Has Anyone Ever done the Bermuda Caves

hoytarchery999

i was wondering if anyone has ever gone through the caves in bermuda and if so do you have to fit through any tight or narrow places in the caves? and how did you like it and how long does it take to get through them. thanks

If you are talking about the Crystal Caves you don't have to fit through tight or narrow spaces. And neither cave is long. However it is a lot of steps down to the caves. Anyone with disabilities could have a problem with the steps.

We felt the Crystal Caves were overrated and wouldn't do it again. Many better caves here in the U.S.

I agree they are overrated if one has been to caves in the US. The first time I went I had been to some of the larger caves in Kentucky and also western US and I was disappointed in the Crystal Cave which was the only one open at the time. On another trip they had opened up the second cave, Fantasy cave and I had to see that but was still disappointed. Then a third time I was with a group and just went to meet them when they finished the caves to go to the Swizzle Inn but someone who had been to one of the caves said it was too many steps for his wife, she had had a hard time of it, she wasn't going to do the other and gave me her ticket so I joined my group and saw the cave again. That is why I mention the steps. However if one has never been in a cave at all those caves are a good introduction and the guides do a good job.

I also think the Aquarium and Zoo are overrated but again being from the home of the National Zoo and not far from the National Aquarium I guess I am spoiled. To me they were somewhat dumpy.

How long would you allow to walk through both caves?

The actual time in the caves is not that long. I would guess 20 or 30 minutes at most but you need to allow several hours because there is usually waiting time to get in as the number that can go in at one time is not large. They are not large caves. The waiting time will be less the earlier in the day one goes. What I found worked nice was to go early to the caves then have lunch at the Swizzle In which is a short walk and spend the afternoon after lunch at a beach.

We just returned from Bermuda last week, and all the above posts are right on. We, too, have been through some much more extensive cave systems in the U.S., so found the Crystal and Fantasy caves somewhat of a "that's all there is?" reaction. If you've never seen one, they are very beautiful, and you will more in awe than we were. You should know, though, that there are LOTS of stairs in both caves (88 in one, 81 in the other, I think). I don't do uphill stairs very well, so was half dead when I got back to the top! Also, the first cave we did, Fantasy, was pretty stuffy down there, not cool like caves usually are. The guide said that in the summer it gets to be, like 85 degrees down there and very humid. So take that into consideration, if you are going in summer. I think the cost was $52 for both caves, for the two of us. Swizzle Inn is just down the road, makes a great place to stop for a cool drink to re-hydrate after all that stair climbing!

Archived