Paperwork to take my son with me?

clansac

I've searched but can't find the right circumstance!

My son who is 6 and I will be cruising in 18 days. His father/my husband will not be joining us because he starts a new job. My son and I have the same last name and he has a passport so we have documentation etc.

Do I need anything else? I've read all these custody threads but since we're married is that good enough?

The threads pertain to everyone travelling with one parent with a child under 18 no matter what the circumstance. Just because you say you're still married, the authorities have no way of knowing that's true, or whether you're in a custody battle, and they could delay you/deny you entry/boarding while they confirm your story, or you could just bring the authorization paperwork with you and avoid any chance of a problem. You should also bring medical authorization from your husband.

You probably won't need any of it, but best to bring it - and especially since you don't have to track the father of your child down for a signature like so many of the folks who were asking. You can find the form to use in this forum.

Have a great trip - that sounds like nice mommy/son time,

Mia

Yes, it's called a Permission to Travel form. And when I travel without my hubby, I take it with me. It just says that your hubby gives you permission to travel to another country {name countries}, by ship {name ship} on these dates {name dates}.

Sign and dated by hubby, notarized

Wow, thanks everyone. Good thing I accidentally stumbled across the posts on custody online! My TA didn't say a word about it and I don't see anything on Carnival's site. I'll get on it next week!

Wow, thanks everyone. Good thing I accidentally stumbled across the posts on custody online! My TA didn't say a word about it and I don't see anything on Carnival's site. I'll get on it next week!

Actually, it is on the Carnival web site.

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/FAQs/Minor_Guests_and_Pregnancy_Policy.aspx

"wait are you saying you get a letter from your hubby that says its ok for you to travel out of the country "

The intent of the letter is to prove that you are not trying abduct your child and cross international borders to make custody issues more difficult.

pammycakes: I'm just curious, but when you travel with your kids, do you need to carry a copy of your husband's death certificate or are the kid's passports enough? I'm sure that others that are in your situation would like to know.

N.

Actually, it is on the Carnival web site.

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/FAQs/Minor_Guests_and_Pregnancy_Policy.aspx

What I meant was I would have had to go specifically looking for that policy. It didn't come up in our sail documents, it didn't come up with a warning when I booked the cruise. Seems like something that should have popped up along the way- they obviously know that there is one adult and one child booked in the room.

Also, since we're not going to Mexico and we're technically not leaving the US (Swine flu cancellations) that section wouldn't have even jumped out at me.

Very bizarre. I've flown with DS all over the country and nobody has ever asked me what we were doing or for any documentation at all. I could have kidnapped him 10x over by now!

I've searched but can't find the right circumstance!

My son who is 6 and I will be cruising in 18 days. His father/my husband will not be joining us because he starts a new job. My son and I have the same last name and he has a passport so we have documentation etc.

Do I need anything else? I've read all these custody threads but since we're married is that good enough?

If you are sailing from a port that you can drive to, have hubby drive you there. Then he can tell them in person it is okay. You will also save a small fortune in parking fees.

If you are sailing from a port that you can drive to, have hubby drive you there. Then he can tell them in person it is okay. You will also save a small fortune in parking fees.

Huh?

Sorry but I can't figure out any way that someone can do this. When you arrive at the port terminal, they check your ticket to make sure you have one, outside the door. Then you go through security. Then you go to the check in desk. The husband wouldn't have a ticket.

And those who disembark in Mexico need one the letter. So how would someone's husband dropping them off the port allow them to get past the documentation needed? :confused:

What I meant was I would have had to go specifically looking for that policy. It didn't come up in our sail documents, it didn't come up with a warning when I booked the cruise. Seems like something that should have popped up along the way- they obviously know that there is one adult and one child booked in the room.

Also, since we're not going to Mexico and we're technically not leaving the US (Swine flu cancellations) that section wouldn't have even jumped out at me.

Very bizarre. I've flown with DS all over the country and nobody has ever asked me what we were doing or for any documentation at all. I could have kidnapped him 10x over by now!

When I filled out my Carnival set sail pass for Triumph, there was that section of text that I just quoted above listed there.

And yes, your TA should have told you.

Some travel without it and never get asked. Some travel with it and get asked. You just never know what they are going to ask you.

pammycakes: I'm just curious, but when you travel with your kids, do you need to carry a copy of your husband's death certificate or are the kid's passports enough? I'm sure that others that are in your situation would like to know.

N.

I'm not pammycakes, but the father's death certificate is just like carrying custody documents or a notarized letter from the other parent - it is proof that I am the sole parent of the children I am leaving the country with.

Best,

Mia

The documentation is for when you leave or enter the country, not fly within it. You don't need it every time you get on a plane. It's so parents don't have to deal with the nightmare of having the non-custodial parent take a child to a country that is not bound by our laws.

I have taken my twins out of the country seven times and have only been questioned once, but if you encounter the one official who wants to see paperwork and you don't have it, you could miss a flight, miss your cruise, etc., while it all gets sorted out.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

It's really very simple and not very time consuming. My husband can't cruise because of severe motion sickness issues and I always cruise solo with the kids. I take a letter every time - I think of it like another form of travel insurance. Having the letter is like removing a potential roadblock and the peace of mind it gives me is worth any hassle.

P.S. - I've never been asked for it!

I'll definitely get the letter taken care of before we go. Thanks! We're not technically leaving the country since we're in a "revised" itinerary. But I'd rather have it than worry about some weird paperwork snafu messing us up at the pier. We're too excited to get turned away and drive all the way back home!

Notary services are free here at banks as well as my local insurance ageny. I'm surprised to hear that other people pay for notary services.

Can I chime in with a question?

I've got birth certificates with both parents names listed, I've got the notarized letter from my ex.

Do I also need my divorce decree? Do I need ALL of it? We divided a business when we divorced so ours has half a page about joint custody/visitation, and 30 some pages of machinery depreciations schedules, financial mumbo jumbo, insurance and payment details, blah blah blah. I do NOT want to lug that along on my cruise. I might not have fought so hard for all the nitty gritty details if I knew I'd have to carry that monstrosty around with me, anywhere, expecially on VACATIONS! LOL! :)

Notary services are free here at banks as well as my local insurance ageny. I'm surprised to hear that other people pay for notary services.

Can I chime in with a question?

I've got birth certificates with both parents names listed, I've got the notarized letter from my ex.

Do I also need my divorce decree? Do I need ALL of it? We divided a business when we divorced so ours has half a page about joint custody/visitation, and 30 some pages of machinery depreciations schedules, financial mumbo jumbo, insurance and payment details, blah blah blah. I do NOT want to lug that along on my cruise. I might not have fought so hard for all the nitty gritty details if I knew I'd have to carry that monstrosty around with me, anywhere, expecially on VACATIONS! LOL! :)

the BC and the letter should be sufficient...your current marital status is not relevant...he is signing the letter as the parent of the children, not as your spouse or ex-spouse, or domestic partner, etc

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng.html#s2x3

Canada border services says

"If you are travelling with minors, you must carry proper identification for each child such as a birth certificate, passport, citizenship card, permanent resident card or Certificate of Indian Status. If you are not the parent or guardian of the children, you should also have written permission from the parent/guardian authorizing the trip. The letter should include addresses and telephone numbers of where the parents or guardian can be reached.

Divorced or separated parents should carry copies of the legal custody agreements for the children."

I did copy two pages back to back of my Divorce Decree that deals with custody, one fortunately had a stamp on it from the recorders office so it looks somewhat official. I figured I had room for that ONE piece of paper folded and tucked into her passport.

I have no custody agreement for my 15 yr old son, however. I was unmarried when he was born, and we've always shared custodyand never needed a legal agreement. Notarized letter will have to be good enough. *shrugs*

Ok, thanks for letting me join this thread!

Kerry's Girl is correct

I am a single mother with full physical and legal custody of my 13 year old DD and we cruised on the FOS (Eastern Itinerary - no Mexico) in April. When we checked in for the cruise, all the agent cared about was that we did not have any Noro symptoms. My DD could have been anybody (we do not have the same last name). No questions were asked. Fast forward to the following Sunday in Miami - when we went through Customs and Immigration, my DD was asked by the officer who she was traveling with. She stated her mom - he then called me up (because we have different last names we have a customs form for each of us). He asked me if her father was aware she had been out of the country. I explained I had full legal and physical custody and took out my certified order. He very carefully read the paperwork, We were then free to go. I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have it. We both have new US passports (from last August). Who knows if another inspector would have even asked.

I always have my paperwork when traveling outside of the country but it is not required to travel inside the country. When I changed my cabin last night for our July cruise, the agent made sure I was aware of the documentation requirements since I was traveling with a minor child.

We leave Monday. I have full legal custody of my 8 year old son. I haven't been in touch with his dad in many years and am not exactly sure where he even lives. I have the custody papers. I also have documentation where his last name was changed to mine because the custody papers have his old last name. Do you think I need my divorce decree too? I certainly cannot get a letter from a man I don't know how to find. Help!!! I am really worried now. We are sailing to Cozumel and Belize.:confused:

Archived