Champagne - to pop or not to pop?

Hi again everyone,

Whilst I was pondering the thought about lost luggage (in a thread that I have just posted), I was also wondering about another thought that's kinda related. :confused:

I am planning to take 2 bottles of champagne with me, in line with Princess allowances. I will pack these in my checked luggage - one in my case and one in DH's. I will wrap them in bubble wrap and ensure that they are tightly squeezed amongst other items in the case to minimise the risk of them getting broken.

But then I was thinking, and this is probably really dumb, but I am going to ask anyway....

When the cases get jiggled about by all the airport handlers, is there any chance do you think that the pressure will build up in the bottles and then burst out? I know they have their little metal "hats" on the top, but is this enough to stop any unwanted spillages? And when they are on the plane itself, does the pressurisation cause this to happen?

I'm probably being really stupid here, but just wanted to know if anyone has had any bad experiences of putting wine and/or champagne in their cases and how little accidents can be prevented.

I had one bad experience years ago (on a land based holiday) when I was lugging my case around the Paris Metro (subway) and had a bottle of red wine in it. Yep, you've guessed it, when I opened the case, all my whites were a lovely shade of pink :eek:

I agree..just buy the bubbly when you arrive...and while your at it get 2 bottles for each of you....:D

We even did this when cruising from San Diego after a short flight from the San Fran area the same day as the cruise....I found a supermarket that was close to the cruise port on a google search before leaving and grabbed a cab from the airport and told him we needed to make a short stop on the way to the ship.....ran inside quickly and bought the wine and it probably only added 2 or 3 dollars to the overall taxi fare...

Hi

Thanks for the advice, but I like a praticular brand (Laurent-Perrier) and they may not have it where I embark, and I've got a few bottles sitting there on my wine rack.

I know that sounds really picky, but we all have our little foibles in life ;)

Hi

Thanks for the advice, but I like a praticular brand (Laurent-Perrier) and they may not have it where I embark, and I've got a few bottles sitting there on my wine rack.

I know that sounds really picky, but we all have our little foibles in life ;)

Yes we all do! Fortunately I can drink and enjoy almost any ole swill! :eek:

That said I think I would wrap it in bubble wrap and take it on in my carry on luggage...

Hi

Again, a great thought, but if I take it on carry-on, I don't think I will be able to get it on the airplane at Heathrow? Is the ban on liquids still in place, or has that been rescinded now :confused:

Perhaps I could get some at the duty-free at Heathrow, but again they might not have my fave brand, and I really want everything on this, my first cruise, to be special... (even though I know there will probably be one or two things that may not be perfect, and I will have to have a glass half full of lemonade instead of one half empty of lemons ;))(or am I mixing up my metaphors here?)

Perhaps I am being too picky and should just consider any brand, sounds like it will be a lot easier.

Thanks for the advice!

Hi Friday

My husband is a major wine collector and drinker. He says nothing will happen in your suitcase. However, he did say you better let it settle down for 24 hours after you arrive before you open it. The reaction happens when air hits the champagne.

(I would still pack the champagne in the bubble wrap and then in a ziploc bag or two.)

Enjoy!

if you are leaving from Ft. Lauderdale, I believe your preferred Champagne is available at Total Wine and More. I would suggest you contact the store and see if you can get it there. With luggage restrictions, weight fees and such it might be work out better for you?

Just a thought?

VB1

Hi Friday

My husband is a major wine collector and drinker. He says nothing will happen in your suitcase. However, he did say you better let it settle down for 24 hours after you arrive before you open it. The reaction happens when air hits the champagne.

(I would still pack the champagne in the bubble wrap and then in a ziploc bag or two.)

Enjoy!

Thanks, Karen! That has really put my mind at rest. Will put in the fridge after unpacking and just have to wait 24 hours. Not a problem :)

PS. What is a ziploc bag? Don't know if we have those over here, or if we just call them something else, or if I am just being think again ;)

if you are leaving from Ft. Lauderdale, I believe your preferred Champagne is available at Total Wine and More. I would suggest you contact the store and see if you can get it there. With luggage restrictions, weight fees and such it might be work out better for you?

Just a thought?

VB1

Thanks, venus.

I am flying from Heathrow to Rome, so unfortunately not going anywhere near US shores. Thanks for the thought, though.

Once upon a time, fine Champagne could be found on many passenger aircraft. The key to successful transport is to wrap it well, perhaps adding in a thin cardboard layer. The secret upon arrival is to ensure the bottle is very cold before opening. I'm partial to ice water baths.

Thanks, Karen! That has really put my mind at rest. Will put in the fridge after unpacking and just have to wait 24 hours. Not a problem :)

PS. What is a ziploc bag? Don't know if we have those over here, or if we just call them something else, or if I am just being think again ;)

I'm sure you have the equivalent of ziploc bags. They are plastic bags in various sizes that seal at the top by putting the two sides together and pressing along the top edge. They are then airtight.

There could be a problem with the red wine but not the champagne. Also, it is impossible to let the champagne "settle down for 24 hours after you arrive before you open it" on a ship.

Hi Kevin,

I suppose the "settling" part is all relative.... It should be more settled in the fridge as compared to being lugged around by me and airport / cruiseline baggage handlers

I was planning on getting a couple of bottles of red somewhere before embarkation and take on as carry-on. Although I enjoy a decent bottle of red, I'm not picky with it like I am with my fizz!

So, I know this means I will have 4 bottles in total rather than 2, which is another reason why I wanted the champers in the checked in luggage. See, you lot have turned me in to a smuggler already with all your helpful tips before I have even cruised :eek:

One more thought....just to cover all bases:rolleyes:

Are you staying in a hotel in Rome prior to embarkation? maybe you could ship your wine to the hotel? I happen to know that Fedex is an excellent carrier.

I'm sure you have the equivalent of ziploc bags. They are plastic bags in various sizes that seal at the top by putting the two sides together and pressing along the top edge. They are then airtight.

Of course! I'm sure we must have them over here, its just not something that I've ever bought before :) Another item to add to my ever-growing list of essentials to buy :D Don't know how I'll fit everything in the suitcase, though, with all that champagne in there :cool:

One more thought....just to cover all bases:rolleyes:

Are you staying in a hotel in Rome prior to embarkation? maybe you could ship your wine to the hotel? I happen to know that Fedex is an excellent carrier.

Thanks for the thought, OneStar.

No, as a newbie, I didn't realise at the time of booking the cruise that this was the best option, so we are flying cruiseair on the day :o After reading various threads on here, I did call Princess to see if I could do this, but they told me that there was no availability left :(

Of course! I'm sure we must have them over here, its just not something that I've ever bought before :) Another item to add to my ever-growing list of essentials to buy :D Don't know how I'll fit everything in the suitcase, though, with all that champagne in there :cool:

The champagne is the important part - I agree !! ;)

The bags weigh nothing and take up no room. I always pack medications in them and take spare ones for wet bathing suits or anything else I want to separate. Think large sandwich bags. Oh I also take sandwich bags to keep snacks fresh. (Or to take chips, etc. from the ship on excursions.) (I know it always says you can't take food off the ship but I really think they mean produce and meat. I can't believe anyone would bother to train a dog to sniff out potato chips. ;) :eek: )

The champagne is the important part - I agree !! ;)

The bags weigh nothing and take up no room. I always pack medications in them and take spare ones for wet bathing suits or anything else I want to separate. Think large sandwich bags. Oh I also take sandwich bags to keep snacks fresh. (Or to take chips, etc. from the ship on excursions.) (I know it always says you can't take food off the ship but I really think they mean produce and meat. I can't believe anyone would bother to train a dog to sniff out potato chips. ;) :eek: )

Thanks, Karen. I can relate to sandwich bags :D will definitely source these out (the ziplocs, not sandwich bags)

Thanks to all of you for your input, it is now 2.20am here in the UK, and I am supposed to be getting up in a few short hours to go to work - this site is SOOOO addictive ;) So I'm off to bed now but if anyone else posts, I will read them tomorrow (or rather, later on today :))

Hi

Again, a great thought, but if I take it on carry-on, I don't think I will be able to get it on the airplane at Heathrow? Is the ban on liquids still in place, or has that been rescinded now :confused:

No, the 100ml rule is still in place at UK Airports - there is no chance of getting this on board unless you buy at airport after security

No, the 100ml rule is still in place at UK Airports - there is no chance of getting this on board unless you buy at airport after security

Thanks for answering this question, seb. This confirms what I thought. So think I will stick with the 2 bottles of fizz in my DH's and my checked luggage and buy the red wine which I will take as carry on either at the port or after I have cleared airport security

Hi

Perhaps I could get some at the duty-free at Heathrow, but again they might not have my fave brand, and I really want everything on this, my first cruise, to be special... (even though I know there will probably be one or two things that may not be perfect, and I will have to have a glass half full of lemonade instead of one half empty of lemons ;))(or am I mixing up my metaphors here?)

I'm pretty sure they had your favourite bubbly in Terminal 5 when we went through in March. You could always ask your local wine merchant Tanners the best way to carry the lovely stuff.

I'm pretty sure they had your favourite bubbly in Terminal 5 when we went through in March. You could always ask your local wine merchant Tanners the best way to carry the lovely stuff.

Hi Reded,

Thanks for the info. Are you from Shropshire? How did you know about Tanners :confused:

I am not an expert but it would be a disaster if the bottles popped in the suitcases. And what about the temperature in the hold?

I would try the duty free at the airport or personally I like a bottle of Prossecco.:D There will be plenty of that in Rome I should imagine.

I have taken Bacardi in my case but put it in small plastic bottles, well rapped and inside our trainers.

Archived