Westerdam SB 8147 - aft corner suite questions

NAUdebo

Hi gang,

I just discovered our cabin assignment for the 5/31 Alaska cruise on Westerdam. As some of you might recall from an earlier thread I started, we took an upsell to SC guarantee. We were excited tonight to discover that we got SB 8147 - an aft corner suite with the wrap balcony!

I still have a couple questions after searching the forums thoroughly. I've heard about a retrofit that took place a year or two ago, but don't understand it. Exactly what was done, and how did this affect deck 8? If someone has before/after pics of the aft side, I'll love you forever. :p

I see that we're right below the Lido pool. Anyone have experience with the privacy/noise issues from this?

How important is the expanded two-side view when you're in Alaska? It seems like the best place to have this.

Anyone have specific size info on the balcony for this cabin, or pictures? How much smaller is the actual stateroom, compared to an SA on the side?

Since we had an SC GUAR, can they still upgrade us to an SA without our desire to do so, now that they assigned a room? My understanding is yes, they can - not that I would complain, as I knew this when taking a guarantee. Now that we've been assigned an SB, we can't be lowered to an SC, correct?

How long is the walk from our cabin to the Neptune? I read people's complaints, but we're in our 20's and in good shape. We don't mind a walk.

Let me take this chance to say how great this board is - you've all been so helpful to me, as a first-time HAL cruiser. I feel like I know everything about HAL you could possibly know without first hand experience, and it's all thanks to each of you. I'm looking forward to returning the favor when we get back with a thorough review of our experience, and pictures!

hi,

we were on the may 10 cruise.

getting on the ship at pier 91 was not a pleasant experience. long waits on 2 different lines. we arrived at about 1:45 pm. i guess the earlier the better.

food was plentiful, varied and well prepared - table service was excellent. we used "dine as you wish" and even with a full ship had no wait for a table.

best excursion we did was the helicopter ride and glacier walk on mendenhall glacier in juneau.

the day in glacier bay was spectacular. watching the glacier calve was an experience, accentuated by the sound of the ice cracking - like loud thunder.

entertainment was well done. except for sunday night's introductory show, the performances in the theatre were fun to watch. don't miss joel mason.

one performer you've got to see is a guy named ian cooney. he's up in the crow's nest playing guitar every night. if you like songs from the 60's, 70's, and 80's, you'll love listening to him - great voice, super personality. he's probably one of the best kept secrets on the ship. you won't regret going up there to listen to him. tell him A B sent you.

we used the signature express baggage service offered for disembarkation. our boarding passes were printed on the ship and delivered to our room, our bags were taken to the airport and we didn't see them again until we picked them up at baggage claim when we landed at home - great service!

have a great time. we did!

...a retrofit that took place a year or two ago, but don't understand it. Exactly what was done, and how did this affect deck 8?
Decks 6, 7, 8, and 9 were extended. The main change for the stern cabins on deck 8 is that the depth of balcony was reduced a few feet.
I see that we're right below the Lido pool. Anyone have experience with the privacy/noise issues from this?
I've never stayed in one, but I've read that some people are bothered by deck-cleaning noise early in the morning, and some have been annoyed by trash falling on the verandah. About half of the verandah can be seen from above.

Since we had an SC GUAR, can they still upgrade us to an SA without our desire to do so, now that they assigned a room? My understanding is yes, they can - not that I would complain, as I knew this when taking a guarantee. Now that we've been assigned an SB, we can't be lowered to an SC, correct?

I've never heard of a re-assignment that was lower.

How long is the walk from our cabin to the Neptune?

A little more than 1/2 the ship length, and down one deck.

Archived