Independence of the Seas Transatlantic April 2009

Hi Guys, I posted this review on another site but thought some of you may be interested in seeing the photos - Many Thanks.

Leaving Fort Lauderdale on the 12th April, Independence steamed effortlessly at 25 knots! in a NNW direction to rendezvous with a high pressure system sitting around the 30th parallel. She then headed primarily west to the Azores and Madeira before turning North Westerly calling at Vigo and arriving in Southampton on the 25th April. As luck would have it high pressure stayed with her for virtually the remainder of her journey.

After day one which was quite chilly, a following wind made for incredibly benign conditions even on the top deck and I cannot imagine there has ever been calmer seas for an Atlantic crossing. Even the Bay of Biscay resembled a mill pond at times, much to my disappointment. Personally I would have loved at least one sea day that would have put this amazing vessel to the test. By the end of the journey I was yearning for 10 meter waves, but it was not to be. The masses remained happy.

I often wonder what people are talking about when they dismiss these Goliathons of the sea as floating resorts where you lose sight of the fact that you’re actually on a ship. In my opinion there is no finer ship than the Freedom or Voyager class for being in touch with the sea. The promenade deck on these vessels has to be the finest at sea and the wings extending out beyond the superstructure are a superb addition. I could stand there all day watching the ship majestically cutting through the waves. In addition to this, how many other ships are there where you can literally stand or sit on the bow of the ship, for the main part, in virtual solitude. The vantage points up high are also superb, both fore and aft.

You can talk all day about the pros and cons of this ship and that ship in terms of value for money, entertainment, customer service etc. etc. The list is endless, but give me a bed and a good book and you can have the rest. Having said that this ship has it all anyway. It has something for everyone. To not appreciate what this class of ship has to offer is beyond my comprehension. You could spend two weeks without looking at the sea once and you would not be bored. You could spend two weeks looking at the sea, and if you were like me, you would not be bored. I spent many hours roaming the decks of Indy particularly in the early hours and virtually had them to myself. She is an engineering masterpiece in what she offers to the discerning traveller.

Kind Regards.

184.jpg?t=1242851666

198-1.jpg?t=1242851957

199.jpg?t=1242852019

201.jpg?t=1242852181

204.jpg?t=1242852242

289.jpg?t=1242852300

I was on this cruise and I totally agree with the OPs review. Fabulous time! Also I would like to thank the captain for being able to recieve

the unexpected satellite programing of the soccer.

"or did customer relations change the satellites orbit?!!!!"

Thanks for the wonderful pictures, we sailed transatlantic on her in November, Southampton to Fort Lauderdale, there was something truly wonderful about those sea days with nothing as far as the eye could see, i relaxed so much even when I was in the gym it was still a pleasure. We are sailing on the Monarch 5 day in October and I hope there is not too much difference in the RCCL experience besides the size.

• 3 weeks later...

What beautiful pictures!! We were also on the ship with you. Thanks for the bringing back such wonderful memories for us.

We also loved the sea days. It is a beautiful ship that is for sure.

carrie

Archived