Can we make this flight?

Sunshine91

John & I are sailing on Ryndam's last Alaskan voyage into Vancouver at the end of September. Are we crazy to book a 12noon flight from that airport? :confused:

So far it's looking like it's either that noon cross-continental trip, or we take ground transport to Seattle to fly home from there.

Any other suggestions? I think I'll post this on the Alaska board, too. Thanks much. :)

Noon is cutting it tight AND the first and last sailings of the season can be rough at Vancouver due to their normally being extra ships in port at that time. I would look for a later flight.

I agree that noon could be cutting it close. Maybe not. I wouldn't want to worry. Can you take the noon flight the next day, stay overnight and see a bit of the city before you take off cross country?

I would want to stay a night or two in Vancouver myself;

however, that said -- the port schedule is showing the Ryndam as the ONLY ship in that particular Friday, so if all goes right, and the ship gets in on time, clears promptly, luggage is found easily, you have a preferential disembarkation, you make it easily through all the Olympic road construction work to airport, then the immigration and security lineups at the airport and be at your boarding gate in time.

Does seem to me to be a bit stressful way to end a nice relaxing trip though ........

Our first cruise was an Alaskan cruise - last one of the season. We hit a storm on our return portion. We didn't arrive in Vancouver until 12:30 p.m. I wouldn't risk it.

Also, haven't we been hearing stories lately about how bad the traffic is in Vancouver due to construction for the Olympics? Vancouver traffic is normally 'bad', but this is even worse.

YVR is only a 35-45 minute taxi ride at 9:00-9:30 AM. YVR is also a very traveler friendly airport that I use quite often on certain overseas routes. I live exactly 97 miles to YVR and 98 miles to SEA. (Anacortes, WA). Getting off the vessel in Vancouver is very straight forward and quick. Taxis are immediately available curbside. $20 US will get you to YVR......Personally, I would not hesitate to book an 11:00 AM flight as I know that the ship will dock by 6:00 AM and that I can get off by 9:00 AM......Take heart and be brave!!!!.....

You may make it, but don't count on it. It recently took me 1.5 hours to get from Canada Place cruise terminal to the airport. And believe me, you will NOT be the only one trying to get through US Immigration and the security screening at the airport. And if for any reason the ship is lating docking or late clearing, you are hooped.

Don't end your vacation on such a stressful note :)

I don't know what airline you are flying, but there is an express baggage/check-in service for $16pp (major airlines), where your bag is checked and you receive your boarding pass on board the ship. This would save time in two ways: you can self disembark (usually called first) with just your carryon stuff, and you can go directly to security (since you are already checked in) when you get to the airport. That might help.

Thanks everyone. These are exactly the kinds of things we need to think about before booking the flights.

If we don't fly out of Vancouver at noon, then we'll take ground transport to Seattle to fly out that evening on a redeye. :p

Although we'd love to stay over on the West Coast another day or 2, we have to be back at work Monday. We'll still have laundry, grocery & other getting back home things to take care of. And no matter when we arrive on the East Coast, we still won't be "home." We'll only be at John's folks' house. They keep the dog for us, so we won't be driving back to the beach until the next day. Yes, it's complicated. :rolleyes:

In one simple little word. No. Everything that has been said before is very very true. You will be at the mercy of the traffic, weather and all other gods. There is no freeway from the cruise terminal to the airport. It is all surface streets. You should count on at least 45 minutes to an hour to get there. And then there's your luggage, if you want it on the same flight book a later one. Good Crusing

Linda

Archived