Family of 5 in GEM AB suite?

Hi, we are considering a 14 night Med cruise on the GEM in June '10 and are trying to figure out our staterooms. There are 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 boys (then 17, 14, 10), and are wondering if we would be squeezed in with a AB Penthouse (2 bedroom). Or should we go with two attaching mini-suites? We could also do an AE Penthouse (1 bedroom) for "the adults" and an inside stateroom "for the boys", but are concerned that the boys would not be able to join us for breakfast and/or lunch at special places if we so desire to eat in them.

Opinions?

Thanks.

Hi, we are considering a 14 night Med cruise on the GEM in June '10 and are trying to figure out our staterooms. There are 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 boys (then 17, 14, 10), and are wondering if we would be squeezed in with a AB Penthouse (2 bedroom). Or should we go with two attaching mini-suites? We could also do an AE Penthouse (1 bedroom) for "the adults" and an inside stateroom "for the boys", but are concerned that the boys would not be able to join us for breakfast and/or lunch at special places if we so desire to eat in them.

Opinions?

Thanks.

Just remember none of you will get the perks with the attaching mini-suites.

The AB would be a little tight but the master bathroom and perks are awesome. If you do the AE suite with an inside, they will consider the boys part of your reservation/group fpr suite amenities. Just give the concierge a heads up. We had an AD and a minisuite and were considered one group. I am not sure, but you might need to book 1 adult in each cabin and split up the boys for the reservations. However, when it's time to board just get extra key cards for each cabin or switch the adult's card with the kid card. Might not hurt to get an extra card for the inside cabin for the parents to make "spot visits".

I assume you feel comfortable with the 17year old being in charge in the inside ;) Actually teens appreciate the dark inside cabins to sleep in. :cool:

If the boys do not mind "camping" in the little bedroom, I would go for it! You still have the nice dining area, small living room area, and the great master bedroom and bath for you! You all also get full suite perks like Cagney's without any need for special waivers, etc.

That one cabin will cost less as well.

The boys might be a bit happier with the AE and an inside, but....

The AB would be a little tight but the master bathroom and perks are awesome. If you do the AE suite with an inside, they will consider the boys part of your reservation/group fpr suite amenities. Just give the concierge a heads up. We had an AD and a minisuite and were considered one group. I am not sure, but you might need to book 1 adult in each cabin and split up the boys for the reservations. However, when it's time to board just get extra key cards for each cabin or switch the adult's card with the kid card. Might not hurt to get an extra card for the inside cabin for the parents to make "spot visits".

I assume you feel comfortable with the 17year old being in charge in the inside ;) Actually teens appreciate the dark inside cabins to sleep in. :cool:

The official line is that the inside would NOT be considered for suite amenities such as breakfast and lunch in Cagneys. Depending on number of passengers and the concierge this "perk" may be granted but I would not depend on it.

Here's another thing: Since all 3 boys are under 21, one of you will have to book the inside with 2 of the boys. And, the other in the AE with one of the boys. But, you can switch keys at the Purser's Desk.

Also, when my parents were on the Dawn with us last year, they were in an AF mini suite. We were in the AB and they had breakfast with us in Cagney's. The person at the door asked me for my room number, but no one else in our party. If your reservations are linked then I think it would be ok.

BUT, like I said earlier, the AB is awesome. I think you should go for that!

We had five in a Courtyard Villa, same set up as the AB. NO problems. Plenty of space. The room steward made the small bedroom bed up into sleeping bag type covers where each person had their own duvet and sheets.

Good luck in your decision and happy cruising.

Connie

Archived