Port or Starboard in Bermuda

kaleighsgram

This was a very informative thread, and enjoyed reading all the responses... hopefully we'll be booking the Veendam for next summer to Bermuda and if so, I think we'll book a STARBOARD (right side of the ship) cabin, since we'd like to view Front Street... saw enough water getting there :)

I would book Starboard too, but, because we're in a Lanai, I booked port side, figuring it would be more quiet while docked. From what I've read, there are enough chair hogs on the Veendam, hogging the chairs reserved for the lanai's. I think in Bermuda that will be an issue while we're docked...we'd never get a seat outside our door! :eek:

I would book Starboard too, but, because we're in a Lanai, I booked port side, figuring it would be more quiet while docked. From what I've read, there are enough chair hogs on the Veendam, hogging the chairs reserved for the lanai's. I think in Bermuda that will be an issue while we're docked...we'd never get a seat outside our door! :eek:

Nah. I wouldn't worry. Lots of pax will be at the beach. And late afternoon the sun won't be directly onto that side of the ship. Failing that, take your shotgun!

Stephen

The painting is most likely acurate,Veendam is facing Volendam circa 1970's.

Rotterdam 5 is likely anchored in the Great sound and tendering to Hamilton.

The Irony is that the Veendam & Volendam were American built and have

gone to the scrapper in just the past few years.

Holland America had a big presence in Bermuda,Rotterdam made Her 7 day NY,Bermuda Nassau leg while the 1956 Statendam did the same.

While sailing to Bermuda Myself though,I've Never seen a cruise ship with Her port side at the dock in Hamilton.Shell doors are mimicked on both sides of the current Veendam,don't kid yourself-She will be docked starbord side to the port of Hamilton.

Meridian,

I commissioned a painted from Stephen Card of Bermuda. I was busting him.

The ships I asked for were not American built.

I don't think we're talking about the same painting-are we? Please respond-thanks.

Well anyway,I was talking about this one:

http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!BS455(QBGk~$(KGrHgoH-D8EjlLl)cYWBKFdY0v6S!~~_1.JPG

This is no doubt a Stephen Card work. I copied this from page one of this thread and this is no doubt the chartered Veendam and Volendam head to head at Hamilton.I've seen Capt.Card's beautiful work and if He painted that scene--it happened!

Well anyway,I was talking about this one:

http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!BS455(QBGk~$(KGrHgoH-D8EjlLl)cYWBKFdY0v6S!~~_1.JPG

This is no doubt a Stephen Card work. I copied this from page one of this thread and this is no doubt the chartered Veendam and Volendam head to head at Hamilton.I've seen Capt.Card's beautiful work and if He painted that scene--it happened!

Thanks Meridian!:)

That painting was based on an actuaal event... Thursday 2nd September 1982. It was my second day as Harbour Master and I was on the dock to 'supervise' the departure of Home Line's ATLANTIC at 2pm followed by VEENDAM. VOLENDAM would sail on Friday. And you are right, ROTTERDAM was out at anchor in Grassy Bay. Also note, standing on the stern of VEENDAM is Second Officer Pieter Bos, now Captain Bos on the VOLENDAM.

Two points though. Present Veendam's side doors are morrored, ie on the same locaation opn each sside of the sship, but they are not exactly amidships which means, port or starboard side alongside the gaangwaay wwould laand in a different possition on the dock. For best access to the Terminal the new VEENDAM wwould be best going port side alongside, but as I eexplaaineed in aan eaarlier post, there is an issue with underkeel cleaarance and the ship WILL berth starboard side alongside so that the propellers are kept in water slightly deeper than where her bow will be.

Starboard side alongside is the prefered way to berth aat any of the ddocks in Hamilton but it is certainly not the rule and depends on location of doors.

In my painting VOLENDAM is shown on No. 7, starboard side alongside. Sometimes she berthed at No 7, port side alongside then after VEENDAM's departures, VOLENDAM would slip back and take her place at No. 5/6. Every week it was a juggling match with berth allocation. Made worse every Tuesday morrning at 6 am if it was blowing too hard for VOLENDAM to get into St Georges and she had to come straight to Hamilton because that meant an interruption to cargo being worked on No. 7. In fact on one occaasion my decission to move a container ship to allow VOLENDAM into Hamilton led to a newpaper headline in large black letters, WATERFRONT WAR between myself and and Bermuda Container Line. There was an enquiry and I was backed 100% by the Ports Authority. :D The ageents for the container ship theen wrote to the Minister of Transport and said, "We have read the reports of the Harbour Master and the Ports Authority and at best we can descrribe them as a complete sham and read more like the script from the popular BBC television series, 'Yes, Minister'!":eek: I kid you not!

Curious, why do you say VEENDAM and VOLENDAM were 'chartered'?

Stephen

Oh, just in case you are wondering what 'Topsham' means.

Not "Top Sham"!

The large tug/tender towing the stern of VEENDAM in the painting is the BERMUDIAN. In 1988 she was sold to Havelet Marine in the UK and I was employed by them as master to sail her, with seven others, from Bermuda to Dartmouth. Under her new owners she was named TOPSHAM. A year later she was sold to Marlines of Greece and I sailed her frrom the UK to Piraeus as ROYAL M. Grand name for such a wee boat!

Stephen

Yes Veendam and Volendam were Not chartered,sorry my gaffe.It,s just confusing because they had gone through so many name changes that i had trouble keeping track.

The dummy funnels on the pair were originally designed to be nude sunbathing areas just a funny tidbit.

Sorry to get off topic but is Noordam at West End available as a reprint? If so,It's a must have masterpiece! Thanks for your expertise.

Just a historical note:

Veendam and Volendam formerly Argentina and Brasil were the last complete large passenger vessels to be built in the United states,The hull of NCL's Pride of America was the last to leave the Ingalls yard.

Meridian,

I visited ARGENTINA and Brasil in Bermuda a few times in the 60s. Magnificent ships and they were most impressive 'as built' and in Moore MacCormack colours. Sailed in VEENDAM and then both of them as BERMUDA STAR and QUEEN OF BERMUDA. Not quite the same as when under HAL, but still interesting ships.

Stephen

I was talking with someone in the know this morning re VEENDAM berthing in Bermuda next year and apparently it has NOT been decided which side she will berth. There now seems a possibility she will berth bow east, port side alongside.

Stephen

• 5 weeks later...

Topsham

Any update on port or starboard? Will be booking for next summer shortly and thought it may be nice to overlook the city while docked - and then hearing about the shade in the afternoon makes it even more inviting to consider which side to book. Someone also mentioned parades??? is that a weekly event in bermuda ?

As you can see it will be our first sailing to bermuda!!!!!

thanks all as usual for the information!

Bob

Thanks everyone for your input. I booked a suite (our very first!) on the starboard side. Hopefully this puts me facing Front Street as I love to people watch. If worse comes to worse (can this happen in Bermuda?) :confused: I'll be "forced" to look out at the sea. HA! Can't wait.:)

Pat

Even if the ship does not "park" on the starboard side, you will have a WONDERFULL, MEMORABLE view to experience sailing through the Saint Georges Cut and seeing and hearing the Town Crier from your balcony.....!!! sHa_woot.gif

I was talking with someone in the know this morning re VEENDAM berthing in Bermuda next year and apparently it has NOT been decided which side she will berth. There now seems a possibility she will berth bow east, port side alongside.

Stephen

Stephen --

Keep us posted if you can, I'll be sure to file that information away. We are looking forward to cruising to Bermuda.

BTW - Much of your work graces our new home - my special favorite the auctioned Noordam IV leaving New York harbor I bid on (and won!) during that inaugural voyage. It remains one of my favorites. :)

Archived