US Direct not in full operation

Hi,

Just for a heads up, I found out that the US Direct program is not in full operation for 2009.

My wife and I were set to use US Direct in June from the Vancouver port to Vancouver airport (have been planning this for over a year). Now on the YVR Airport Authority website, I found that our airline (US Airways) is no longer participating. Thought it may have just been an error. But when emailed the port authority about it, I was also informed in two separate emails that:

First: "The expedited passenger facility will not be open in June, however we will look into the possibility of your bags being transferred from the cruise ship to your final destination and get back to you as soon as possible."

Second: "As of today, the port to airport portion of US Direct is not open in July to any cruise or airlines. The cruise lines are currently in negotiation to determine whether it is possible to open this facility earlier than July 3rd. That being said, the airport to port portion of US Direct will be opening this Monday, May 25th.

With regards to your luggage, it will be picked up at your stateroom the evening prior to disembarkation and will be transported to YVR for your pickup in the US Departures terminal before checking in for your flights. (All of this is explained in further detail to all buses arriving at YVR).

For the most accurate information we would suggest confirming with your cruise line while on board prior to disembarkation regarding the luggage transfer."

So I guess we may just have to wait until we board the ship before we find out anything more.

Bruce

Boo, I am very disappointed to hear this! Our flights home from Vancouver in July just got all messed up, and we had to change flights. (We had booked through Orbitz, and were due to fly from Vancouver, to Dallas, to Dayton.... They must've cancelled our Dallas to Dayton flight because we noticed last night that our Dallas to Dayton flight was due to depart 5 hours before we were set to LAND in Dallas!).

We tried to book a 2:00 PM flight from Vancouver on United, because some family members were on this flight, but Orbitz could not do it. They could only do an 11:11 AM United flight. (Interesting, though... the 2:00 PM flight had seats left, and the 11:11 AM flight was already full.... so obviously they overbooked!)

I knew we would have to self-disembark off the ship, but was happy to see info on the Us Direct. If it is not in operation, we are just going to have to pray that nothing goes wrong and we make our flight on time! The Port Authority website lists RCI and United as participating, so I will have to contact them and get the scoop also I guess...

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if US Direct is operating yet from the port to airport? I am in a similar situation as the previous poster. We had booked air via Travelocity and our early afternoon flight was changed and we are now on a flight leaving at 11:10am. I am very worried we will not make the flight....:eek:

It's in operation for Princess - not sure about other lines.

Hi,

Haven't used this with Princess. For RCI, we need a bus transfer ($36pp) and "luggage valet" ($20pp). I saw that Princess only charged $20pp for the bus transfer. Do you know what Princess calls its "luggage valet" (transfer) and its cost?

Thanks.

Archived