Comparing Voyager Class to Norwegian Gem

We are considering taking one of the July sailings on the Norwegian Gem out of Barcelona (partly because the RCI sailings on dates we can do are full or nearly so). We have two teenagers. All of our previous cruises have been on the Voyager-class Royal Caribbean ships. Our teens are very focused on the number of teens and the suitability for the "teen hang-around" lifestyle.

Any thoughts on how well-suited the Gem is for us? What significant differences (plus or minus) would we notice? We are nonsmokers, nondrinkers, and pretty healthy eaters. We enjoy most of the on-ship entertainment and activities, including somewhat goofy stuff like trivia.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I have a biased opinion. Only on Explorer, Naviagator and Adventure and Freedom. Never was on NCL but know people who were on both. We like Voyager and Freedom class. Think about the difference, you'll probably answer your own question. You've been there.

Again........ just my opinion.

Voyager/Freedom class ships are our favorites but we have been on several NCL ships. We were on a pre-inaugural on the NCL Pearl and had a great time on our one-nighter. We've never had luck with NCL Freestyle dining/service so they only come to mind when they offer something unique in an itinerary...and that hasn't been the case in a while. We find both food and service not up to par of other cruiselines. I don't know what the kids activities are like, but I would expect V and F to have many more than Gem.

Meditteranean cruises are very different from Caribbean/Mexican.

As much as I like Voyager class ships when cruising with teenager, I wouldn't pick them for this itin. I don't need him tired and sleepy when we need to go on the next day 4-8 hour tour.

Archived