Amtrak station near Cape Liberty?

cruiseapril

We would like to know which Amtrak station is nearest to Cape Liberty and about how many miles?

Thanks in advance for any information.

The closest Amtrak Station is Newarks(NJ) Penn Station. Its about 12 miles as the crow flies and about a $40 cab ride. New Yorks(Manhattan) Penn Station is almost as close if not closer but much more expensive a cab ride as they are not required to take you....

• 2 weeks later...

You are coming from NE so Newark Penn Station would be before Newark Airport Station. The difference in price is about $5. Price it all out before you decide. At Newark Penn Station you will have to get downstairs with your luggage and find a cab. At Newark Airport station you will have to transfer to the airtrain with your luggage and get to the rendezvous point for the RCL shuttle bus. If that is at a terminal, you will have to get your luggage all the way downstairs and find the bus. Then you would have to wait around until they filled the bus. If you arrive really early (which you might want to do to ensure you get there), you could cool your heels for a while at the airport. If you arrive on the late side, a cab from Newark Station will be faster. Personally, I'd go directly to the port from Newark station and spend my "wait" time by the ship.

There is also an Amtrak station at Newark Liberty Airport. RCI runs the shuttle bus from the airport to the cruise ship.

Amtrak Northeast Regional stops at EWR.

Actually, there isn't one at the airport. The Airtrain takes you to and from Newark Penn Station almost like a shuttle train.

From the Amtrak web site.

"A monorail connects Newark Liberty International Airport Rail Station to airport terminals. Monorail fare is included in Amtrak tickets to and from the Newark Airport Rail Station.

To use this monorail, Amtrak passengers must present to the station gate agent their Amtrak ticket receipt showing Newark Airport as the destination or boarding point. Passengers without tickets showing Newark Airport must purchase $5.00 monorail tickets from the NJT ticket vending machines located at the transfer station.

Passengers must have Amtrak tickets before boarding Amtrak trains from this station.

There is no direct access to this station by road, only by train or the monorail. Parking and other facilities are available at the airport."

I've never actually done the whole trip from the airport station to the airport terminals, but it looks like a PITA with serious luggage. I've been on the monorail between the terminals and the parking. The pieces are all there so you can do it and there are escalators and elevators, but there are several transfers and a lot of ups and downs and within the terminal it seemed like there was a lot of walking.

."

I've never actually done the whole trip from the airport station to the airport terminals, but it looks like a PITA with serious luggage. I've been on the monorail between the terminals and the parking. The pieces are all there so you can do it and there are escalators and elevators, but there are several transfers and a lot of ups and downs and within the terminal it seemed like there was a lot of walking.

It is a major PIA with luggage. I've done it several times and never again.

Firstly, it takes forever. Secondly you are constantly schlepping your luggage up and down stairs and the final set at Penn Station is a skinny escalator.

Even with light carry on it turns into an ordeal.

Thirdly with more than two people you are only saving a couple of dollars off car service with much more hassle.

Finally, after you get to Penn Station, you still have to take a cab, car service, bus, or subway to your final destination unless you want to walk.

Whatever you do if you walk, don't even think of walking up crowded Seventh Avenue with luggage.

Because there isn't any access to the Newark Airport station unless you go through the airport, I don't consider it one. Newark Penn station is a lot less expensive and easier to access.

So while the airport technically has a station, I don't consider it one.

Thanks for confirming my impressions that it is a PITA. Unfortunately, when giving advice to folks who are totally unfamiliar with the Newark area, we have to be very precise. Newark Penn Station and New York Penn Station are bad enough, but Newark Penn Station and Newark Airport Station are even more confusing. Many of our visitors come from areas that have little or no public transportation, so the NY metro area is an urban shock. That's why I am advising folks to take a cab from the airport or the hotel to Newark Penn Station and then the NJ Transit or Path into NY. The "free" hotel shuttles are very enticing to go back to the airtrain and the train to NY, but this could be very time consuming if the connections don't mesh well and the price difference is small. For adventurous folks on a tighter budget, we have bus suggestions.

. Secondly you are constantly schlepping your luggage up and down stairs and the final set at Penn Station is a skinny escalator.

My mistake. After you go up that skinny escalator, you are only on the main floor of Penn Station. You still have yet another set of stairs to go up to get to street level.

You do want to hope you exit on the side with the escalator to street level or once again, you are lugging your luggage up another set of stairs.

I'm sure there are elevators somewhere in Penn Station but they are well hidden and you have to walk through mobs of people.

I read somewhere almost a million people a day go through either Penn Station. I believe it.

Sorry, I seem to be confused about 'Penn Stations", as I am not from the area hope you can help.

We are getting off the Cunard ship ( I think they all go to Red Hook). ?

What Amtrak Station do I get to-in order to go back to FL. the Newark or NYC ?

Sorry if I hijacked the thread for 1 question, but the NJ question reminded me to ask.

Thanks, MaryAnn

Sorry, I seem to be confused about 'Penn Stations", as I am not from the area hope you can help.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread for 1 question, but the NJ question reminded me to ask.

Thanks, MaryAnn

either, but since the silver service trains start at NEW YORK Penn station and it's cheaper to get from Brooklyn into Manhattan than into NJ...go to NY Penn Station!

Thanks, MaryAnn

Sorry, I threw everyone off on my tirade about the Airtrain.

There is Newark Penn Station which you do not want and New York Penn Station which you do want.

Safe travels!

take the a cab from Red Hook to Penn Station(Manhattan New York)...the cab should be in the $25.00-$30 range. or better yet call a local car service for the same amount. The car services that the cruise terminal has contracted with will charge exactly twice this amount. these are per car not per person....

Archived