Just back - Norwegian Dawn - May 17th to May 25th - Ask me questions!

grandarm

How was the weather on the island and how was the trip across the Atlantic? We are in our first AFT cabin and I'm wondering if I might feel the sway of the ship and feel a bit queasy. Have always been mid ship on all previous trips.

We had great weather on the island - it was probably around 75 to 80 degrees all three days and sunny. It rained a little on Wednesday night around 9pm or so but ended quickly. It was windy on Thursday and Horseshoe Bay did not rent unbrellas that day at the beach because of it.

The trip across the Atlantic was uneventful. You could feel the movement of the ship on Monday but it was slight. Going back up was very calm. I have had trips up the Atlantic on previous cruises where I felt like I was on a roller coaster and this trip was a breeze.

How was the weather on the island and how was the trip across the Atlantic? We are in our first AFT cabin and I'm wondering if I might feel the sway of the ship and feel a bit queasy. Have always been mid ship on all previous trips.

How did you like the new menus in Venetian and Aqua? Did the allure of escargots and lobster every night draw big crowds??:eek:;):D

Would also enjoy hearing what you thought of the entertainers, music, etc.

Did you have a Meet & Greet?

How about the Officer's Dinner? Did you participate?

Can't wait to hear more.

I didn't care for the new menu's. This was our first time on Norwegian and the freestyle took some getting used to but that wasn't the problem. Aqua and Venetian have seperate menu's but they do not change from day to day. I will be posting the menu's later but after you go to each restaurant once you really don't want to go again - which to me seemed like an underhanded way of getting you to pay for the specialty restaurants - which we wound up doing and hadn't planned on. Aqua and Venetian were crowded each night but really only at the most popular times which was at 5:30 and around 7 - I don't think it was because of the menu.

As far as music and entertainment - we went to see Fire and Ice almost every night at Dazzles - Rosie really puts on a great show and has amazing energy. The show's at the Stardust weren't anything special. We saw Band on the Run which was a typical song and dance cruise show. I was dissapointed with Bollywood but that seemed to just be us - everyone else seemed to enjoy it. We missed the comedian, magician, and Second City - mostly because we went back out onto Bermuda at night.

We did not do the meet and greet or the officer's dinner so I don't know about them but I know the captain was at the Salsa brunch a few times during the week.

How did you like the new menus in Venetian and Aqua? Did the allure of escargots and lobster every night draw big crowds??:eek:;):D

Would also enjoy hearing what you thought of the entertainers' date=' music, etc.

Did you have a Meet & Greet?

How about the Officer's Dinner? Did you participate?

Can't wait to hear more.[/quote']

We went to Horseshoe Bay and saw three of them on the beach. We didn't really go into the water nor did we go to Snorkel Park so I'm not sure how it was there.

Are still a lot of Porteqese (sp) Man of Wars at the South Shore Beaches? Any at Snorkel Park?

It is new. They each have a seperate menu but it does not change from night to night. They do have one appetizer, soup and entree called the Chef's Daily Selection that changes each night but that is the same in both the Venetian and Aqua.

Welcome Home!

Is this something new, the same menu in the Venetian and Aqua every night? I know they had the regulars on the menu, but how can the menu not change?

Thanks,

Bella

It is new. They each have a seperate menu but it does not change from night to night. They do have one appetizer, soup and entree called the Chef's Daily Selection that changes each night but that is the same in both the Venetian and Aqua.

I'm not sure I like that concept. I wonder how long it'll stay that way. NCL has done some amazing things that go against traditional cruising. But, I hope this trend doesn't stick....

I'm not sure I like that concept. I wonder how long it'll stay that way. NCL has done some amazing things that go against traditional cruising. But, I hope this trend doesn't stick....

We should see the complete menu for both Aqua amd Venetian before coming to any conclusions. If popular items like lobster and rack of lamb will be available every night in one of the main restaurants, I don't think too many people will complain. It would relieve us of the problem of seeking the main restaurant menu before booking a specialty restaurant to make sure we don't miss one of our favorites. I think most passengers dine at least one night in one of the specialty restaurants. Under this new system, they could make reservations on the night most convenient to them without worrying they may miss something special in the main restaurant. I look forward to the OP posting the complete nightly menu in Aqua and Venetian. Assuming each of them will have at least five entrees to choose from, that would mean ten choices on a seven day cruise in the main restaurants alone. I won't complain if I have to have lobster twice on a cruise.

Wow! This is not good news. We were thinking of cruising NCL again, but this sure puts a new perspective on things.

We should see the complete menu for both Aqua amd Venetian before coming to any conclusions. If popular items like lobster and rack of lamb will be available every night in one of the main restaurants, I don't think too many people will complain. It would relieve us of the problem of seeking the main restaurant menu before booking a specialty restaurant to make sure we don't miss one of our favorites. I think most passengers dine at least one night in one of the specialty restaurants. Under this new system, they could make reservations on the night most convenient to them without worrying they may miss something special in the main restaurant. I look forward to the OP posting the complete nightly menu in Aqua and Venetian. Assuming each of them will have at least five entrees to choose from, that would mean ten choices on a seven day cruise in the main restaurants alone. I won't complain if I have to have lobster twice on a cruise.

Good point. I wouldn't complain if I have lobster every night on a cruise!!! :D

I just look forward to all the different selections each night. As far as choosing which night for the specialty restaurants, you can still do that. The whole week's main DR menus are available at the purser's desk. That's how we make our dining decisions.

Welcome Home!

Is this something new, the same menu in the Venetian and Aqua every night? I know they had the regulars on the menu, but how can the menu not change?

Thanks,

Bella

Yes, this is brand new and on the Dawn only (for now).

I agree with Dolphins. Until I see the new menus and try them out I'll reserve opinion. From what I've heard, escargots, surf & turf, rack of lamb, grilled salmon, lobster surf and more surf and other quality items are available every night. For many of us who do mix it up between the DR's and the specialties, the new menus sound quite appealing.

I'm glad they have a daily special appetizer, soup and entree to keep it interesting.

Will be very interested in hearing what others just off the Dawn have to say.

Yes' date=' this is brand new and on the Dawn only (for now).

I agree with Dolphins. Until I see the new menus and try them out I'll reserve opinion. From what I've heard, escargots, surf & turf, rack of lamb, grilled salmon, lobster surf and more surf and other quality items are available every night. For many of us who do mix it up between the DR's and the specialties, the new menus sound quite appealing.

I'm glad they have a daily special appetizer, soup and entree to keep it interesting.

Will be very interested in hearing what others just off the Dawn have to say.[/quote']

Is this something they are planning to do fleetwide, the Dawn being the the subject? I can't wait to see the menu. I guess I make an opinion then.

There is always the buffet:)

Another question. Do you know how often the buses run from the dockyard to the beaches and Hamilton? (every 20 minutes, every 1/2 hour...etc..) iIs it easier to take the ferry instead to Hamilton? How long of a ride is it by bus vs. ferry?

my wife & i were on the 5/3-5/10 cruise to bermuda. the only items that stayed the same on the menu were the alternate food steak, chicken, salad etc. these items were on the right hand side of the menu. every nite we had a new list of great food for dinner. :confused::mad::(:rolleyes:

golfcrazy,

You had the old menus. The change took place on the most recent cruise.

LOWTYD,

No announcement regarding other ships (for now). Generally when they try something out they select one ship to start. This time it's the Dawn.

I've never been to Hamilton but perhaps others will help you. At the Dockyard during popular times, they ran an express bus directly to Horseshoe. At other times the bus makes local stops and you can get off for beaches like Church's Bay.

I am just back from the 5/17 to Bermuda. It's much easier to take the ferry to Hamilton. They have a high speed ferry that leaves right in front of the boat. The buses take longer and can be crowded (on the return ride). My recommendation is to take the Ferry when it's possible.

The lack of choices is a problem, especially if you hadn't planned on going to the restaurants that charge a fee. How many times in a week would you go to the same restaurant? There are five choices, many of them seafood, which we don't eat. We were definitely dissapointed. I had the same appetizer for three meals - it gets old real quick and we wound up going to some of the specialty restaurants. I've said it earlier - I think it's an underhanded way of getting people to eat at the restaurants that charge a fee. Plus, if as you said - most people plan on going to the other restaurants at least once - you're still left going to Aqua and Venetian 3 times each. You start to not look forward to prime rib.

The ferry is definitely quicker than the bus. They run a ferry to Hamilton (The Big Ferry) specifically for the Dawn right on the dockyard where you come off the ship which leaves approx. every 30 minutes or you can walk to the actual ferry terminal (which is less than 1/2 mile away). Those ferry's leave every 30 minutes to an hour depending on the time. They go to Hamilton or St. George. The ferry to Hamilton takes about 20 minutes and to St. George it's about 40 minutes. We took the bus from the dockyard to Horseshoe Bay and that took about 25 minutes but it was a special direct bus, not a local. We took the bus from Hamilton back to the dockyard and that took about an hour but it was a local bus. We would definitely take the ferry next time but I always like seeing the locals, so it depends on your schedule. We also took the bus from St. George to the Swizzle Inn and that was only about 15-20 minutes, The aquarium/zoo was about another 15 minutes ride from there.

Another question. Do you know how often the buses run from the dockyard to the beaches and Hamilton? (every 20 minutes, every 1/2 hour...etc..) iIs it easier to take the ferry instead to Hamilton? How long of a ride is it by bus vs. ferry?

Quick note regarding the menus I posted - the bar menu is from Pearly Kings Pub and may be different at other bars. Also, the prices for spirits is only for a shot - if you want a mixed drink it's about $2.00 more than the listed price. I'm not sure why they list it that way.

I should have a link to the Freestyle Daily's up shortly.

-Melanie

Thank you so very much for posting the menus. I am very disappointed to say the least with the choices, as we too do not eat seafood. Besides the Chefs daily specials was there a choice of foods being offered every day as in the past or was that discontinued also?

As far as I know it was discontinued. We wound up going to Aqua once and Venetian three times. I had prime rib twice which had lost it's appeal and I love prime rib! I usually have a hard time deciding on what to get each evening and that was lost with these menus.

Thank you so very much for posting the menus. I am very disappointed to say the least with the choices, as we too do not eat seafood. Besides the Chefs daily specials was there a choice of foods being offered every day as in the past or was that discontinued also?

Archived