New Travel Requirements

The direct quote from the article is:

"For instance, cruisers who begin and end their trips in the same U.S. port are not required to show passports under the new law. Technically, they can use a driver's license and birth certificate.

The Cruise Lines International Association says individual carriers reserve the right to require certain identification, including passports and that would-be cruisers check with individual cruise lines when booking."

That second paragraph is the clincher. Carnival can require us to have a passport.

Yes they can but I wouldn't count on that happening anytime soon. They lobbied against this from the get go.

But anything can happen and wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Bill

Not to be contrary but I don't think anyone who travels with a birth certificate and proper photo ID is 'one of those who risk it.' They're complying with the law. Doesn't seem risky to me...

:rolleyes:

I agree with you in principal... That shouldn't be considered "risky".

When I came back into NOLA in February, the Customs agent told me (and this is pretty close to a direct quote) "The President passed a law last year requiring every U.S. Citizen to have a passport. After June, you won't be allowed back in the country without one."

Obviously, she's misinformed. Nonetheless, without a passport, you risk running into someone at Customs who doesn't know the rules, which could mean a lengthy delay while you argue your case. If you're trying to catch a flight, that could be trouble.

To my point, all I was saying is that I understand the costs can be prohibitive, and unlike others on this board, I won't be narrowminded or flippant toward anyone who chooses to sail without a passport.

I realize there are people with families that it might be an added expense at the time but just think how much it would cost if there was an emergency. I guess I am just the type of person that does not like to take chances.

Maybe you're just better off than me... $600 for some documents - that aren't technically required - takes a big bite out of the vacation fund. I can find better, more memorable ways to spend that money.

Probably not........we decided to buy them for each other one Christmas.......

It just made sense like crazed mentioned.........why be caught off guard when it does become a requirement.......

My wife and kids don't have them, and we plan to travel (via cruise ship and land) quite a bit over the next couple years. They've never had to go anywhere that they would be required, and probably won't for a good number of years.

Maybe you're just better off than me... $600 for some documents - that aren't technically required - takes a big bite out of the vacation fund. I can find better, more memorable ways to spend that money.

With the rules being so confusing, it's probably not worth going on another cruise without passports. Still, I won't be passing judgement on others who risk it.

I agree with what you said and since the passport is not required, I am doing what is best for my family. Also I am not doing anything wrong and do not pass judgement on those who do have a passport BUT when I brought this topic up in the past everyone passed judgement on me for not having a passport!! Amazing!

It just made sense like crazed mentioned.........why be caught off guard when it does become a requirement.......

There is no date as of now for any changes after June 1 and if they did decide to announce changes they aren't going to say OK everyone is required to0 have a passport in 2 weeks.

I don't thnk you would be caught off guard and they'd provide plenty of advance notice.

Look it only took about 5 years from the first announcement to get to this point.

Bill

From HLS website

Note: Cruise Ship Passengers: U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Sheila

AHHH

But what constitutes a "closed loop Cruise"?

Yes, cruises that begin and end at the same US port

but a closed loop cruise can only visit those ports that are on the approved WHTI list.. Belize and Roatan are NOT on the approved WHTI list, therefore it is unclear whether a ship visiting these countries are considered "Closed Loop" cruises.

There is no date as of now for any changes after June 1 and if they did decide to announce changes they aren't going to say OK everyone is required to0 have a passport in 2 weeks.

I don't thnk you would be caught off guard and they'd provide plenty of advance notice.

Look it only took about 5 years from the first announcement to get to this point.

Bill

I recall.....some months back......maybe a year ago.......before they changed the dates again:p that people were freaking out because they sent in for their passports and it was taking an unusually long time before they were recieving them........due to the over abundance of filings.......

People were freaking because they still hadn't received them and their cruises were in a week or two.......at that point they had no birth certificate (mailed to get passport) and no passport:D

It will happen again........trust me:D

I recall.....some months back......maybe a year ago.......before they changed the dates again:p that people were freaking out because they sent in for their passports and it was taking an unusually long time before they were recieving them........due to the over abundance of filings.......

People were freaking because they still hadn't received them and their cruises were in a week or two.......at that point they had no birth certificate (mailed to get passport) and no passport:D

It will happen again........trust me:D

K,

I totally agree with you on the "rush" that will ensue when a new firm date is announced. Not only will there be long waits and a higher % of errors [it IS Gummint work!] but the price will NOT remain at $100. With our present Government spending insanity, I would not be at all surprised to see $300.00 passports. [They will then be Required by LAW and NO competition, WHY NOT?] I think my first one was $40. including everything.

From HLS website

Note: Cruise Ship Passengers: U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Sheila

AHHH

But what constitutes a "closed loop Cruise"?

Yes, cruises that begin and end at the same US port

but a closed loop cruise can only visit those ports that are on the approved WHTI list.. Belize and Roatan are NOT on the approved WHTI list, therefore it is unclear whether a ship visiting these countries are considered "Closed Loop" cruises.

We booked the Legend for Nov 1 and my TA stated we will need a passport for this cruise. She even needed our passport # for the documents to be completed. This is one of the few cruise that you will need a passport.Was not worried because we have them.

My wife and kids don't have them, and we plan to travel (via cruise ship and land) quite a bit over the next couple years. They've never had to go anywhere that they would be required, and probably won't for a good number of years.

With the rules being so confusing, it's probably not worth going on another cruise without passports. Still, I won't be passing judgement on others who risk it.

We have pasports, got them in the 80's when they cost much less and renewed in 2002 when it was less expensive than today. I think I read somewhere that if you have a problem in a foreign country with an accident or dealings with the police that a passport is almost a necessity. Has anyone have personal knowledge or experience with this?

Frankly, I don't understand why people are so resistant to getting passports. Yes, they are not as cheap as a DL or certified copy of a birth certificate... but if $100 is going to make or break your vacation you probably need to stay home and save your money anyway.

I would never travel outside the U.S. (including international waters) without definitive, easily verifiable proof that I am a US citizen (i.e. a passport). If $100 seems expensive to some what about the thousands (for temporary documents) that you may be required to shell out to get back into the country if all you have is a state ID and a birth certificate?

Here in the UK you need a passport for any internal flights, also even though we are part of the EU you cannot fly to any EU destinations without a passport. They cost about eighty pounds each and children have to have a separate one from their parents. The passports only last for ten years. We now also have biometric passports which have a chip with encrypted details about you.

If your passport has less than six months to run some airlines will not allow you to use them for standard flights but it is ok for package holidays that you have booked.

We have limited photo identification materials, you can now have a photo id drivers license. Passports are often used by young people to prove their age when out drinking or for buying cigarettes - you have to be 18 in the UK to do either

OK I have a question. I understand about the closed loop cruises but what if there is a problem like a hurricane where the ship will dock somewhere other than where it left from. This has happened in Florida in the past. Now this is not a closed loop cruise. Would the government make a exception? Even the Splendor had to make a stop in Cabo to meet the requirement of a foreign stop. Although no one could get off, there was no exception to this rule. We've had passports since 1981 so I'm not worried for us but I'm curious anyway.

We have pasports, got them in the 80's when they cost much less and renewed in 2002 when it was less expensive than today. I think I read somewhere that if you have a problem in a foreign country with an accident or dealings with the police that a passport is almost a necessity. Has anyone have personal knowledge or experience with this?

Happened to me once in Paris. Of course, you have to have a passport to even enter France. But at a dept. store, I bought a bunch of items and didn't notice that the clerk did not charge me for a small purse (I think she thought it was mine that I had set on the counter). When the buzzer rang as I left, you would have thought I was some kind of terrorist. No one would own up to speaking English, so I had to get myself out of the situation by using my less than fluent French. They asked me for my "papiers" and told me I was lucky I had my passport with me or I could have ended up resolving the whole situation at the police station. My poor 14 y/o daughter was shaking like a leaf, thinking I was going to be hauled off to jail, leaving her by herself.

What an excellent idea!!!!!!!!! WOW. I really like that. I may have too implement that with my family, I have mine, it just needs to be renewed again, however noone in my family has one yet. AND I stress - YET. :)

Archived