Need a top for an evening skirt

rmmm

I posted this on the HAL site and someone suggested that I post it on this board. I have a long leaf green satin evening skirt with a taffeta overlay. It is really pretty. I don't have a top for it and I haven't really had any luck finding something appropriate. Someone suggested a camisole but my chest is a 40D and I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a silk camisole. I am in my forties so I am not really the sequined top kind of girl. Any suggestions?

A simple, chiffon top in black, white, burgandy, gold, or off-white with ruffles, bows, or pleating? All are very in now. Hopes this helps, if nothing else, to give you an idea of a style that may work. Of course, without seeing the skirt, it's hard to tell.

From Speigel.com:

F0770009_SDE09_048_T?$138x173$S0918161_SDE09_001?$138x173$F0769020_8A07_002?$138x173$

These are from Newport-News.com:

F0814006_NBA08_001?$136x171$F0763016_NAA08_007?$136x171$F0214112_NAA08_022?$136x171$

As a 38DD, I can say with some confidence that you probably won't be wearing a fuzzy sweater or a halter top.:D

• Have you tried a pretty surplice (wrap front) blouse. On those rare occasions when I find one I can wear, they're wonderfully flattering - making your waist look really small.
  • Another possibility might be a very tailored charmeuse or crepe de chine blouse. Add a dressy belt or sash, and some flashy jewelry and you'll be quite elegant.
  • Buy a bright tank top (much easier for folks like us than a camisole) and layer a floaty chiffon jacket over it.

I would try some combination of a solid in a complementary color to your skirt (anything from a very red purple to fuchsia to red. The latter, of course, is a bit Merry Christmas! A bright white would also work. Add a touch of pattern in a sash or floaty top - and you'll look great. You might even get lucky enough to find a dressy blouse in a dressy print that goes well with your skirt. You don't have to be bare to be sexy!

Depending on the shape of the skirt, I would probably take the last choice, but any of them will work. The skirt sounds gorgeous enough to not need any added glitz. It's formal night on a cruise ship, not a Mardi Gras ball!

Have fun.

Donia

A simple, chiffon top in black, white, burgandy, gold, or off-white with ruffles, bows, or pleating? All are very in now. Hopes this helps, if nothing else, to give you an idea of a style that may work. Of course, without seeing the skirt, it's hard to tell.

From Speigel.com:

F0770009_SDE09_048_T?$138x173$S0918161_SDE09_001?$138x173$F0769020_8A07_002?$138x173$

These are from Newport-News.com:

F0814006_NBA08_001?$136x171$F0763016_NAA08_007?$136x171$F0214112_NAA08_022?$136x171$

Hi Vickie, I love the 3rd one on the top row!!!

I would probably wear it with black dress slacks...not sure

how that one would go with a taffita skirt though (maybe its just me) LOL

Hi Vickie, I love the 3rd one on the top row!!!

I would probably wear it with black dress slacks...not sure

how that one would go with a taffita skirt though (maybe its just me) LOL

I think you're right, Lois. it would look nice with slacks. Could even work with nice jeans or capris!

Thanks to everyone who posted (and recommended Spiegel - I never thought of them!) I found a pretty top that I think will go really well with the skirt.

http://www.spiegel.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=36393221

I also found this one - Both really pretty, it depends on how revealing I want to be at dinner I guess!

http://www.spiegel.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=37062221

If it were me, I'd take the skirt shopping and try it on with different style tops. Only then would I be able to see what is working and what is not.

Your skirt sounds lovely! Are you sure the overlay is taffeta? I thought that fabric was opaque, tightly woven so you can't see through it. Is it not something like organza...a sheer see through fabric?

Thanks to everyone who posted (and recommended Spiegel - I never thought of them!) I found a pretty top that I think will go really well with the skirt.

I also found this one - Both really pretty, it depends on how revealing I want to be at dinner I guess!

You're correct about revealing. I've found that those kind of wrap necklines tend to be revealing and I've always had to pin them to prevent "spillage" and I don't have a lot to spill.:p The first one may serve you better.

Thanks Happy KS, it is organza. I actually had to get it out of the closet and look at it. I haven't worn it in two years. I have another evening skirt that is similar only the overlay is that "burned velvet" style. That one I have a top for already but I don't think I am taking that one.

I really like both of them! Don't rule out the second one just yet. Try it with a cami underneath. Maybe you could find one in the same green as the skirt. If not, then do white, like the blouse. Although, just for fun, if you happen to find gold, that might work very well color-wise.

MMM - Your choices are gorgeous! Surplice tops can be tricky for us "full-figured" gals. Why not order both of them and return the one that doesn't work? I would also suggest losing the self belt and substituting something more colorful. A long scarf tied as a sash or even a length of 2-3" ribbon in a bright print or solid color.

There's a wonderful product called fashion tape that's perfect for managing those wrap blouses. It's basically just double-sided tape - but thin and sheer and with an adhesive that would damage delicate fabrics. If you've never tried it, go online and find some. It's great stuff! And it's a lot less obvious than pins.

Have a wonderful trip. Donia

There's a wonderful product called fashion tape that's perfect for managing those wrap blouses. It's basically just double-sided tape - but thin and sheer and with an adhesive that would damage delicate fabrics. If you've never tried it, go online and find some. It's great stuff! And it's a lot less obvious than pins.

I've used the same thing - it's called Hollywood Fashion Tape. I bought it at Drugstore.com for $7.50. It came with around 30 strips. It really works! I have a few tops that go straight across the chest with a built in shrug look. But when you move or bend, the straight edge drops down and you see right in. One strip of tape in the middle keeps it where it belongs!

I've used the same thing - it's called Hollywood Fashion Tape. I bought it at Drugstore.com for $7.50. It came with around 30 strips. It really works! I have a few tops that go straight across the chest with a built in shrug look. But when you move or bend, the straight edge drops down and you see right in. One strip of tape in the middle keeps it where it belongs!

That's the stuff! I can buy it here at a couple of local stores. I also love it for those shirts with the buttons in the wrong place over the bust line. It's an instant cure for "gap-osis"! Love it!

I got a 50% off sale email from Barrie Pace today and as I was looking at the items I noticed that if you go to tops and pick fitted ..they have a LOT of very nice tops some very similar to what you posted from Spiegel .. Here are a few that caught my eye .. they all say more colors available so it will take some looking as always since it is a sale .. but might be worth a look

F106_B1218_D_WEB_018.largeThumb.jpgF107_D9005_F_41A.largeThumb.jpgH108_F12AP_F_4.largeThumb.jpg

Archived