If you could only pick ONE excursion on the MoBay,GC,Coz cruise what would it be?

C. Anne

Paying for a family of 6 is making it hard to decide which port to take an excursion in. Here's what we have narrowed the choices to. What would you do if you could only pick one expensive excursion for the whole trip?

Jamaica - Sunset Beach (if no excursion we were thinking Dr. Cave)

Grand Cayman - Tour to Stingray City, snorkel, and Rum Point (if no excursion, 7 mile beach and Eden Rock)

Cozumel - Passion Island or Nachi Cocom (if neither of these, we were thinking Paradise Beach for a cheaper choice)

Sooo... if you could only do one excursion from above what would it be, and are my alternative plans for cheaper good choices?

Thanks for your input....:o

Don't do an excursion on GC--those things are way too easy to do on your own. No sense in paying someone for things you can do by yourself! GC is easy to get around---there are buses at the port. The beaches are free and public, with bathrooms, restaurants, etc...all in easy walking distance of all the beach areas.

Don't do an excursion on GC--those things are way too easy to do on your own. No sense in paying someone for things you can do by yourself! GC is easy to get around---there are buses at the port. The beaches are free and public, with bathrooms, restaurants, etc...all in easy walking distance of all the beach areas.

Don't you have to book a tour to do Stingray City, Coral Reefs, and Rum Point Beach?

We have been to Doctor's Cave, Paradise Beach, Seven Mile Beach and Rum Point. It sounds like you want to mainly do beaches, which you can easily do on your own without excursions.

Depending on your children's ages and whether or not they would enjoy Stingray city/snorkeling, I have heard great things about Nativeway in Grand Cayman(private excursions are usually much more reasonably priced and less crowded than ship sponsored ones). If the children are too young for the excursion, you can easily hire a taxi($4 pp) to Seven Mile Beach(Royal Palms is a good choice inc. clean restrooms and restaurant/bar). Taxi's are ready when you are ready to go back to the ship. We have also rented a car and driven around in Grand Cayman to Rum Point(it's a nice beach some shade, with clean restrooms and restaurant/bar). If you do this, you can stop at different places along the way. Take a taxi to airport area car rental and they will have a map of the area for you. They will shuttle you back to the port.

Doctor's Cave is a nice beach with restaurant/bar and restrooms(easy to get there and back, just tell the people in the port where you want to go and they will direct you to a bus). Taxi's are readily available when you are ready to come back to the ship.

Paradise Beach is better for families, with wristbands for water activities, a restaurant and restrooms. Right next door is San Francisco Beach with restaurant/bar and pool. Taxis avavilable to/from.

Enjoy!

Don't you have to book a tour to do Stingray City, Coral Reefs, and Rum Point Beach?

Yes, you are correct.

Here's my 2 cents. ;)

Mo Bay - I refused to pay for Sunset Beach Resort when it had the same things as the ship did (aka pool and food)

Passion Island - a great beach. Paradise is just as good for a cheaper option.

Grand Caymen - The HIGHLIGHT of most trips. Stingray City. And yes, you have to book an excursion there. For many, stingray city was one of the most memorable excursions ever. So this is one not to miss.

I would vote for stingray city in Grand Cayman too. We used Moby Dick Tours.

For our next cruise:

Cozumel we will probably do a beach day at Mr Sanchos.

Grand Cayman - We probably do Seven Mile Beach or kinda make it a shopping at the port/lay around the ship day. We went to Stingray City last cruise. And our next cruise has 4 port days. We will probably spend the main money on excursions in Belize and Roatan.

Hey,

This was all great advice. So many people don't comment on Jamaica - should we really not get off the boat? I have only heard a couple of people say how great Dr. Cave was and that was it.

Carey

Hey,

This was all great advice. So many people don't comment on Jamaica - should we really not get off the boat? I have only heard a couple of people say how great Dr. Cave was and that was it.

Carey

I've only been to Jamaica once and Dh and I did an excursion (beach) and had a blast. I would get off, but just do a tour. Of course, if you also want to do a tour in GC, then you might have to juggle things. I also did the stingray city tour in August, and it was really something to see. The rays are big, but very gentle. It was about a half hour boat ride out there too, but we're glad we did it. Next time I would be happy with just the beach in GC though. Whatever you choose, I know you and your family will have a great time!

Hey,

Carey

If we went back to Montego Bay, we would go back to Doctor's Cave Beach. I'll try to find pics and post for you if you'd like.

Hi! I would highly recommend booking excursions in Grand Cayman and Cozumel on your own. We always do. We were just in GC in January. We booked a stingray tour through Sotos Tours for $30 per person. They took us to coral reef to snorkel and then to stingray city. They even stopped the boat on the way back and dove down and brought a starfish up so the we could take pics and the kids could touch it. Transportation to and from the pier was included in the price. Afterwards they dropped us off at seagrape on 7mile beach. We had to pay a taxi back to the ship. It was a great day. We had infants with us as well. So they don't have an age limit. They bring food and allow you to feed them, hold them, and position it so it gives you a back rub. I would highly recommend them. My kids loved it. In Cozumel, we always go back to Paradise Beach. It's my kids fave spot. Free to get in and free chairs and umbrellas. $10 wristband to use the water toys. It's a short cab ride right from the pier. I haven't been to Jamaica in years so can't comment.

Dr Cave beach is awesome. No need to do excursion to get there. Just take a cab or a shared van (for per person price) from port for a 15 minute ride to the beach. Entry to beach is $5 per adult and $2.5 (or maybe $3) per child. Lovely beach. So gentle and lovely sand.

So many people don't comment on Jamaica - should we really not get off the boat? I have only heard a couple of people say how great Dr. Cave was and that was it.

Of the three ports, Jamaica is the one port where I would book an excursion and not go on my own - but I wouldn't stay on the ship, either. We're going next February and are debating between a catamaran sail and snorkel excursion and a bird sanctuary tour followed by Doctor's Cave, both offered by an independent tour operator that has good reviews on the ports of call board.

Our last Western was in 2007 – we were a group of three including an 11 YO - my experiences with private operators are now 2 years old :

If I understand your question - I can only do1 excursion between the 3 stops I would choose Ray, Reef, and Rum Point (we did this through NativeWay who I had used before). I would be disappointed to go to GC and not do the Stingrays (yes I have done them three times now)

We had great and inexpensive day at Paradise Beach.

My memory was some people noted that Drs. Cave Beach was very crowed but that is relative. Make sure you get one of the official Jamaican Cabs not just a unregulated car for hire. We used A-Z Jamaica Planners to climb Mayfield Falls - It was a lot of fun and I would use them again but Jamaica is not on my list for favorite ports. I might be tempted to stay on the ship.

Paying for a family of 6 is making it hard to decide which port to take an excursion in. Here's what we have narrowed the choices to. What would you do if you could only pick one expensive excursion for the whole trip?

Jamaica - Sunset Beach (if no excursion we were thinking Dr. Cave)

Grand Cayman - Tour to Stingray City, snorkel, and Rum Point (if no excursion, 7 mile beach and Eden Rock)

Cozumel - Passion Island or Nachi Cocom (if neither of these, we were thinking Paradise Beach for a cheaper choice)

Sooo... if you could only do one excursion from above what would it be, and are my alternative plans for cheaper good choices?

Thanks for your input....:o

Another vote for StingrayCity. Not to be missed!

Archived