. I can make a call or two in Vancouver and Victoria, as long as it's not unreasonable, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's included as part of the service (from the carriers, not Carnival).

What about in Canada? I have AT&T wireless for personal and T-Mobile for work. Even though my "out of office" will be on, that still doesn't mean that I won't have customers that completely ignore it. I can make a call or two in Vancouver and Victoria, as long as it's not unreasonable, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's included as part of the service (from the carriers, not Carnival).

Answering my own question (from the AT&T wireless site):

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/affordable-world-packages.jsp

For Canada and Mexico, you can add international for $4.99 a month with .59 per minute roaming in either country.

Still have to check T-Mobile, although I would think my company would cover it if it's for work purposes.

Archived