Courtyard Mariott Downtown Question

JBert

Sine I have a car and am only really going to have 1 full day (2 nights) I am wondering that I should just go for downtown....better price bigger room and just drive over to SB for the day...I mean if I stayed at Marriott Key Biscayne it's half the price....might make more sense....right now Marriott SB wants $459 Ocean verse $229 port view at MKB....and it's only like a 2 minute drive over the causeway.

That's a huge difference. When are your travelling? I'm certainly not paying that rate in 30 days? How about going to north a couple miles to the Edec Roc (another Marriott property we adore). Its at 40th and Collins, right on the ocean. I know they are having grand re-opening introductory rates.

When ever a hotel doesn't have 2 doubles, I just take the king and get a roll a way bed. We sleep 3 in the King on one in the cot. DH and I have a queen at home so we don't even notice a little monkey in bed with us. :D

Marriott SoBe isn't really in the action. Its all the way on 1st and Ocean, action doesnt even begin to start until 7th ish. The Marriott is in basically a residential neighborhood. Its by no means "dead" over there, but it is quiet. There is a public part right next to the property with a nice playground for the kids. Make sure to go to Pinky's (I think that's the name of it) about a block west for b-fast or lunch. Its pure South Beach, all locals. We love it there.

One year (without kids), DH and I stayed at the Colony and we were going to blow our brains out. :eek:

The real action doesn't start in South Beach until after midnight. Some clubs don't open until 6AM. I would think being next door to Nikki Beach is quite active.

baja, did you take a look at The Loews? It would be perfect for your family and you cannot beat the oceanfront location.

The Marriot is South of Fifth (some refer to SoFi but that makes me cringe) and it isn't in a quiet location by any means it just isn't as busy as north of Fifth and Ocean Drive.

Yes, it is completely worth staying in South Beach over downtown.

RE; the room deal, most South Beach hotels were built in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s and the rooms are small. While the hotels have been renovated, most have not reconfigured the room size. That means a double/double which is a standard room in most hotels is an upgrade in South Beach.

The only hotels I can think of are The Victor and The Ritz Carlton and they were 200+ million dollar refits.

Another option would be the W Hotel South Beach. They leveled the old Holiday Inn and built from the ground up.

If you go with an older hotel, such as The Marriott, make sure the windows have been replaced with soundproof windows.

Most hotels do have soundproof windows.

That's a huge difference. When are your travelling? I'm certainly not paying that rate in 30 days? How about going to north a couple miles to the Edec Roc (another Marriott property we adore). Its at 40th and Collins, right on the ocean. I know they are having grand re-opening introductory rates.

When ever a hotel doesn't have 2 doubles, I just take the king and get a roll a way bed. We sleep 3 in the King on one in the cot. DH and I have a queen at home so we don't even notice a little monkey in bed with us. :D

LOLOL....oh I know all about having an extra in the bed with you....think it's goes hand in hand with having kids...lol. Oh we are not traveling for some time....this is for a cruse for next year...Easter week...so yes while it's a CRAZY week it's a long way off and lot's will change by then....a lot of hotels aren't even booking that far out. In all honesty since i live in Tampa FL I can go over to the beach anytime....so really I am not all that concerned about the beach front...in reality I doubt we probably would spend much time on the beach....really want to go more for the cafes, atmosphere, shopping and people watching....you know....the strip thing...so unless I can find some spring break specials next year right in South Beach I think I will stick downtown and use my car or just jump a taxi to do the SB thing.

The real action doesn't start in South Beach until after midnight. Some clubs don't open until 6AM.

baja, did you take a look at The Loews? It would be perfect for your family and you cannot beat the oceanfront location.

The Marriot is South of Fifth (some refer to SoFi but that makes me cringe) and it isn't in a quiet location by any means it just isn't as busy as north of Fifth and Ocean Drive.

RE; the room deal, most South Beach hotels were built in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s and the rooms are small. While the hotels have been renovated, most have not reconfigured the room size. That means a double/double which is a standard room in most hotels is an upgrade in South Beach.

The only hotels I can think of are The Victor and The Ritz Carlton and they were 200+ million dollar refits.

Another option would be the W Hotel South Beach. They leveled the old Holiday Inn and built from the ground up.

If you go with an older hotel, such as The Marriott, make sure the windows have been replaced with soundproof windows.

Trust me i am by no means a budget type person....but have you looked at the rates:eek:I punched the dates in and I think the cheapest was close to a grand a night and WAY up from there.

BlueHerons....I agree that Loews looks like a very strong possibility....looked at that earlier....only thing I don't like about booking that hotel this far out is they require a full nights deposit, not just a CC to hold like Marriott.

The real action doesn't start in South Beach until after midnight. Some clubs don't open until 6AM. I would think being next door to Nikki Beach is quite active.

I just want to clarify that I'm not a dork...When I said the action doesn't start until 7th ish....I meant the action doesn't start until 7th Avenue....NOT 7:00 p :D :D I know the action doesn't start until well after that.

Our friend owns the Crobar on Washington - we went there VIP at 10p one night, the Host laughed at us...the place was DEAD. Our friend called us the next day (from Chicago), he had heard what happened and he said not to ever come that early again or we're not invited to return .

We haven't been back since because we just can't stay up that late. ......carry on

I just want to clarify that I'm not a dork...When I said the action doesn't start until 7th ish....I meant the action doesn't start until 7th Avenue....NOT 7:00 p :D :D I know the action doesn't start until well after that.

Our friend owns the Crobar on Washington - we went there VIP at 10p one night, the Host laughed at us...the place was DEAD. Our friend called us the next day (from Chicago), he had heard what happened and he said not to ever come that early again or we're not invited to return .

We haven't been back since because we just can't stay up that late. ......carry on

yep...that goes along with having young ones also:rolleyes:...lol

LOL!! Gotcha! Last time my husband and I tried to stay up late and go out we ended up falling asleep!!

When are they re-opening the Crobar? Or did it reopen already?

Our good friend owns The Forge.

I just made the switch, for $15 more than what the Bayside location was, but 20 less than the SE 2nd Ave location. Thanks for the help!

I think you are going to really enjoy Coconut Grove! In addition to being a short walk from Monty's (by all means go there and enjoy the view!), you are also a stone's throw from CocoWalk.

Archived