Port or Starboard in Bermuda

kaleighsgram

Since HAL hasn't gone to Bermuda in years, it's anybody's guess at this point.

I will say that the other times I have cruised to Bermuda, it was the Starboard side that faced Front Street. But those cruises were in the far distant past, and things could be very different now.

Thanks Ruth. The other ships I've been on have the starboard side on Front Street so I guess that's the side I ask for. It seems to me that you have helped me in the past with other questions, so thank you again. I remember the chocolate references! LOL

Pat

Thanks everyone for your input. I booked a suite (our very first!) on the starboard side. Hopefully this puts me facing Front Street as I love to people watch. If worse comes to worse (can this happen in Bermuda?) :confused: I'll be "forced" to look out at the sea. HA! Can't wait.:)

Pat

Having been to Bermuda a bunch of times on a whole gaggle of ships, i can say the 1 consistency was docking in Hamilton. I have never seen a ship dock anything other than starboard to pier there. Never really thought about that before, but maybe there is a reason why they do it that way there.

Thanks everyone for your input. I booked a suite (our very first!) on the starboard side. Hopefully this puts me facing Front Street as I love to people watch. If worse comes to worse (can this happen in Bermuda?) :confused: I'll be "forced" to look out at the sea. HA! Can't wait.:)

Pat

If "worse comes to worse," you'll be overlooking the very beautiful harbour in Hamilton. We purposely chose a lanai stateroom on the 10/03 cruise on the port side for that very reason!

In all the years I've been going to Bermuda (both cruises and land vacations), I have never seen a ship dock port side in Hamilton. All the ships I've seen, and been a passenger on, pull into Hamilton, turn around in the harbor, and then dock on the starboard side. The same goes for cargo ships etc... My guess is that it makes it much easier to just pull out and go forward when leaving. Now in St. George it varies I've seen and been on ships that have docked on both port and starboard.

It does seem to be the case that all ships do pull in, turn around and dock starboard side in.

It's probably for a quicker exit in case bad weather threatens. Cruise ships usually prefer the high seas to being trapped in the harbour when a hurricane is around but I do remember one storm - I think it must have been Emily in 1987 - that came with so little warning that a ship was still in the harbour. It might have been the Statendam but I'm not sure; anyway, she broke free from her moorings and the Captain only just had enough power in her engines to stop her being smashed against the rocks on the other shore.

Somebody refresh my memory please? Is the towncrier, dressed up in traditional clothes and complete with bell, who greets the ships as they go through the narrow cut right before they berth, in Hamilton or in St. George's?

Somebody refresh my memory please? Is the towncrier, dressed up in traditional clothes and complete with bell, who greets the ships as they go through the narrow cut right before they berth, in Hamilton or in St. George's?

St Georges. By Gates Fort coming into Town Cut. Sir Thomas Gates was the first person to set foot on Bermuda from the wreck of the Sea Venture 400 years ago (July 28th) - Bermuda has been inhabited continuously ever since.

Going into Hamilton Harbour, you do have to go through Two Rock Passage but that is just a dredged channel between two islands; it's not a cut.

Thanks everyone. I can always count of the people from cruise critic to help come up with the answers. I, too, can't recall any other stationing other than the starboard side being next to the street. It's a great place to have a cabin, especially when the parades start, although I think we'll be too early for those. I am really looking forward to this cruise. It's just too bad it's a year away.

Pat

image.php?code=0XT132b5a4Xk17Xs23XSail%20Away

In all the years I've been going to Bermuda (both cruises and land vacations), I have never seen a ship dock port side in Hamilton. All the ships I've seen, and been a passenger on, pull into Hamilton, turn around in the harbor, and then dock on the starboard side. The same goes for cargo ships etc... My guess is that it makes it much easier to just pull out and go forward when leaving. Now in St. George it varies I've seen and been on ships that have docked on both port and starboard.

That's my experience, too, Bermudamal. I purposely booked on the starboard side as I'd rather the "peace and quiet" overlooking the very beautiful Hamilton Harbour.

St Georges. By Gates Fort coming into Town Cut. Sir Thomas Gates was the first person to set foot on Bermuda from the wreck of the Sea Venture 400 years ago (July 28th) - Bermuda has been inhabited continuously ever since.

Going into Hamilton Harbour, you do have to go through Two Rock Passage but that is just a dredged channel between two islands; it's not a cut.

Thanks a bunch, Jolly!:)

• 2 weeks later...

In general you all are correct that the Veendam should dock starbord side to the pier in Hamilton, but I have seen ships docked the other way. Back in the 80's when HAL used to sail to Bermuda, and Hamilton Harbor was always crowded, the middle of the three ships would sometimes dock port side to the pier. Stephen Card painted the scene with the Volendam and Veendam in port.

!BS455(QBGk~$(KGrHgoH-D8EjlLl)cYWBKFdY0v6S!~~_1.JPG

And here is a picture I took of the then brand new Statendam departing from Hamilton Harbor, which will give feel for the Veendam in Hamilton.

Ship+Photo+STATENDAM.jpg

• 2 months later...
In general you all are correct that the Veendam should dock starbord side to the pier in Hamilton, but I have seen ships docked the other way. Back in the 80's when HAL used to sail to Bermuda, and Hamilton Harbor was always crowded, the middle of the three ships would sometimes dock port side to the pier. Stephen Card painted the scene with the Volendam and Veendam in port.

!BS455(QBGk~$(KGrHgoH-D8EjlLl)cYWBKFdY0v6S!~~_1.JPG

And here is a picture I took of the then brand new Statendam departing from Hamilton Harbor, which will give feel for the Veendam in Hamilton.

Ship+Photo+STATENDAM.jpg[/quote

Statendam departing Hamilton, April 1993... I'm standing on my balcony... 021, I think was the number. :-)

My painting of VEENDAM.... yes she did berth port side alongside at this berth, so did VOLENDAM when she used teh berth. It had to do with the location of the cruise break doors. They were forward of amidships on the old VEENDAM and VOLENDAM.

I've just been looking at the VEENDAM plans and I see a similar problem!

If the access to the vessel is through the Main Deck doors she may well have to berth port side alongside. If access is to be on Lower Prom Deck then she can berth starboard side alongside but I think the deck may be too high which will result in the gangway to be too steep.

I'll call the Harbour Master in the morning and get an answer for you.

Stephen

Thank you, Stephen. I'm anxious to hear! We're in one of the new Lanai cabins and I chose port because I thought we'd be away from the fray and facing the lovely harbour! Hopefull she docks starboard...but I guess it's not that big a deal.

OK, I spoke to the Pilot Warden, Captain Caan, this morrning. The plan is that thee ship will berth, bow west, or starboard side alongside.

If Main Deck door lines up with the top deck of terminal then the gangway will be there. If not, the gangway will be from B Deck (tender door) and thee passengers will walk back along the dock, up the steps and through the terminal. Not the best and useless for wheelchairs which theen have to be let through a seperate gate.

For VEENDAM the concern is not so much for the doors but for the propellers. They need to be in the deepest part of the dock... the eastern end.

So, for those concerned about cabin location, port or starboard....

If you have a balcony then you might prefer port side overlooking the harbour and you will geet the sun. Starboard side if you prefer to overlook the city and have a nice cool shaded balcony from which to drink afternoon cocktails and watch Front Street.

To be honest, each side has its own plusses. I don't see any negatives at all.

'Quo Fata Ferunt'.... the motto on Bermuda's Coat of Arms translates as 'Whither the fates may lead' or as they say "Go with de flow!"

Stephen

OK, I spoke to the Pilot Warden, Captain Caan, this morrning. The plan is that thee ship will berth, bow west, or starboard side alongside.

If Main Deck door lines up with the top deck of terminal then the gangway will be there. If not, the gangway will be from B Deck (tender door) and thee passengers will walk back along the dock, up the steps and through the terminal. Not the best and useless for wheelchairs which theen have to be let through a seperate gate.

For VEENDAM the concern is not so much for the doors but for the propellers. They need to be in the deepest part of the dock... the eastern end.

So, for those concerned about cabin location, port or starboard....

If you have a balcony then you might prefer port side overlooking the harbour and you will geet the sun. Starboard side if you prefer to overlook the city and have a nice cool shaded balcony from which to drink afternoon cocktails and watch Front Street.

To be honest, each side has its own plusses. I don't see any negatives at all.

'Quo Fata Ferunt'.... the motto on Bermuda's Coat of Arms translates as 'Whither the fates may lead' or as they say "Go with de flow!"

Stephen

This was a very informative thread, and enjoyed reading all the responses... hopefully we'll be booking the Veendam for next summer to Bermuda and if so, I think we'll book a STARBOARD (right side of the ship) cabin, since we'd like to view Front Street... saw enough water getting there :)

Archived