Cash or Travelers Checks?

ezmofokine

So I don't really wanna charge a lot to my credit card that is linked to my seapass so I wanted to bring cash to pay for drinks and such on the ship. Obviously its kinda risky carrying around a buncha cash and I've always heard that it's better to take traveler's checks rather than cash, but I've never used traveler's checks and don't really know how they work. Can I get different denominations of them (like 100's for example) and then cash them on the ship as necessary? Any advice?

When the ship, you cannot use cash to buy anything. You must sign it to your cruise card, which is connected to your onboard account. You can use cash to settle your onboard account.

Travelers checks are available in different denominations and can be cashed on the ship.

Just to answer your Traveller's Cheque questions, they usually come in denominations of 20s, 50s, or 100s, but it depends on what your financial insitution has in stock. I know American Express (Traveller's Cheque) is discontinuing their packs of 20s and the last we ordered them, they only came in double signature. I would honestly suggest to just take cash to put down on your card when you board the ship. Yeah, you can replace Traveller's Cheques if they are lost or stolen, but they really can be a pain. You can take this for what it's worth. Either way, it's money!

You won't be able to use cash to make onboard purchases although you can use cash to settle your account. You may have a reason not to use your cc but we use it for everything and cash as little as possible.

You won't be able to use cash to make onboard purchases although you can use cash to settle your account. You may have a reason not to use your cc but we use it for everything and cash as little as possible.

you say I can use cash to "settle your account" Does that mean at the end of the cruise I can pay our seapass bill with cash instead of the credit card getting charged? Also, I am assuming that they just tally up our charges during the cruise and then make one charge at debarkation. Is that right?

While on the ship your TV has a channel that shows you your online account and what you have racked up in purchases. Good thing to visit it daily so you aren't in shock.

The purchases for anything that you use your Sail&Sign card for.

If you wanted to you could let them know during the cruise that you want to settle up your account with cash at the end of your cruise rather than having it stay on your credit card.. but be ready for long lines there at the front desk.. this generally happens towards the end of the cruise.

Then also if you haven't pre-paid your tips, you may want to have some cash broken down for the little envelopes they give you.

Thanks again Janet

Yeah we prepaid our gratuities so thats taken care of, I was under the impression that I could pay for drinks and such on board with cash if I didn't want to put anymore on my credit card. Can I pay with cash for anything? like if we go to ben and jerrys or johnny rockets?

you say I can use cash to "settle your account" Does that mean at the end of the cruise I can pay our seapass bill with cash instead of the credit card getting charged? Also, I am assuming that they just tally up our charges during the cruise and then make one charge at debarkation. Is that right?

Yes, during the cruise everything goes to your onboard account. At the end you can pay it by cash, travelers checks or credit card. If you want to pay by cash, they will want a deposit when you check in. Or you can give them a credit card when you check in, but pay cash at the end.

Thanks again Janet

Yeah we prepaid our gratuities so thats taken care of, I was under the impression that I could pay for drinks and such on board with cash if I didn't want to put anymore on my credit card. Can I pay with cash for anything? like if we go to ben and jerrys or johnny rockets?

Nope. No cash for these. They go on your SeaPass card.

They will take cash, credit, travelers checks....

Archived