What's Nassau like for a morning stop?

English Rose

I have just found out that our stop at Princess Cays has been replaced with a 7-11.30 am stop at Nassau. (Sun Princess 22 December) I am very disappointed to hear this as I have heard some very negative comments about Nassau. What is wrong with it and what is there to do in such a short space of time? Thanks.

There really isn't anything "wrong" with it, but the nice beaches are a good little ride from where you will dock and if you are only there 7 - 11AM, it really does not afford much of an opportunity to go to them or explore much of the island. You could walk over to the straw market, which is now a closed in air conditioned shopping center with 90% of the stuff made in China, take a walk along the main street and check out the shops or, stay on the ship and enjoy the view from the deck and enjoy the pool deck while everyone else goes ashore..

Well have been there many times but for golf packages.

I think the shops at the docks + straw market open a 9am. The ship is right there. Downtown is fine for walking around. I would suggest Atlantis but your time is limited. We may also be going there in Jan on the Dawn princess and I probably won't bother getting off. If I do it would be for just to walk around the shops. Typical tourist stores.

Enjoy :D

One good thing about arriving early, is that normally there are fewer cruise ships that arrive in the morning, most of them arrive around noon. The shops will be less crowded because of this. Recently on a cruise we docked early in the morning, we went out shopping and had many places to ourselves at the start, as noon got closer and closer, Nassau got noticeably more crowded. We were done by noon. I headed to a bar while wife went back aboard ship. I got to watch the hordes shop.

I've been there many times, but it's a 20 minute flight or a quickie 3 day cruise for me. The shopping there is no big deal--the ship had better prices on booze. OK restaurants. Very nice beaches, and the Atlantis complex is worth a visit, but you won't really have enough time. Nothing really historical of note. I'd stay on the boat.

Les

Archived