Group Family Cruising

tupperwarebysue

Looking to plan a cruise for April 2010 - August 2010. Will have 2 yr, 4 yr, 12 and 14 children. Also have some thirty somethings, forty and fifty year olds. Want to book something that has active children's program and a fun atmosphere while remembering that all are on a strict budget. Any recommendations? TA or no TA?:eek:

I would do a TA--that way, you pick the date and ship, and everyone will contact the TA to book their own room, excursions....that takes YOU out of the equation. If something doesn't suit someone (and that WILL happen, trust me!) YOU won't be to blame, since they made their OWN arrangements!

Carnival and RCI are probably the most budget friendly, with activities for all ages.

Whatever you choose, let someone else take responsibilty for the arrangements!

We're going on a family cruise in January - ages 14 months through mid 50's - on the Freedom of the Seas (Royal Caribbean). It's not as budget friendly as Carnival and others, but there's something for everyone on this ship. All of us (except the baby - he's clueless!) are super excited. :D

As for a TA, I think that's personal preference. Personally, I like having control over my reservation; however, a TA may give you extra perks such as OBC or free wine. If you don't use a TA, then everyone can take responsibility for their own arrangements by calling RCCL on their own - RCCL will link your reservations so you can dine together (if that's what you want to do). I am acting as my family's "TA" and it's been super easy. We've had a price drop and I was able to call and get the reduced fare for each of us without a problem.

Good luck!!

We've done a family cruise the last 2 years. Ages from 4 all the way up to 86. We sailed the NCL Dawn and everyone had a blast! Don't forget to consider the embarkation port. If most of the family is within driving distance to a port, I would start there. All of us are located in MD so anywhere between Baltimore and NYC was an option. We chose NYC. There is nothing like sailing past Lady Liberty!

Whether or not you use a TA or do it on your own, you are creating a "Group Cruise" so you are entitled to group BENEFITS. Some cruise lines have group rates that are less than the regular rates. You wouldn't get these rates if you were just calling individually and "linking reservations"

Each cruise line has a groups department. So if you know you have so many cabins, make sure you get the benefits as a group.

The groups get something called "GAP points" - aka Group Ammenity Points. Pending on the size of your group and cruise line, you can get a free berth for so many booked. GAP points also include On Board Credits, botles of wine, chocolate covered strawberries, gifts delivered to the cabins, etc.

So either way, make sure you get what your group is entitled to, either on your own as the Group Leader or through a TA. :)

And I agree with 2 cruise, don't always go with the cheapest cruise. Make sure you factor in air plus cruise before you choose one. If your family is close to a port, then start at THAT port and look at the ships leaving from that one.

I also agree with Michelle, however I will add..that if you have never booked a group, I would highly recommend that you use a TA that is experienced with groups. It is not always easy, and you are the one responsible to collect payments, make sure they are credited correctly (which does not always happen with a group...you have to watch), handle all complaints, questions, final workup summary's and figuring how the cruiseline payment summaries work. With a TA you can have each individual contact the TA and they will handle everything. Some cruiselines are easier to work with than others when it comes to groups....Just let the TA know that you are the group leader and you can decide the amenities etc. Also, If you have flexibility on the dates, the TA and check for the sailings with the highest amenity points available...not all sailings have the same number of points, so with some flexibility , the TA and give you options and let you know what date is the best for the perks....Good Luck!

Thank you all for the replies. It gets confusing. For instance I got an e-mail notice of a cruise.con special for a sailing where the rate was $1039 per person yet when I check the line's site it is only 1029. Now I understand that I get wine and a lanyard for the 1039 and it is a group booking but does that really make a difference?

I started a group cruise for us last year, sailing this November. It started with my family of 4, then branched to include my sister and nephew, my dad, friends met on previous cruises...we're up to 40 people now, from all over our country and Europe.

I am a "planner"....love to plan. Here's how I did it...I picked the sailing I thought would be the best bet, based on ship, ports, time of year, etc. I booked it for myself, gave my friends & family my PVP's contact information (who knows where everyone is located, knows to link our dining times, etc.). I then planned what excursions *I* wanted to do, and let everyone know that they could join us and gave them the info on that (and inquired as to if we could get some group rates on the tours) and pointed them in the direction of carnival.com for ship sponsored excursions and the Ports boards here on CC for private tours. And booked our hotel, and gave them that information. I then started a yahoo group online and a database with everyone who's coming and their plans.

Other than coming up with a few group tshirt designs that I'm going to be handling the ordering/shipping of, and shooting out emails when I notice a price drop...that's the extent of it. I am more than willing to help out, but I'm not spending all of my time worrying about everyone else's plans.

Great point, Michele! BTW, do you know the minimum number of people to create a group on RCCL? I'm fairly certain that we don't meet the number... I need to call though. :)

Yep, a group on RCCL is 8 cabins - minimum 16 passengers.

tupperwarebysue - it's tough to determine why one TA price would be more than the web site price. It could be that the TA price includes tips. It could be that they have a booking fee. It could be that the price on the TA site included taxes and port fees, and it didn't on the cruise line's site. And some TAs have cancellation fees, you need to check that. You just never know unless you call and ask.

MamaParrotHead - did your pvp treat this booking as a group? Or are they 40 individual bookings? I hate to say it, but you may have lost out on some lower rates and some benefits by not dealing with Carnival's groups department. :(

Yep, a group on RCCL is 8 cabins - minimum 16 passengers.

Why did I know that you would know this? ;) :D Thanks!!! We're not eligible, which I assumed since there are 12 of us going - not likely a "group" by most standards.

We are sailing the Dawn on 05/31 and we have 13 family members from 16 mos to 75 and everywhere in between. Anything special to know about getting on the ship--did it seem effcient or was there antyhing you wish you had known before hand. My daughter is 3 and has the patience of -- well a 3 year old. We live in CT so we are coming down to the pier in a 14 passenger shuttle.

We did a big group cruise on Carnival a few years ago and will be doing it again this new years ranging from 1yr to 70's. To qualify for group rates you must have 8 cabins. We either go through a travel agent or Carnival so that they can handle linking the reservations, payments etc. I think any of the family friendly lines will have something for everyone.....carnival, ncl rccl

• 4 months later...

Hi.. Doing a Family and Friends Cruise on Carnival Freedom, August 14, 2010. I went thru a TA. You need 8 cabins or more to be a group, but sometimes they let you slide with less. I know you get a free berth for every 8 cabins. This particular sailing from what I understand is not offering the GAP's. :(. This is my 5th Fmily and Friends cruise. I have done them on Carnival, Royal, Princess. Carnival is the best I think, especially if your groups ages range from the young to the old.

• 2 months later...

You guys are great!! I I knew that I could count on this site to help get answers!! :D As of right now we have a number around 21 family members for a future 2011 Oasis/Allure cruise and I knew that there had to be some sort of perks but was not sure what exactly they were. Let me get this right, I am considered teh "group organizor/leader" I will get a "berth" free? I have only been on two cruises but have to admit that I am unsure what a "berth" is is thia the same as 1 person in the cabin?? It was my understanding years ago before I stared lookin at cruises that the leader would get his rate waived for "X" number of cabins booked and the higher the number rised booked the next person in that cabin gets their rate waived...is this how it works??

A "berth" is technically one passenger, but you still have to pay the taxes and fees. This is obviously better than nothing, but it's also contingent upon how many cabins are actually full (within your group) and the average cabin category. So if your group books 10 insides, 7 oceanviews, 3 balconies (and one of the balconies is yours), you get the one "berth" of what the most people in your party booked (in that case, would be insides). Plus figuring in price drops and average fares paid by the people in your group...I think my "berth" was a whole $250 or so (that's with the majority of us booking oceanviews). Yes, better than a stick in the eye...but you need to investigate the fine print.

Hope that helps.

@ MamaParrotHead-yes that information was/is very helpful. One of the advantages of booking so far out and for the date is that the rate seems to be the lowest of all the other sailing of the same itenterary which gives aevery one a chance to get an ocean view or balcony. With the exception of my grandparents all other cabins will either be 3 or more or parents with smaller children so getting larger cabins at least with a view will be a plus!well I know my cabin will be a balcony :p

Archived