Sky Lift Question

brendak28

We are going to be in St Thomas on May 26. They are forecasting rain (40%). We were wanting to book the excursion to take the sky lift thing to the top of the Mountain. Will we be able to see anything if it is cloudy or rainy, or should we not book it and then pay to do it when we get there if the weather permits.

Going to have a great time, no matter what the weather decides to do!! Caribbean rain is better than at home rain anytime!!

:cool:

The islands down there usually get a short rain most days. You can see the sky tram when you get off the ship. It's right across from the cruise dock. Personally, I would not book it through the cruise line because you would most likely be paying more for it than you would by just walking across the street and buying a ticket when you get there. That way if the weather's bad you haven't lost your money if you change your mind. The day we were there it had rained earlier so due to the high level of moisture in the air that morning the view was pretty foggy from mountain top. I was looking forward to trying to view again on our next trip, but just read that the bar, viewing area, shops up there just burned down! So sad...so you may just want to watch these boards to find out what's going on and if people are being allowed up there in the near future to view "anything." We also went to Coki Beach. It's a smaller beach, but very nice and the water was nice a calm to walk into...no really big crashing waves there. Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy whatever it is you decide to do there. St. Thomas is a great place to visit!!

The price on the skyride on their website is more than what RCCL has for it on their website (a few months ago, when I checked) ... one of the few times I've seen where the cruise ship is lower.

Perhaps they have changed now, I would look at both to see which one is the best way to go. Jan

The price on the skyride on their website is more than what RCCL has for it on their website (a few months ago, when I checked) ... one of the few times I've seen where the cruise ship is lower.

Perhaps they have changed now, I would look at both to see which one is the best way to go. Jan

It was several more $$ per person by walking to the counter yourself, then purchasing on the the ship. I could not believe the ship was actually cheaper, first time I have ever saw that.

It was several more $$ per person by walking to the counter yourself, then purchasing on the the ship. I could not believe the ship was actually cheaper, first time I have ever saw that.

Carnival is also $6 dollars per person cheaper than the Skyride counter.

We were on Carnival back in February and the kids rode the Skyride and it was cheaper to book from ship than from the walk up window at the ride, but the tickets was good for anytime during the day, so you could purchase a ticket and if it rained, just wait it out and go up after the rain has passed (assuming it is just a quick shower)

I don't think there is any need to book this --- the building at the top of the mountain had a fire and is closed --- I bet the sky ride is closed also

I think it is two separate locations - Mountaintop is what burned down and the tram ride is at Paradise Point. (but I could be wrong). Jan

I think it is two separate locations - Mountaintop is what burned down and the tram ride is at Paradise Point. (but I could be wrong). Jan

I never been, but I believe you're correct.

We were there in April - you are correct. Mountaintop had the tragic fire. The lift is a Paradise Point (can be easily seen from where our ship docked).

It was several more $$ per person by walking to the counter yourself, than purchasing on the the ship.

I could not believe the ship was actually cheaper, first time I have ever saw that.

Thanks for the tip!

-------------------------------------

Ship's tours are not always the lousy deal most people seem to think they are.

The few times I've done ship's tours, I've been happy with value received!

-------------------------------------

We missed this, last time

but I told my wife if ever we go back to St.Thomas, I'm doing it for sure.

Will book on the ship! Thanks.

Archived