Champagne - to pop or not to pop?

Hi Friday....I thought as a fellow Brit that I'd put my 2 penny's worth in :)

Your bubbly will be fine in your checked luggage...wrap it up well , even think of wrapping it a beach towel etc, then into a poly bag of sorts....BTW you and can get the food bags in all the supermarkets or Ikea do really good ones. but I'm not sure I've ever seen any big enough to put a bottle of bubbly in.

As for taking it in your hand luggage....DONT ....you will lose it at LHR due to the liquid restrictions. :(

When you get to your cabin, ask for a bucket of ice and chuck the bottle in. and it should be fine.

Lastly and most important...have a fantastic cruise...just be aware that not only will you have a love of good bubbly...but you will find a new love..............called cruising !!!!

Have a great time.

Sandra aka happycruzer

I am almost exclusively a champagne drinker, and have never encountered a problem with transporting the bottles in my checked luggage. The glass of the bottle is almost twice as thick as a regular bottle of wine, and the wire around the cork is wrapped 7 1/2 times, to withstand about 750 pounds of pressure inside the bottle.

As far as packing the bottles for airplane flight, I wrap each one in bubble wrap and then put in a large ziplock bag with underwear or nightgowns, just to give some padding.

When I am ready to uncork, I hold on to the cork and twist the bottle - the one time I didn't I dented the ceiling! I also put a champagne glass next to the bottle and get ready to "catch" any that is frothing over - sometimes a result of the indignity of plane travel!!!

Enjoy!

Orchestra

Aren't CCers great - always so knowledgable & willing to help out a fellow CCer - take a bow please! :)

Not trying to be a 'spoil sport' but must tell u of our only 'bad' experiences with airplanes & booze!

Only had problems twice - once returning to Canada from Mexico w/ a couple of bottles of Kaluha - one of which forced me to buy a new suitcase - Was encased in cardboard booze box, bubblewrapped, etc..but must have been defective glass - Loved the resulting odor in my clothes although not the staining..

The other time relates more to your question - a bottle of champ. & a bottle of red & guess which one we lost - right - the champ..!!

Bottles wrapped to a fare-thee-well!!

The cork popped right after getting our luggage and it sounded like a muffled gunshot - folks must have reported it 'cause the airport security came running - such fun sort of :) but we lost our bottle of Moet & Chandron :(

The muffled 'giggles' from the staff was infectious and we all ended up having a good laugh.. Almost made up for the loss of the Champ!! :)

Was tempted onboard to wring out the clothing to get even a few drops but I did resist :)

We have transported booze dozens of times with no problems, so the odds are in your favour..

Have a great cruise & please raise a glass to us all still on dry land!! :)

Hi All!

Thought this was good place/thread to ask this:

Do they care "where" you drink the champagne you bring? Aside from in your cabin [we've got an inside] or at dinner...with the corkage fee...

Can you open your bottle on the Promenade to enjoy it for sailaway?

HLR

Hi All!

Thought this was good place/thread to ask this:

Do they care "where" you drink the champagne you bring? Aside from in your cabin [we've got an inside] or at dinner...with the corkage fee...

Can you open your bottle on the Promenade to enjoy it for sailaway?

HLR

No, they don't care (well, if you had a glass bottle and glass glasses in the pool, someone might cavil). You can pop that cork and drink your champers on the Promenade Deck undisturbed except by the jealous looks of other cruisers wishing they had thought of doing the same thing. Sante!

Yes I live in Shrewsbury, will spend Saturday at Wembley

Hi reded,

Great to meet a fellow Salopian on here! Actually I'm not a Shrewsbury fan (I support Watford), but wish the Shrews all the best on Saturday. My DH will be going down to Wembley, though, but not necessarily to watch the game. He is a coach driver (Longmynd) and will be one of many transporting the masses down there.... Good luck :)

Everyone

Once again, some fantastic advice on here! Although some people have had some unfortunate accidents, most of your postings have helped to soothe my concerns about breakages, unwelcome poppings etc :D It looks like I will be pretty unlucky to have any spillages as long as I wrap the bottles up well and hope for the best :)

Thanks to you all

We tend to buy duty-free booze at the airport, and when we get to our destination, and before boarding (we have flown the day before the cruise) we have put it in our main cases, as Princess have a rule about not taking spirits on board. I don't think they are really strict, but we didn't want to risk our hand luggage being checked. It's OK for wine and champagne, but not for spirits.

Our problem was that when we were going home we had half a bottle of whisky left. We had bought it in the plastic bottle, but we were worried about the fact that the seal was, of course, broken. That's when the famous duct tape came in handy - we wrapped it round the top of the bottle several times, then wrapped the bottle in bubble-wrap and put it in a plastic bag , and then in our cases. We have done this twice, with no ill-effect.

Oh the joys of cruising!

I am not an expert but it would be a disaster if the bottles popped in the suitcases. And what about the temperature in the hold?

I would try the duty free at the airport or personally I like a bottle of Prossecco.:D There will be plenty of that in Rome I should imagine.

I have taken Bacardi in my case but put it in small plastic bottles, well rapped and inside our trainers.

They ship animals in there so I think the temperature and environment in general should not be an issue. Proper padding is what always concerns me, but I have had good luck with wine bottles wrapped in t-shirts.

Hi reded,

Great to meet a fellow Salopian on here! Actually I'm not a Shrewsbury fan (I support Watford), but wish the Shrews all the best on Saturday. My DH will be going down to Wembley, though, but not necessarily to watch the game. He is a coach driver (Longmynd) and will be one of many transporting the masses down there.... Good luck :)

Hi Friday,

Hopefully your DH will have a safe journey it will be a long day hope he has a lot of celebrating fans on the way back. Do you live in the Town? We live near the hospital.

Ed

Hi Friday,

Hopefully your DH will have a safe journey it will be a long day hope he has a lot of celebrating fans on the way back. Do you live in the Town? We live near the hospital.

Ed

Hi Ed,

DH is used to long days and traffic jams and everything else! It is unusual for him to be in the country at this time of year, as he's normally trekking round Europe somewhere!

We live out in the country, half way between Shrewsbury & Oswestry, about a mile off the A5.

I'm sure this conversation must be v. boring for everyone else, but Shrewsbury is not a big place and its great to meet someone else on this thread who lives really close by :D

Hi Ed,

DH is used to long days and traffic jams and everything else! It is unusual for him to be in the country at this time of year, as he's normally trekking round Europe somewhere!

We live out in the country, half way between Shrewsbury & Oswestry, about a mile off the A5.

I'm sure this conversation must be v. boring for everyone else, but Shrewsbury is not a big place and its great to meet someone else on this thread who lives really close by :D

Just to make it more interesting for the others reading this thread you must live close to the Knockin Shop

Just to make it more interesting for the others reading this thread you must live close to the Knockin Shop

I do!! I live about 3 or 4 miles away :D Quite often see tourists outside taking photos!! They do sometimes get in the way when all I want to do is go in and buy my lottery tickets :rolleyes:

Also, close to the bankrupt millionaire who shot his wife, daughter, horses, dogs etc and then burnt down his mansion, although that is not a particularly nice topic to talk about on these boards.

I do!! I live about 3 or 4 miles away :D Quite often see tourists outside taking photos!! They do sometimes get in the way when all I want to do is go in and buy my lottery tickets :rolleyes:

Also, close to the bankrupt millionaire who shot his wife, daughter, horses, dogs etc and then burnt down his mansion, although that is not a particularly nice topic to talk about on these boards.

Used to go past there very often on my way to Llanymynech Golf course the only course where you drive in Wales and putt in England. Better stop boring these poor people who'll never cruise by Shrewsbury.

Archived