Destiny First Time July

Hi,

July 16th doing the Med Ren and Jewels of Med, first time cruising.

2 adults 2 kids 10 & 13

I have a few questions to ask, I'm sure the will be covered in previous threads but here goes - thanks in advance !

What are the onboard shops like ? Is it best to get duty free ( perfume ) onboard or better at the airports ?

The usual hotel holiday includes getting out early to grab a deckchair. Does this apply on the Destiny ? or will I get 4 deckchairs in a decent area without problem ?

We expect to eat quite a bit in the Lido restaurant with the kids but would also like to make use of the Seven Seas. Do you need to inform anyone if you wish to dine in the SS or can you turn up on the night at your sitting time ?

Any views on the best Rome excursions ?

Are Barcelona and Palma centres only s very short distance from the port ?

Is the beach at Villefranche within walking distance from the port or taxi required ?

What ports of call are worth missing out with the kids and staying onboard ?

I know some of these questions may seem straight forward to a lot of people but I want to make the most of our time as possible.

I look forward to your kind replies to any of my queries.

Thanks

Carter Family

Hi to the Carters

We have been on the Destiny twice before and are going a third time for two weeks on 18 June and have visited most of the ports on your itinerary. To your questions –

The shops on board are fine, but as you would expect, there is often a small premium to pay for the pleasure of shopping “locally”. Advantage buying on board goes on your on-board bill payable in sterling (credit card) so no loss on exchange. Tip – do not rush to buy as over your two weeks there will probably be special discount days/nights when the prices may be lower.

Plenty of deckchairs - except on “at sea days” when there are never enough. On those days it seems we Brits are as bad as other vations for saving deckchairs.

You do not need to tell your waiter that you are not turning up. Courtesy though, if you can, it may save your table mates saying they will wait for you to arrive if they know you are not coming.

Rome wasn’t built in a day and you will probably not see it all in a day. There are three main tourist “traps” a) the Vatican City area, b) the “sights” such as the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps area and c) Ancient Rome, the colosseum etc.. Think which you would prefer and find the tour that concentrates on that one and probably visits another. You can go independent to Rome by train but because of the distance (and the chance of missing the boat if you get delayed) the organised trips can be considered safer so long as you can find the coach to get back.

Barcelona – until last year the boat stopped at the bottom of the Ramblas and it was very convenient to walk. Now it stops away from Barca and I do not know how far – perhaps somebody else can help. If the Carters are into football – do the nou camp stadium tour it beats the new Wembley, Emirates and Old Trafford hands down

Palma – The normal home port for the Destiny is just a couple of miles from say the cathedral and town centre – nice walk though, right along the “promenade” (but its not quite a promenade, but its by the sea). However, there are many buses go from the port to town for a few Euros. You will have the full day between cruises to enjoy Palma and it is a beautiful city.

Villefrance – Yes the beaches (shingle) are few minutes from where the tender stops. Again I do not know your likes but you can get the train from there to Monte Carlo a ten minute trip and walk some of the Grand Prix race track (see it this weekend to get a feel of the place)

All ports have something to offer, some more than others. If you are not intending to do anything special just get off the boat for a short walk around and the family can still enjoy the attractions of the boat in either the morning or afternoon.

Hope that helps, if we get any tips from our next trip where we do some of your ports we will let you know.

If not – BON VOYAGE and enjoy

Silver

• 1 month later...

Hi the Carter family,

My Wife, daughter & i are will be on the destiny the same as you,this is our 2nd thomson cruise the first was on the celebration 2007.

We was a bit apprehensive the first time taking our our teenaged daughter(16 at the time) she loved it and insisted on coming on the destiny,had to pay full adult price ouch!!!

Last time in Rome we did the 'rome in 1 day' tour a long day and lot of walking but with the guide to explain things (you are lent some receivers with ear phones so you can hear him above crowd noise) least this way you can learn the basic history of the sites.This time we do our own thing and have more leisurely walk round and see the sites we missed last time.

What we loved about the 1st cruise was the crew(philipinoes) they don't just serve you they entertain you and they work long hours and the shows are high standard.

well if we don't bump into you have a great 1st cruise the kids we love it.

The Eccleston family

hi i did rome 2 years ago with my partner. went of my own accord by train and underground. think it worked out around £35 for the two of us which is considerabally cheaper than the guided tours. did the usual tourist spots on the underground which if i remember only has 2 lines so not hard to use. if you do go by yourself the train journey takes about an hour so make sure you leave enough time to get back i.e at least 2 hours before sailing.

The fare to Rome Terminii station from Civitavecchia was 9 euros return last year and includes the metro ...it is really easy to do if you do some research!! We left for the return journey at about 3 pm as we were tired anyway after an early start.

Barcelona - the ships now berth a bit away from city centre there is a shuttle to the Columbus statue at the bottom of Las Ramblas or a taxi for us was 5 euros. If you walk to the top of Las Ramblas ...outside the El corte Ingles department store there is the stop for the hop on hop off buses and the northbound one goes to the Camp Nou Football ground if that appeals to you ..and also Sagrada Familia the famous Gaudi church.

Palma - if you don't want to go into the city centre there is a shopping mall fairly close. Out of the port across the busy main road and straight ahead up a hill... at the top on the left there is what looks like a fairly small shopping mall but if you go down the escalator a whole new world opens up and there are lots of shops with a huge Carrefour hypermarket !!!

If you go on your own to Rome PLEASE, PLEASE make sure you are back on time. Last week the ship waited approx 1.1/2 hours for 3 people. The time before when we were on the Spirit the ship sailed and left 3 people.

Ann

Must have been the same cruise as me then - they also had top pay 250 euros for a taxi to get back (ouch !!) , so if you are going to Rome for the first time i'd do the organised tour , it is pricey but very good and ensures you get back to the ship on time

Archived