Cape Liberty Questions - help please!

Hi all -

I have a few questions regarding Cape Liberty, the locations, conveniences, etc. I am going to post this on another thread, but thought I would also try here.

I am trying to make a "family obligation wedding" in Massachusetts on September 19th into a 5 night Explorer cruise to Bermuda... Since I live in FL, the cruises I take are typically to the Caribbean and I figured this would be a perfect opportunity to try a different itinerary.

Questions -

1- Is Cape Liberty NJ close to Manhattan? (That may be a silly question, sorry if it is). On a map it looks close to Newark?

2- What airport is closest and most convenient to this port? Newark? We would take a 1-way up the morning of the cruise (or night before)

3- Does anyone know if there are trains from Newark / Manhattan into Providence or Boston? If so, pricing on this?

Any other helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kristen

Hi all -

I have a few questions regarding Cape Liberty, the locations, conveniences, etc. I am going to post this on another thread, but thought I would also try here.

I am trying to make a "family obligation wedding" in Massachusetts on September 19th into a 5 night Explorer cruise to Bermuda... Since I live in FL, the cruises I take are typically to the Caribbean and I figured this would be a perfect opportunity to try a different itinerary.

Questions -

1- Is Cape Liberty NJ close to Manhattan? (That may be a silly question, sorry if it is). On a map it looks close to Newark? YES...it is in New Jersey

2- What airport is closest and most convenient to this port? Newark? We would take a 1-way up the morning of the cruise (or night before)

Newark simply because getting from an NY airport into NJ will cost an arm and a leg in a cab (cabs from NY can't pick up return fares in NJ and vice versa thus they basically can charge whatever they want)...you would do better with a car service.

3- Does anyone know if there are trains from Newark / Manhattan into Providence or Boston? If so, pricing on this?

yes....amtrak. cost varies.....you can get amtral at the EWR airport station.

Any other helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kristen

see above

stop by the east coast thread and check the link below to my blog!

see above

stop by the east coast thread and check the link below to my blog!

Great, thank you for the quick reply! I am about to have a look at your blog now.

Now, since I typically drive into the ports and rarely fly, I have another question. I know it would be "recommended" to me to fly up on Friday, the day prior. As we are just looking at flights now and not sure if we can arrive the night before, there is a flight into Newark that arrives at 10:30am the day of the cruise. How far away is the port from the airport? What are transportation options there? We would have a connection but I would imagine the weather in September wouldn't be terribly bad or cause many delays?

Now, since I typically drive into the ports and rarely fly, I have another question. I know it would be "recommended" to me to fly up on Friday, the day prior. As we are just looking at flights now and not sure if we can arrive the night before, there is a flight into Newark that arrives at 10:30am the day of the cruise. How far away is the port from the airport? What are transportation options there? We would have a connection but I would imagine the weather in September wouldn't be terribly bad or cause many delays?

It's quite close to Newark - maybe 15-20 minutes tops on a Saturday. There are taxis lined up outside the airport and a dispatcher who will tell you what the fare is to your destination.

it can take up to 30 minutes to get there depending on any traffic and/pr construction.

you can use a cab or a car service....price is abnout the same 40-50 bucks. i generally pay about 45.....

i am all for getting to the area the day ahead....

I live 1.5 hours away from Cape Liberty and still arrive the night before a cruise.

Meg is your woman for anything to do with NJ.

thanks darlene.

hey, they are opening a springhill suites around the corner from that shopping center on 309 coming out of q-town. i may check it out...when they have a deal!

thanks darlene.

hey, they are opening a springhill suites around the corner from that shopping center on 309 coming out of q-town. i may check it out...when they have a deal!

I might be putting up some family there if they open in time for my DDs graduation. If I do, I will be sure to let you know.;)

If you do take Amtrak to/from Boston the day before or after the cruise, I'd recommend riding it to/from New York Penn Station rather than Newark Liberty International Airport Rail Station.

In addition to having more trains to choose from, it also will increase the amount of transfer time you'll have to get between the ship/train and vice versa, while still getting you to Boston (or having you start out of Boston) at the same time.

Also, since you're from outside the Northeast Corridor, you'll want to know there are two types of trains from New York to Boston: the Northeast Regional and the Acela. The Northeast Regional is usually cheaper, while the Acela (Amtrak's version of a "Bullet Train") is faster, newer and a smoother ride. All seats on either train are considerably bigger than any airline coach seat.

And if both trains are too expensive, you may want to consider Bolt Bus or Megabus.com which depart from near Penn Station (brand new, clean buses with free wi-fi that run NY-Boston with fares from $1 to about $20something per person). I use Bolt Bus a lot to go NY to DC and the only complaint I have (traffic) is out of their hands. Just be sure to check their website regarding how much luggage they allow to be checked, if you're going to have multiple suitcases.

If you do take Amtrak to/from Boston the day before or after the cruise, I'd recommend riding it to/from New York Penn Station rather than Newark Liberty International Airport Rail Station.

In addition to having more trains to choose from, it also will increase the amount of transfer time you'll have to get between the ship/train and vice versa, while still getting you to Boston (or having you start out of Boston) at the same time.

Also, since you're from outside the Northeast Corridor, you'll want to know there are two types of trains from New York to Boston: the Northeast Regional and the Acela. The Northeast Regional is usually cheaper, while the Acela (Amtrak's version of a "Bullet Train") is faster, newer and a smoother ride. All seats on either train are considerably bigger than any airline coach seat.

And if both trains are too expensive, you may want to consider Bolt Bus or Megabus.com which depart from near Penn Station (brand new, clean buses with free wi-fi that run NY-Boston with fares from $1 to about $20something per person). I use Bolt Bus a lot to go NY to DC and the only complaint I have (traffic) is out of their hands. Just be sure to check their website regarding how much luggage they allow to be checked, if you're going to have multiple suitcases.

NYP would be silly if you can't get a train from the EWR station just take it to Newark-Penn and grab a cab from there since all trains stop at Newark.

NYP would be silly if you can't get a train from the EWR station just take it to Newark-Penn and grab a cab from there since all trains stop at Newark.

There are a few Boston trains that begin/end in New York, and the trains that do go to Newark and the airport sit in New York for 15-25 minutes before continuing on to Newark, which is why I mentioned NYP. But yes Newark Penn Station's also an option.

There are a few Boston trains that begin/end in New York, and the trains that do go to Newark and the airport sit in New York for 15-25 minutes before continuing on to Newark, which is why I mentioned NYP. But yes Newark Penn Station's also an option.

My fault I forgot they were going in from Boston...Even so If it is a through train I would rather sit then having to schlep all the way into Manhattan..

Cheers

Howie

Archived