What Impact does the Cruise Director have on a Cruise

Cruise Arizona

Just wondering from all of you Multiple Celebrity Cruisers, how much of an impact does the Cruise Director have on your cruise.

Last year, David Cole was our cruise director. I thought he did a great job. He was personable, knew me by name after the first day, and responsive to a special request I had. Overall the cruise was great fun!!!

How much does the quality of the cruise director vary from ship to ship, or voyage to voyage on the same ship.

Do you have a favorite Cruise Director.

We just got off the Mercury & I loved Julian! He was fantastic--VERY personable, always around & approachable. The CD's on some of my other ships have been less than memorable! Julian was very entertaining & seemed to keep the pax interested in things with his enthusiasim.

All depends on the cruise , the cruiser and the rest of the staff. There have been times I have become good friends with the cruise director, other times never talking to him. Dave is one who is a good friend, he is no longer with Celebrity. Now serving with Princess on the Coral Princess. He really is enjoying the change.

I agree, Julian was great. He would be my model of an "ideal" cruise director. Approachable, visible, & knew how to keep the mood light within good taste.

I just remember the cruise director on Century last August. I think his name was Ray or something, but he was just bad. The only time you saw him was at the show each night and he was always saying "I can't hear you......" Puh-leeze.

Too bad for us Celebrity people that Dave went over to Princess. Our Mercury Cruise was his last on that ship, and I think He was going over to the Century or Constellation.

The fun thing about Dave was that he really got inot his job. I like the fact that he sang Country with the band on Country Western Night in the Disco.

We actually met him when we were trying to "Promonade" on the Promonade Deck while we were still in port in San Diego. He was waiting outside the Back Stage area to do his Welcome aboard Speil. My husband and I talked with him for about 5 minutes. We didn't realize until the next day that he was the CD. Very Un-pretencious (spelling??)

We hope that we have CD this good on our next cruise.

IMHO the effect of the cruise director is more important in how he manages the entertainment staff. I have seen cruise directors with limited personality but events went off as they were supposed to and vice versa. Remember, his/her most important job is to be good manager.

Don

Archived