Courtyard Mariott Downtown Question

JBert

Hey Gang-

My wife and I have a reservation for the Courtyard Marriott Downtown on SE Second Ave next Friday.

Just for giggles, I went and looked at it on Google Maps. I thought I read that you can see the ships if you request the correct rooms (which we did, bay view balcony high floor).

Looking at its location on the map, it seems like it would be hard to see the port from our room. Can this be confirmed?

I stayed there twice, when it was the Holiday Inn-Downtown. There is no way you can see the ships. You may be able to get a glimpse of water, ie Biscayne Bay, but no cruise ships. It's across the street from the Hyatt Regency. The Courtyard has been totally renovated since it changed hands. Holiday Inn has since opened the HI-Port of Miami.

From my personal observations, the hotels with cruise ship views are, Intercontinental, Continental(probably-not recommended), HI-POM(upper floors-bayview), Marriott-Biscayne Bay, Hilton-Downtown/Biscayne Bay and Doubletree-Biscayne Bay. With all these hotels, you must request bayview, which is a premium.

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency last month and were on the 18th floor, no view.

Let me just add, the attraction to downtown is the proximity to the port($10 cab ride). Bayside is OK, but some here have noticed a downturn in the atmosphere. I always like staying downtown for the convenience of Bayside and the Amex travel office on Biscayne. It's a breeze to pick up travelers checks.

We're thinking about staying on the beach in August, just for a change.

Let me just add, the attraction to downtown is the proximity to the port($10 cab ride). Bayside is OK, but some here have noticed a downturn in the atmosphere. I always like staying downtown for the convenience of Bayside and the Amex travel office on Biscayne. It's a breeze to pick up travelers checks.

We're thinking about staying on the beach in August, just for a change.

The mall company that owns Bayside is currently in bankruptcy re-organizing their debt. You'll notice a that Bayside is not being taken care of as well as it has been in the past. Hopefully that will change in the past.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/sfl-general-growth-bankrupt-041609,0,7919740.story

Blue,

The mayor of Miami should hire you for the Miami visitor center. You've got all the 411.:)

We noticed Bayside was very quiet for a Saturday night the last time we were there. It was the day before Easter. What I did notice was the lack of those annoying Marriott/Hilton/Hyatt time share guys stalking you through the mall. I guess that could be considered an improvement.LOL:cool:

Thanks for the info guys! I just switched my reservation over th Biscayne Bay, for less $. Works for me!

Here's a better idea. Why not switch to the Residence Inn Coconut Grove? You are a stone's throw from Monty's Seafood and you can sit out on the water and eat fresh seafood and gawk at how pretty Biscayne Bay is.

After you are done you can stroll over to CocoWalk for some evening entertainment?

I promise you will be much happier than downtown.

Here's a better idea. Why not switch to the Residence Inn Coconut Grove? You are a stone's throw from Monty's Seafood and you can sit out on the water and eat fresh seafood and gawk at how pretty Biscayne Bay is.

After you are done you can stroll over to CocoWalk for some evening entertainment?

I promise you will be much happier than downtown.

I'm currently booked at the Courtyard Downtown. I just checked on the web-site and the RI Cocnut Grove is available for points on the night I need. Should I switch over too? We are travelling with our kids 7 and 8 yo. My daughter just loves a Residence Inn breakfast buffet :D. Thing is...we don't land until 9:30ish p.m. How much further are we talking?

I'm currently booked at the Courtyard Downtown. I just checked on the web-site and the RI Cocnut Grove is available for points on the night I need. Should I switch over too? We are travelling with our kids 7 and 8 yo. My daughter just loves a Residence Inn breakfast buffet :D. Thing is...we don't land until 9:30ish p.m. How much further are we talking?

Personally, I would much rather stay in Coconut Grove than stay downtown. If your flight lands on a Friday or Saturday night, you'll have some options open at CocoWalk. Montys is probably also open pretty late.

Personally, I would much rather stay in Coconut Grove than stay downtown. If your flight lands on a Friday or Saturday night, you'll have some options open at CocoWalk. Montys is probably also open pretty late.

Is Monty's on Alton Road "related" to the one on Bayshore? I can't find a web-site for Bayshore, just reviews.

We are staying 4 nights after our cruise in SoBe and we are totally going to Monty's in Coconut Grove for late lunch.

Still haven't decided if I should switch lodging. I agree with you about staying in Coconut Grove vs. Downtown, but travelling that late with the kiddos, we just might want to get to our hotel . We can have the cab driver stop if we need some food. But when I travel, being Italian, we're NEVER without food. :D

Is Monty's on Alton Road "related" to the one on Bayshore? I can't find a web-site for Bayshore, just reviews.

We are staying 4 nights after our cruise in SoBe and we are totally going to Monty's in Coconut Grove for late lunch.

Still haven't decided if I should switch lodging. I agree with you about staying in Coconut Grove vs. Downtown, but travelling that late with the kiddos, we just might want to get to our hotel . We can have the cab driver stop if we need some food. But when I travel, being Italian, we're NEVER without food. :D

Yes, the Monty's in South Beach is owned by the same people that own the one directly across Biscayne Bay in Coconut Grove.

Don't have too many cocktails and fall into the pool at Montys.

Well, I'm going to change for the last time!

I have to admit, after making the mistake of staying at the Continental last year, I want to get this right on this trip. Even the area around Bayside was sketchy at night.

If you say Coconut Grove is nicer, then we'll give it a try!

Doing some early searching for April 2010 for 2 nights pre-cruise. I live in Tampa so will be driving and have a car. Not sure where I should go...downtown, Coconut Grove, South Beach....it's my wife and I and 2 kids..11 and 14. Want something nice....was looking at Marriott Biscayne Bay which is $229/night for Port/Bay view...but saw you mention Residence.... looks to be more money but they do have 2 bedrooms also. Want to check out South Beach while I am there but not sure if it's worth the almost $500/night to stay there. What is around Coconut Grove? Is it nice enough to justify $350 for a 2 bedroom?

Doing some early searching for April 2010 for 2 nights pre-cruise. I live in Tampa so will be driving and have a car. Not sure where I should go...downtown, Coconut Grove, South Beach....it's my wife and I and 2 kids..11 and 14. Want something nice....was looking at Marriott Biscayne Bay which is $229/night for Port/Bay view...but saw you mention Residence.... looks to be more money but they do have 2 bedrooms also. Want to check out South Beach while I am there but not sure if it's worth the almost $500/night to stay there. What is around Coconut Grove? Is it nice enough to justify $350 for a 2 bedroom?

Wow that is expensive! Are your dates over Easter Break? I always prefer staying on the beach to staying inland.

Reasonable hotels in South Beach:

Doubletree Surfcomber (oceanfront)

South Seas (oceanfront)

Marseilles (oceanfront)

Cordoza Hotel (OD)

Courtyard by Marriott South Beach (NOT Miami Beach)

Those are a few that come to mind.

Wow that is expensive! Are your dates over Easter Break? I always prefer staying on the beach to staying inland.

Reasonable hotels in South Beach:

Doubletree Surfcomber (oceanfront)

South Seas (oceanfront)

Marseilles (oceanfront)

Cordoza Hotel (OD)

Courtyard by Marriott South Beach (NOT Miami Beach)

Those are a few that come to mind.

Yep...Easter weekend:rolleyes:I was looking at The Courtyard SouthBeach....also Marriott SoutBeach....thoughts between the 2?

If that is the Courtyard you are talking about...the price is right but the reviews on TripAdvisor are less than great....strip club across the street and another club next door....don't know if it's a great choice with kids:confused:

What a shame about Bayside...we went there on our first cruise in 1990 when the Hotel Intercontinental was offered for $90 a night (yes, two of us) through Carnival. What a deal. It's the nicest hotel we've ever stayed at.

We have always enjoyed Bayside but my DH loves staying on SB which I would agree if you are going to Miami, I am assuredly not going to stay near the airport...just my two cents.

We have noticed Bayside going downhill a bit over the years but chalked it up to us knowing it so well.

Interesting about Coconut Grove. We were there once in 1990 but have never been back. I have seen some nice hotels being advertised for much better prices than SB especially during high season. Didn't know exactly what was there though?

Yep...Easter weekend:rolleyes:I was looking at The Courtyard SouthBeach....also Marriott SoutBeach....thoughts between the 2?

No comparison, the Marriott South Beach is definitely much nicer. It is right on the beach on Ocean Drive.

As far as the CyM SB being across the beach from a strip club, South Beach is definitely for adults.

The beaches are topless and you will see a lot of that and thongs are quite common.

My kids grew up on European beaches so it was no biggie to them to see topless women on the beach and men in small bikini bottoms but to you and your family it may be a problem. It is all in what you are comfortable with.

If that is a problem, what about staying elsewhere like Key Biscayne? I don't know the ages of your kids but the Ritz Carlton has excellent kids programs.

Never stayed at the Courtyard SoBe, but have stayed at the Courtyard Miami, Oceanfront. 39th and Collins (on the ocean)...its decent - nothing great, nothing horrible.

We've also stayed for a week at the Marriott SoBe (last summer) and LOVED IT!!!! We are staying there for 4 nights after our cruise next month. Our kids are 7 and 8 and have been to SoBe about 3 or 4 times. My sons seen the topless bit and was unimpressed with it. It seemed like the none of the women he wanted to be topless were. :D

No comparison, the Marriott South Beach is definitely much nicer. It is right on the beach on Ocean Drive.

As far as the CyM SB being across the beach from a strip club, South Beach is definitely for adults.

The beaches are topless and you will see a lot of that and thongs are quite common.

My kids grew up on European beaches so it was no biggie to them to see topless women on the beach and men in small bikini bottoms but to you and your family it may be a problem. It is all in what you are comfortable with.

If that is a problem, what about staying elsewhere like Key Biscayne? I don't know the ages of your kids but the Ritz Carlton has excellent kids programs.

No not really a problem....my kids have traveled Europe as well are very used to NYC as we used to live there....so they are pretty rounded in that department....although my youngest 10 was a little freaked(just for a second:p ) in St Martin with the topless(most who should never be) women went by....but then again I could bare to look at some of them also:eek:...lolol. I actually didn't know that South Beach was topless....I was there years ago but never made it to the beach:othought that wasn't allowed anywhere in Fl...oh well:rolleyes:In any case it's looking more and more like I may have to bite the bullet and for something more like the Marriott South Beach as I really want to be in the action...just far enough off that I am not hearing the music at night....a little past that stage...like my sleep if you know what I mean. It would also be nice to park and walk to all:)

Never stayed at the Courtyard SoBe, but have stayed at the Courtyard Miami, Oceanfront. 39th and Collins (on the ocean)...its decent - nothing great, nothing horrible.

We've also stayed for a week at the Marriott SoBe (last summer) and LOVED IT!!!! We are staying there for 4 nights after our cruise next month. Our kids are 7 and 8 and have been to SoBe about 3 or 4 times. My sons seen the topless bit and was unimpressed with it. It seemed like the none of the women he wanted to be topless were. :D

I'm quoting myself here because we were typing at the same time and your post popped up on page 2 and you may not have seen mine.

Marriott SoBe isn't really in the action. Its all the way on 1st and Ocean, action doesnt even begin to start until 7th ish. The Marriott is in basically a residential neighborhood. Its by no means "dead" over there, but it is quiet. There is a public part right next to the property with a nice playground for the kids. Make sure to go to Pinky's (I think that's the name of it) about a block west for b-fast or lunch. Its pure South Beach, all locals. We love it there.

One year (without kids), DH and I stayed at the Colony and we were going to blow our brains out. :eek:

I'm quoting myself here because we were typing at the same time and your post popped up on page 2 and you may not have seen mine.

Marriott SoBe isn't really in the action. Its all the way on 1st and Ocean, action doesnt even begin to start until 7th ish. The Marriott is in basically a residential neighborhood. Its by no means "dead" over there, but it is quiet. There is a public part right next to the property with a nice playground for the kids. Make sure to go to Pinky's (I think that's the name of it) about a block west for b-fast or lunch. Its pure South Beach, all locals. We love it there.

One year (without kids), DH and I stayed at the Colony and we were going to blow our brains out. :eek:

Thats what I like...far enough to be out of the crowds/noise at night but close enough to walk to for the restaurants and evening stroll/people watching. How are the rooms.....good enough for 4 or are we going to be on top of each other?

The rooms were a decent size. We too are 4 and I don't remember that serious of a problem with space.

The outdoor spaces are incredible. There's a great patio that faces the ocean and is about 6 feet above the pools where you can just watch the cruise ships come in an out with a drink from the bar. We spent a lot of time out there. The pools and the views are spectacular.

Take the photo tour on the Marriott web-site....the pix DON'T lie. Make sure to look at the outdoor terrace and dining area under the "restaurant" section.

I can't wait to be there again.

The rooms were a decent size. We too are 4 and I don't remember that serious of a problem with space.

The outdoor spaces are incredible. There's a great patio that faces the ocean and is about 6 feet above the pools where you can just watch the cruise ships come in an out with a drink from the bar. We spent a lot of time out there. The pools and the views are spectacular.

Take the photo tour on the Marriott web-site....the pix DON'T lie. Make sure to look at the outdoor terrace and dining area under the "restaurant" section.

I can't wait to be there again.

I was just reading through all the reviews on Trip Advisor and saw numerous posts about people who requested double beds but were told only kings were available on arrival....thats a bit worrisome....ever have an issue with that.

Archived