New Travel Requirements

Thanks for the link.

It appears that Belize and Roatan still seem to be the question mark since they are still not part of WHITI.

But then again, I do like the part where it states something to the affect that Cruiselines reserve the right to require passports even if not required by the Gov't.

this is an important statement before everyone over reacts...LOL

For instance, cruisers who begin and end their trips in the same U.S. port are not required to show passports under the new law. Technically, they can use a driver's license and birth certificate.

The direct quote from the article is:

"For instance, cruisers who begin and end their trips in the same U.S. port are not required to show passports under the new law. Technically, they can use a driver's license and birth certificate.

The Cruise Lines International Association says individual carriers reserve the right to require certain identification, including passports and that would-be cruisers check with individual cruise lines when booking."

That second paragraph is the clincher. Carnival can require us to have a passport.

this is an important statement before everyone over reacts...LOL

For instance, cruisers who begin and end their trips in the same U.S. port are not required to show passports under the new law. Technically, they can use a driver's license and birth certificate.

I think this part is even more important

The Cruise Lines International Association says individual carriers reserve the right to require certain identification, including passports [

opps, posted the same time Yogi and JD did.

Thanks for the link.

It appears that Belize and Roatan still seem to be the question mark since they are still not part of WHITI.

They are part of the WHTI. The WHTI final rule does not exclude them, it's the ambiguous FAQ on the CBP website that has caused the problem. The FAQ provides a supplemental definition and it is unclear if it applies to U.S. citizens. I have been told two answers by DHS regarding this issue: (1) You don't need a passport, and (2) You do need a passport. :rolleyes:

That second paragraph is the clincher. Carnival can require us to have a passport.

Sure they can, but they won't. They lobbied against the passport requirement and their target market for certain ports would be substantially affected if they tried to implement it.

The direct quote from the article is:

"For instance, cruisers who begin and end their trips in the same U.S. port are not required to show passports under the new law. Technically, they can use a driver's license and birth certificate.

The Cruise Lines International Association says individual carriers reserve the right to require certain identification, including passports and that would-be cruisers check with individual cruise lines when booking."

At this point, who doesn't have a pass port and plans to travel?

How many years has it been since they have been talking about requiring passports for everything?

:confused::rolleyes::p

Sure they can, but they won't. They lobbied against the passport requirement and their target market for certain ports would be substantially affected if they tried to implement it.

I sail on the Valor on June 21.

Just printed my docs. On page 4 under "Check-In Procedures Day of Sailing"

It states:

" Present the following documents to the embarkation representative:

- FunPass

- Passport

- Credit Card"

No mention of other forms of ID to prove citizenship

It states:

- FunPass

- Passport

- Credit Card"

From Carnival's website:

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a passport or other recognized document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see www.travel.state.gov.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/fun/cruise_control/EMB_travel_document.aspx

How many years has it been since they have been talking about requiring passports for everything?

I don't get it either:rolleyes::D

From Carnival's website:

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a passport or other recognized document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see www.travel.state.gov.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/fun/cruise_control/EMB_travel_document.aspx

I agree Host Mach,

The real confusion is that this sailing is the Western Iten and we visit Belize and Roatan. These 2 countries have still not been "officially" addressed as to whether they fall under WHTI or not. With that concern, My documents say "Passport".

Is that a misprint or is Carnival "Requiring" passports for cruises that visit these 2 countries?

Thanks Mach. Finally a voice of reason amid the chaos.

I JUST booked a cruise on the Holiday, and NO mention of passports were made. I even found the exact paragraph that Host Mach posted, and since we are leaving from Mobile and returning to Mobile, no need for a passport.

I absolutely REFUSE to get passports for myself or the family until the price is in the ballpark of the normal fee to get a drivers' license (which you actually have to take a test to get). You have to do NOTHING to get a passport, except pay the insane $100 fee and provide documents that have ALREADY been issued by your state.

As far as I am concerned, the government needs to wake up and get a clue, either we need one ID that is accepted by all or not..... This mess of each state having it's own ID/Drivers' license and the feds having passports is crap. Make ONE system for ONE ID that serves all of the purposes needed.........

It states:

- FunPass

- Passport

- Credit Card"

Mine says the same thing for a closed-loop Eastern Caribbean sailing in July. It's boilerplate.

I won't be taking a passport.

I agree Host Mach,

The real confusion is that this sailing is the Western Iten and we visit Belize and Roatan. These 2 countries have still not been "officially" addressed as to whether they fall under WHTI or not. With that concern, My documents say "Passport".

Is that a misprint or is Carnival "Requiring" passports for cruises that visit these 2 countries?

See my other post above. It's generic boilerplate. It does not mean Carnival is requiring a passport (but I agree that does not help you with respect to Belize and Roatan).

My wife and kids don't have them, and we plan to travel (via cruise ship and land) quite a bit over the next couple years. They've never had to go anywhere that they would be required, and probably won't for a good number of years.

Maybe you're just better off than me... $600 for some documents - that aren't technically required - takes a big bite out of the vacation fund. I can find better, more memorable ways to spend that money.

With the rules being so confusing, it's probably not worth going on another cruise without passports. Still, I won't be passing judgement on others who risk it.

Right before our first cruise in 2007 it was supposed to be mandatory so off we went to get them. A short time later when everyone was in a panic trying to get theirs in time to sail it was changed to a suggestion and not required. If I were someone who was sailing and knew it was going to be a one time sailing I may have hesitated in getting one. Since I knew I was going to be hooked before I even stepped foot on the ship it just made sense to get it over with. When and if they do make them a requirement the crazy rush to get them will start all over again.

We counted the cost of getting a passport as part of our intial cruise investment. It's nice to have them and we do bring them on all of our cruises.

My wife and kids don't have them, and we plan to travel (via cruise ship and land) quite a bit over the next couple years. They've never had to go anywhere that they would be required, and probably won't for a good number of years.

Maybe you're just better off than me... $600 for some documents - that aren't technically required - takes a big bite out of the vacation fund. I can find better, more memorable ways to spend that money.

The passport card is only valid for re-entry into the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.

I know it can be expense when you have to get them for families, but here are the prices:

FEES WHEN SUBMITTING PASSPORT APPLICATION IN PERSON (FORM DS-11)

What Are You Applying For?

(In Person)

Application Fee

Make Payable to

"Department of State"

Execution Fee

Paid separate to the facility where you are applying

Total Amount You Pay

Passport Book (Age 16 & Older)

$75.00

$25.00

$100.00

Passport Book (Under Age 16)

$60.00

$25.00

$85.00

Passport Card (Age 16 & Older)

$20.00

$25.00

$45.00

Passport Card (Under Age 16)

$10.00

$25.00

$35.00

From HLS website

Note: Cruise Ship Passengers: U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Sheila

I did not feel comfortable with this "rule" until the cruise lines started stating it in the back of their brochures, ie: the closed loop rule. Albeit, I too feel a passport is a "GOOD" thing, however many people do ask.

I think people are crazy to travel outside of the USA - (cruise out and back to the same port or not) without a passport. A friend broke her ankle in Mexico and had to fly back early from her cruise. They were detained and held for hours in a US port before being allowed to enter back into the USA all because they didn’t have passports - only birth certificates. (And this was only a few months ago). She was in so much pain she swore never again and went right in and applied for her passport when she was able to. You just never know. You could have an emergency back home (accident or death of a family member) and have to leave your cruise early and fly back to the US from a foreign port. Too much of a risk not to have one if you travel. - You just never know. Always prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

With the rules being so confusing, it's probably not worth going on another cruise without passports. Still, I won't be passing judgement on others who risk it.

Not to be contrary but I don't think anyone who travels with a birth certificate and proper photo ID is not 'one of those who risk it.' They're complying with the law. Doesn't seem risky to me...

:rolleyes:

Archived